mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2007 XTR vs. Formula

OK, I know there has been some good info on formula here that I searched, but I can't find anyones impressions of the new XTR disks.

I"m doing a new SC superlight build, and I HATE noise, like low maintenance and relatively light (although on the formula, I'm thinking k24 since it's tough to justify $250 for .25 lbs and I'm not sure about gold).

I have xtr w/ xt levers on my current superlight and they've been pretty good.

So, anyone have experience on the xtr? compared to formula?

thx,

Holiday

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Formula Oro Puro are widely regarded as the best brakes in the world in terms of weight-power/modulation.
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have xtr with i.s. calipers (two rear calipers to enable me to run 180 front / 160 rear) and am using Hope mono mini rotors. I also have Biancos with 180/ 160 and the adaptors and discs to run 200/ 180.
    Weight wise, if you will need postmount xtr, then they will be heavier than mine -240gms without disc, the biancos are 290 (both front 180 with everything) but the Puros are lighter, so you can work that one out.
    Build quality is as good as it gets on them both, looks wise- i wouldn't be so keen on gold calipers and tigerstripe hoses, but lots of people must like their looks.
    I think the formula levers restrict the position of shifters a bit more than xtr but its not a deal breaker.
    I am not mad about the lever shape on xtr, i don't think its as comfortable to use as saint/xt, another thing about xtr is the pad clearance- its huge, no chance of rubbing discs even if buckled slightly, but the pay off is that the levers need to be run further from the bar to take up the slack and give a firm feel without the lever hitting the bar. The formulas also have bite point adjust which does work well, even if the range of adjustment isn't huge.
    Price wise the xtr are amazing value- i've seen them for 100 with c/lock or 6 bolt disc (in UK) and puros are well above that price.
    I haven't really experienced the 'amazing' modulation that formulas are supposed to have, i have found that 200/180 is just too strong for trail riding and tend to lock the back wheel up a lot, i'll be switching back to 180/160. This is using Goodridge sintered pads BTW, but i have used them in other brakes and in Saints they do give amazing control. Though to be fair i haven't tried them at 180/160 for long at all.
    In the end i'd be happy using either of them for xc, and if going on a bigger bike then the formulas.
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 06-06-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx for the info.
    I think i'm going k24

cheers,