mtbr member

185mm rotor and adapter for XTR calipers?

I have XTR center-lock hubs and calipers (with XT hydro levers) on my bike now, but plan on switching to a 6-bolt (thru-axle) front hub. Since I have to buy a new rotor anyhow, I'd like to upgrade to a 185mm rotor and use an adapter for my XTR caliper. What are my options?

-David

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

no worries

Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    I have XTR center-lock hubs and calipers (with XT hydro levers) on my bike now, but plan on switching to a 6-bolt (thru-axle) front hub. Since I have to buy a new rotor anyhow, I'd like to upgrade to a 185mm rotor and use an adapter for my XTR caliper. What are my options?

-David
    No worries......

your calpers are most likely post style so you can do one of 2 thing:

The dirty trick is to use a rear ISO to post adapter in the front this should lift your caliper to clear the the new rotor (no guarantee here..... try it and test it before riding)

or you could hunt down the Avid 185 mm ISO to post adapter this should work no problems....did this to my hayes, works beautifully

Quality Bicycle Products makes a centerlock to ISO adapter so this should be easy and not need a new front hub

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookie
    .......The dirty trick is to use a rear ISO to post adapter in the front .......
    This is assuming you are using 74 mm Hayes/Manitou post type calipers. If you are ISO i don't think this will work.

If you are using standard ISO calipers i think this is what you are looking for.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

two options...

i wanted the same...run a 180 or 185 on my xt lever/xtr caliper.

i bought a a2z adapter and had everthing ready thinking when i get my new 2004 xtr caliper back from shimano, i'll be ready to roll. well, shimano goofed and sent me 2 rear calipers. both are i.s. disc mount. i knew this was an option for me, but opted to get the adapter.

i went head and kept the rear caliper, set it up to my front lever and have ran a 180mm hope mono mini rotor with no problems and have quite abit more power.

so, you can either get a rear 160mm caliper, and run it up front for 180mm clearance. or, you can get the a2z adapter or hop hbis20 (call hope directly, you can buy it for $20, $38 from universal).

one important note; the a2z adapter has a slotted bottom mounting hole, so i think you can "swing" the caliper for either 180 or 185mm clearance. the hope does not have this "slot". if you see a picture of both of these adapters, you'll see what i mean. pricepoint.com sells the a2z adapter.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater

-David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i wanted the same...run a 180 or 185 on my xt lever/xtr caliper.

i bought a a2z adapter and had everthing ready thinking when i get my new 2004 xtr caliper back from shimano, i'll be ready to roll. well, shimano goofed and sent me 2 rear calipers. both are i.s. disc mount. i knew this was an option for me, but opted to get the adapter.

i went head and kept the rear caliper, set it up to my front lever and have ran a 180mm hope mono mini rotor with no problems and have quite abit more power.

so, you can either get a rear 160mm caliper, and run it up front for 180mm clearance. or, you can get the a2z adapter or hop hbis20 (call hope directly, you can buy it for $20, $38 from universal).

one important note; the a2z adapter has a slotted bottom mounting hole, so i think you can "swing" the caliper for either 180 or 185mm clearance. the hope does not have this "slot". if you see a picture of both of these adapters, you'll see what i mean. pricepoint.com sells the a2z adapter.

cheers!
    Thanks! It sounds like I should go with the a2z adapter, since I already have a good front IS caliper, and the slot will allow me some leeway as far as 180/185mm rotors. I see Hope has a really slick looking rotor with aluminum carrier available, but they're quite expensive, especially for what I'd consider a "wear" item. I'll probably go with the standard Mono/Mini 6-bolt 180mm rotor, or Avid 185mm rotor.

-David

mtbr member

Thanks for Universal link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    This is assuming you are using 74 mm Hayes/Manitou post type calipers. If you are ISO i don't think this will work.

If you are using standard ISO calipers i think this is what you are looking for.
    I am using IS calipers (XTR), so I need an IS +20mm adapter, like the Hope, or one made by a2z. Thanks for the link, I wasn't familiar with Universal.

I'm switching from my XTR centerlock to a six-bolt front hub and rotor because I'm getting a Maverick fork. If I didn't need a new rotor anyway, I probably wouldn't bother bumping up from 160 to 180mm.

-David