MK_
    carpe maņana

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs

I just picked up a 1998 Marzocchi Z.3 light fork, in killer shape for killer price. Anyway, I was mounting my Avid Mechs on it, naively thinking that the fork would have IS mounts. Naturally, not the case. The question I have is, does there exist a mounting bracket that will marry the two? Or is there another solution?

So far I enlarged the mounting tab holes to accomodate current screw diameters. I tried mounting the brake, but for one, the holes don't match up, so I had to use a smaler diameter screw in a funky way, and more importantly, only half as much rotor goes into the brake caliper, there is a big gap. Please help!

_MK

No, that's not phonetic
    I've got an old Zoke like that too. Never did get discs on it. This has been discussed many times on the old boards which are now functionally unsearchable (lame!). Only a few brakes ever used that standard and I can't remember the adapter situation anymore. The front brake sees so much stress that milling big holes in the mounts and runny sub-spec bolts sounds like a sure fire strategy to get into the emergency room. Which is cheaper, a new fork or face reconstruction?

I can't offer any more advice other than to say, be careful. Sell the fork to someone wanting to run cantis and get one with a 51mm IS mount.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Yeah, I agree about the sub spec screw, and I wasn't comfortable with that, and decided to abondon that idea. As of the hole enlargement, it wasn't ver big at all, time will tell, but I hope that it will hold. The problem is with the mounting bracket, however. I found that Hayes had one, but that it is sold out, and it only worked with 8" discs. My only way out will be getting a custom bracket it seems. I might try machining one in a month or so, when I take a course. Anyway, thanks for the words of caution.

_MK

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hammerhead has/had a Formula to IS adaptor that works on the early Bombers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No, that's not phonetic
    Wow, mount obscura. Good call, Shiggy. Now if only they didn't cost $65.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

I am surprised I remembered the web addy.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I also want to mount a modern disk brake kit to my 1998 Marzocchi Z2 with non-IS mounting tabs. They appear to be about 49mm. Is this what is known as "Formula Standard". Other than the link above, are there other adpaters available somewhere?
    -mw

29 some of the time...
    IIRC the Marzocchi forks became IS around 1997, it is the older ones that you have to worry about. Maybe the lower end forks took another year or 2 to catch up with the Z1 and Z2 forks.

At any rate, I had an older Z1 that had the wacky brake tabs. I used a set of magura louise that bolted right up and utilized a 160mm rotor. You might try to get in touch with magura and see if they have any of those calipers laying around. Their customer service has been amazingly helpful whenever I have needed them or a friend has had problems in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    IIRC the Marzocchi forks became IS around 1997, it is the older ones that you have to worry about. Maybe the lower end forks took another year or 2 to catch up with the Z1 and Z2 forks.

At any rate, I had an older Z1 that had the wacky brake tabs. I used a set of magura louise that bolted right up and utilized a 160mm rotor. You might try to get in touch with magura and see if they have any of those calipers laying around. Their customer service has been amazingly helpful whenever I have needed them or a friend has had problems in the past.
    It was '98-'99 and some models still used the "Formula" tabs into the '99 model year.

My '97 Bomber Z-2 (top of the line XC model) use the Formula mount.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump49
    I also want to mount a modern disk brake kit to my 1998 Marzocchi Z2 with non-IS mounting tabs. They appear to be about 49mm. Is this what is known as "Formula Standard". Other than the link above, are there other adpaters available somewhere?
    -mw
    49mm was the Formula spec. The spacing from the axle was different than IS, too.

IS spacing is 51mm.

Highly unlikely you will find an adaptor for an 11 year old fork.
    mtbtires.com

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It was '98-'99 and some models still used the "Formula" tabs into the '99 model year.

My '97 Bomber Z-2 (top of the line XC model) use the Formula mount.
    Kind of what I was figuring based on the comments thus far. My Z2 was from late in 97, so it could have been a 1998 model. My Z1 was a 98. Both of them had standard IS mounts and the knobs with flats for preload adjustment. The only Z1s I have seen with the formula mounts had the round preload knobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I gave up, and put the Bombers on my commuter bike and purchased '11 forks to match the calipers. My objective was to get a disk brake setup. Ended up costing me alot more than I expected. I actually like my Bombers over the what I have now.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    A couple of custom made adapters.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=cobba;9258667]A couple of custom made adapters.

[/

Cobba,

Just seen the two photos you listed a while ago for the disc brake adapter plates for the Bomber Z2 forks of the late 90s.
    I have just the same problem, no adapter!
    Were these adapters ones you know were sold or custom jobs.
    Do you have any leads on where to get hold of one?
    Hope you can help
    Mike.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    There was a small production run of the adapter on the black fork, the adapter was made in the UK and sold on ebay, the last one looks to of been sold in 2011 and the person who made it wasn't planning to make anymore. The person who made it was Retro Bike forum member 'B3', maybe contact him, he might make one for you or give you the dimensions of it.
    Read about it here: Can't fit disc caliper to 1996 Bomber Z2s | Retrobike

Rapid Descent in Scotland made the Hammerhead FS to IS adapter: FS to IS Adapter.pdf
    You probably won't find one of these for sale anywhere.

Formula also made a FS to IS adapter, it's part code was FD51012-00
    You probably won't find one of these for sale anywhere either.

The adapter on the orange fork is a home made job by a Pinkbike forum member.
    What disc brake adapter do I use? - Pinkbike Forum
    Tell me if this adapter will work on my 98' Z1? - Pinkbike Forum
    Last edited by cobba; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    There was a small production run of the adapter on the black fork, the adapter was made in the UK and sold on ebay, the last one looks to of been sold in 2011 and the person who made it wasn't planning to make anymore. The person who made it was Retro Bike forum member 'B3', maybe contact him, he might make one for you or give you the dimensions of it.
    Read about it here: Can't fit disc caliper to 1996 Bomber Z2s | Retrobike

Rapid Descent in Scotland made the Hammerhead FS to IS adapter: FS to IS Adapter.pdf
    You probably won't find one of these for sale anywhere.

Formula also made a FS to IS adapter, it's part code was FD51012-00
    You probably won't find one of these for sale anywhere either.

The adapter on the orange fork is a home made job by a Pinkbike forum member.
    What disc brake adapter do I use? - Pinkbike Forum
    Tell me if this adapter will work on my 98' Z1? - Pinkbike Forum
    Awesome! That's a hell of a start, I'll see if I can get something sorted.
    I'm erring towards making one similar to the above orange fork design out of steel plate and spacers, and perhaps some welding.
    Some of those engineering PDFs you posted on the pink bike forum should help.

I'm not sure, because it wasn't obvious, but does anyone know if the "rapid descent" adapter was only for 185mm discs, there seems to be mention of it but no definite statement.

I think the chance of finding one of these for sale is almost nil.

If anyone else has good info please feel free to post.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    A business that looks like it makes FS to IS adapters: http://waldmeissler.de/fahrradteile-bremsadapter.html

FS to PM adapter: http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/v-mar...wertig.336704/

A few photos shown of FS to IS adapters: http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/schei...ber-z1.121723/

Looks like Magura had a FS to IS adapter too, it looks very similar to the adapter made by 'B3'.

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs-843183-large.jpg

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs-03_fertig_montiert.jpg

The Magura adapter is Part No. 0720845 and can be seen on the following Gustav M pdf's

1997 / 1998: ersatzteile_g9798.pdf

1999: ersatzteile_g1999.pdf

Another FS to IS adapter.

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs-fs-adapter.jpg

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepday View Post
    I'm not sure, because it wasn't obvious, but does anyone know if the "rapid descent" adapter was only for 185mm discs, there seems to be mention of it but no definite statement.
    IS brake calipers come in different sizes, the IS brake in that photo is a 185mm front caliper.

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs-hammerhead.jpg

Example of different size IS brake calipers.

1998 Marzocchi Z3 Light disc brake tabs-842593d1383009508-marz-adaptor-help-p4pb8373418.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just had a return email from Waldi at "waldmeissler.de" ..... the MWP link you posted in post #17
    He can still do an FS to IS adapter, for 65 euro plus post.
    Not cheap! But still I think it's the best option so far.
    I am just waiting to see if it works with a 160mm disc, before sending him the cash.

I'll let you know the results.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Last edited by cobba; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Email duly sent. Good work digging that up!