MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

New question here. 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC, King ISO, Hope Mono M4 Compatibility issues?

2005 Fox Vanilla RLC, King ISO, Hope Mono M4 Compatibility issues?

Is anyone out there running this exact set-up?

I'm specking out a new bike and this is my preferred build. I'm aware there are compatibility issues when combining Fox forks, King ISO hubs, and different brands of hydraulic brakes. I already have a set of King ISO wheels I plan on using, but I've yet to purchase the fork or brakes.

So, before drop some serious money on my new ride I would like to know if there are any serious compatibility issues with the aforementioned combo that can't be easily resolved.

Thanks in advance.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser

I'm specking out a new bike and this is my preferred build. I'm aware there are compatibility issues when combining Fox forks, King ISO hubs, and different brands of hydraulic brakes. I already have a set of King ISO wheels I plan on using, but I've yet to purchase the fork or brakes.

So, before drop some serious money on my new ride I would like to know if there are any serious compatibility issues with the aforementioned combo that can't be easily resolved.

Thanks in advance.

EndUser
    Hey, can you please point me to a thread/website which discusses these compatibility issues? I was planning on 2005 Fox Talas RLC + King ISO hubs + Avid Mechanical Discs myself...
    [edit]
    nevermind... I read the post below. One guy did mention that Fox and CK ISO hubs were a bad combination in terms of disc brake compatibility, so we might be out of luck?
    Last edited by burndtjamb; 01-27-2005 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

nope..

im running that fork w/ a King hub and Deore disc brakes..works fine..

Quote Originally Posted by burndtjamb
    Hey, can you please point me to a thread/website which discusses these compatibility issues? I was planning on 2005 Fox Talas RLC + King ISO hubs + Avid Mechanical Discs myself...
    [edit]
    nevermind... I read the post below. One guy did mention that Fox and CK ISO hubs were a bad combination in terms of disc brake compatibility, so we might be out of luck?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser

Well I'm running close to that. '05 Fox Talas RLC, King ISO and Hope Mono M4 with 185mm rotor. No issues although tolerences are tight.

mtbr member
    I can't speak for the Hope brakes, but when there was the big discussion of Kinng ISO& Foxx forks, I took the time to compare all of the specs (supplied by Shimano) for ISO, and found that the fork was in spec and the hubs were way out of spec. Blame the Kinng hubs for any incompatability.

My rotor is so close to the adapter that it rubs during normal riding. Not all the time, but you do get the Shing-Shing sound, periodically.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm running the following combination: Fox '05 Vanilla RLC with King ISO hubs and Hope Mono MIni brakes, and I'm actually a little concerned. I've gota little bit of rubbing in the front brake which ordinarily wouldn't be a big deal to adjust out. Except that I would need to remove a washer to correctly reposition the caliper, and there are no washers to be removed. Its not to the point that I can't ride - I just get that annoying rubbing sound that I can't get rid of. I suspect that I can probably bend the rotor a smidge to get rid of it for now, but it makes me nervous to see that there is practically no space visible between the rotor and the caliper closes to the fork (where the caliper is mounted).

For what its worth, I haven't looked at this closely yet. I don't know if there is an issue with the Hopes and the piston not retracting fully that could be contributing to the above problem. To be determined....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fwiw, I have a F100x, King Iso, MonoM4 180mm. The combo works great. It did take some time, as is well documented, for the original set up.
    Interestingly, if I don't have the skewer in the exact same place after wheel removal, there is that "shing/shing" rub, so there isn't much tolerance.

Kush

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Sounds familiar...

This one sounds very close to my proposed build as the caliper mounts are virtually the same on both brakes. I tend to agree with most of the observations on this website that it's a CK ISO problem, but it looks the tight fit isnít' a deal breaker. One of my LBS has a facing tool so I'm not going to get too concerned if I can't get it work out of the box.

I'm currently running the Old Hope Mini's (circa 2002) on CK ISO hubs with a 2001 Marz. Atom Race and I had to face fork tabs about a 1mm to get the caliper centered over the rotor using NO spacers. Have you had your fork tabs faced yet?? And yes, make sure your pistons are centering correctly. Hope seals are notoriously stiff making for a frustrating break in period. My Hopes needed a lot of coddling the first month, but it's worth it in the end. I still think they have the best lever feel and modulation of any disk brake out there.

Thanks again,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.