mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2 left hand levers, can one be run upside down?

i picked up some magura brakes. both look to be brand new only problem is they both appear to be left hand levers. can one be used upside down and on the right hand?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by superspec View Post
    i picked up some magura brakes. both look to be brand new only problem is they both appear to be left hand levers. can one be used upside down and on the right hand?
    Of course it can. The only issue will be that the bolt/mounting bracket will be exposed at the top of the bars instead of underneath. If you can live with that you should be fine. If you are running a specific drivetrain and shifters, the flipped brakes may interfere in some way with the shifters but I doubt it. Try them and see.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my only concern with it is that the hole for the fluid will now be at the top instead of at the bottom leaving a chance to get air in the system unless i can fill it over full and push any air out of the fluid chamber.

mtbr member
    my only concern with it is that the hole for the fluid will now be at the top instead of at the bottom leaving a chance to get air in the system unless i can fill it over full and push any air out of the fluid chamber.
    If everything is tightened and closed properly, why would having it in one orientation over another cause air to enter the system? If the port is open, air will get in whichever way you run it.

If boils down to aesthetics, essentially. And compatability with shifters etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I HAVENT OPENED THE MASTER CYL. UP YET BUT WITH MY XTR SET THE FLUID ENTRY IS AT THE VERY BOTTOM. of the res. unless you over fill it and force any air out then if you turn it over the air will rise to the top getting into the line. maybe i am over thinking this though and just need to try it.

mtbr member
    I HAVENT OPENED THE MASTER CYL. UP YET BUT WITH MY XTR SET THE FLUID ENTRY IS AT THE VERY BOTTOM. of the res. unless you over fill it and force any air out then if you turn it over the air will rise to the top getting into the line. maybe i am over thinking this though and just need to try it.
    Ok, sorry, I misunderstood what you were meaning before.

There should not be any air in the system, so give it a shot. If there is, you will find out soon enough. Bleed it if you have any issues. Otherwise, ride and enjoy!

official eMpTyBRain
    Two left handed levers would only work if you had two left hands...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Two left handed levers would only work if you had two left hands...

well lucky for me they are both right hand levers

official eMpTyBRain
    If you want to trip people out (it would trip me out!), mount the lever (that is wrong for the side it will be on) outside the grip instead of inside the grip. This way, you can keep it turned upright...if you do this, PLEASE take a picture and post it!

Sorry brother, I just couldn't help myself. I really mean no offense. Your post and the replies got me laughing and I don't get to laugh a whole lot, so thanks, I appreciate it.

To be honest, I don't think it will work. If the set is new, call Magura USA and see if they will help you out. They've been fantastic to me.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    no offense taken. hell i got a laugh out of some of this.

Class Clown
    i thought you were trying to put both levers on 1 side like you had 1 arm or something. no offense to the 1-armed crowd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    no, they arew both right hand levers and i need one to be able to run upside down for the left side.