mtbr member

2 piece rotor VS 1 piece

I seem to over heat and warp rotors allot. Any one have any experience with then new 2 piece ones for mountain bikes? I know they work really well for motorcycles. Are they worth the extra money for the mountain bike?

b a n n e d
    They won't shed heat any better and in fact, my 2-piece rotors warp much easier than their 1-piece counterpart.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Perhaps you need to upsize your rotors, change your pads, and/or change your braking techniques if you are regularly warping rotors. A given size rotor can only hold so much thermal energy, and once you move beyond that it needs to go somewhere (hubs, calipers) or you loose braking performance.

Two-piece are lighter and can be made to shed heat faster - some center sections are formed as a sort of fan that will move more air over the friction surface as the wheel rotates. They aren't going to be a solution for warped rotors themselves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Perhaps you need to upsize your rotors, change your pads, and/or change your braking techniques if you are regularly warping rotors. A given size rotor can only hold so much thermal energy, and once you move beyond that it needs to go somewhere (hubs, calipers) or you loose braking performance.

Two-piece are lighter and can be made to shed heat faster - some center sections are formed as a sort of fan that will move more air over the friction surface as the wheel rotates. They aren't going to be a solution for warped rotors themselves.
    I was thinking about going to a 7" in the front. Its hard to brake less. I am on the Colorado front range. So we have allot of long vary steep down hills. And I have been spending allot of time chasing a friend that is a pro. The brakes get allot of abuse.

b a n n e d
    What brakes are you running?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Helmetless Crasher
    Could be poor braking technique. Generally, you should be either "on" the brakes or "off". Riding the brakes or repeatedly braking too soon will over-heat them.

Let go, Luke . . . use the force . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    What brakes are you running?
    Was running Avid Elixir Cr's. I just switched to Hayes Stroker Trails with the new 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Could be poor braking technique. Generally, you should be either "on" the brakes or "off". Riding the brakes or repeatedly braking too soon will over-heat them.

Let go, Luke . . . use the force . . .
    Or it could be I spend too much time way back behind my seat picking my way around the rocks.

LightJunction.com
    I like my 2-piece rotors, but mostly for weight benefits. You could try the new Shimano Ice-Tech rotors if heat warping is a serious issue. They claim to have heat dissipation dialed with those.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I was thinking about going to a 7" in the front. Its hard to brake less. I am on the Colorado front range. So we have allot of long vary steep down hills. And I have been spending allot of time chasing a friend that is a pro. The brakes get allot of abuse.
    I am on the front ranges of the canadian rockies...steep and rocky...

I used to cook rotors regularly.....never warped one.....I had a 160 mm shimano two piece on front and rear....

Then I got a 210 mm shimano two piece for the front....no overheating ever since.