mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2004 Trek 4300 disc upgrade?

I have a newbie question for you all. My stock direct pull brakes suck. One of the reasons I purchased the Trek 4300 was for the future upgrade to disc brakes. So, my questions are.. What components would I need to upgrade to disk? I would be going to a mechanical setup. Do I need new wheels and new brake levers? What disc brake setup are compatible to direct pull levers if any?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Weekend Warrior
    Mar 2004
    I belive the 4300 comes with a disc option so your wheelset and frame and fork is all set up for discs. All you will need is a front and rear disc brake set. If you go mechanical you can keep your brake levers. This will be a good thing is you have the integrated brake lever shifter combo. If you go hydraulic, which is my personal favorite, then you will need new brake levers so if you have the integrated shifter/brake lever combo you need to get new shifters. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    pwrplay27,

Thank you for your help. I will go mechanical for now. Any good mechanical disc brakes that I should look into?

Weekend Warrior
    Mar 2004
    Speaking from experience, I would ONLY go with Avid Mechanical discs. If you shop around you can find them for about $70/ea. I tried a set of Hayes mechanicals and they were the worst experience I have ever had. Having set up Hope, Hayes and Shimano Hydraulics myself I thought the Hayes mechaincals would be a piece of cake. Ended up being the worst brakes I have ever had to deal with.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmezell
    I have a newbie question for you all. My stock direct pull brakes suck. One of the reasons I purchased the Trek 4300 was for the future upgrade to disc brakes. So, my questions are.. What components would I need to upgrade to disk? I would be going to a mechanical setup. Do I need new wheels and new brake levers? What disc brake setup are compatible to direct pull levers if any?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    From what I can tell from Trek's web site the 4300 does not have disc-ready wheels. If they are there will be a flange on the left side of the hub with six bolt holes in it.

The disc option for the 4300 uses a different wheelset.

You are going to need new wheels, the disc brakes (Avid mechs are the best choice) and the bolt-on rear disc mount from your Trek dealer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well that bursts my bubble. Oh well. I could just get the front disc right?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmezell
    Well that bursts my bubble. Oh well. I could just get the front disc right?
    Why does it burst your bubble? Cost? Yes, you can just add the front disc now to save money.

Full discs are doable for $250-300 (you will need new brake cables and housing, too). Spendy upgrade for a $360 bike. Would have been much cheaper to buy the 4300 Disc in the first place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    i think my stock 4500 comes with the same brakes, and, ok i've spent quite a while setting them up but for V's they work very well,
    but if you wont disks of any sort you'll have to change the hubs [or just new wheels] which even before you start thinking about disk brakes is a big out lay for the price you paid for the bike