mtbr member

2 XT Hydraulic Problems: - Rotor Removal & Very Tight Pull on Lever!!

Hi.

1) - I have the Park Tool FR5 Lock Ring removal tool to remove the cassette from my wheel....works fine. I was also under the impression the very same tool will remove the Rotor from the same wheel....it will not. Seems like it will engage the splines if I force it a wee bit, but not sure I should be doing that - Any advice? am I using the correct tool?

2) XT Brakes - working fine 2 days ago. Rode, cleaned up bike, now they have a very "Tight" pull on the lever...IE - It takes a very small finger pull to fully engage the brake! - I haven't touched anything! - What can I do to "loosen" up the pull on the lever as they are way too responsive for my liking??

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.
    Cheers -

banned
    Apr 2010
    #2: push the pistons back in and then pull lever to reset pistons.

mtbr member
    Thanks junktrunk.

Just to confirm: - remove pads, push in pistons with something like a tire lever, then pull the lever to reset.......re-install pads and.......done??

banned
    Apr 2010
    No, do not remove the pads unless you want to damage the pistons. Just use something flat that won't damage the pads and pry them apart, back and forth. However, I'm going to recommend you take your bike to a qualified mechanic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbitSlims
    Hi.

1) - I have the Park Tool FR5 Lock Ring removal tool to remove the cassette from my wheel....works fine. I was also under the impression the very same tool will remove the Rotor from the same wheel....it will not. Seems like it will engage the splines if I force it a wee bit, but not sure I should be doing that - Any advice? am I using the correct tool?Yes in theory its the right tool but I have/had 3 spline tools because one will work one hub will not work on another. Variance in wall thickness of the tools, pesky centering pins, and tool depth can make a tool unuseable sometimes.

2) XT Brakes - working fine 2 days ago. Rode, cleaned up bike, now they have a very "Tight" pull on the lever...IE - It takes a very small finger pull to fully engage the brake! - I haven't touched anything! - What can I do to "loosen" up the pull on the lever as they are way too responsive for my liking??Something is not right, could be some air in the lines and you need a bleed or some crap is lodged in the pad/caliper. Like what was said above take it to a mechanic

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.
    Cheers -