mtbr member
    May 2009

185 rotors with a 160 caliper

Lets say in theory that I busted one the the posts inside a Juicy 5 caliper doing something stupid like reseting the caliper with a screwdriver (didn't realize that they are plastic, did the same with my Hayes for years with no problems). Can I use a caliper from a 160 setup on my 185 or are the calipers specific to the rotor size? They look the same to me.

mtbr member
    Calipers are not specific to any size, that is what those adapters between the fork and caliper are for

mtbr member
    Most calipers today are the same. Just use the 185mm adapter if there is one.

Meh.
    Yup. It's a post mount caliper attached to an adapter that allows it to be used for the correct end (front or rear) and rotor size.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Calipers are not specific to any size, that is what those adapters between the fork and caliper are for
    Yes and no. I just went through a similar dilema.

Used an adaptor to go from a 160mm to 183mm rotor but it did not work. I had to use a 180mm rotor. So the OP may not be able to find an adaptor to make the 185mm work. Find a friend with the parts you need and test fit them. Simple as that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Yes and no. I just went through a similar dilema.

Used an adaptor to go from a 160mm to 183mm rotor but it did not work. I had to use a 180mm rotor. So the OP may not be able to find an adaptor to make the 185mm work. Find a friend with the parts you need and test fit them. Simple as that.
    Hope do a +23 adaptor for 183mm rotors in everything but IS to IS mount.

Avid do a specific 185 mount for their calipers, in theory the OP should already have that if he was using a 185 rotor to begin with. In which case just swapping the calipers should work fine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the help, I should have specified, I already have the whole 185 setup (which is the caliper that I broke) but when I looked for a replacement I wanted to make sure it was a simple bolt up installation. Didn't know if the small variance in the arc of larger/smaller roters made a difference other than the adapter. Thanks again for the help!