mtbr member
    Dec 2012

180s on a dart 3?

I want to upgrade the brakes on my raleigh mojave 8.0 from the bb5s i have on it. I have already decided on the hayes stroker ace for the upgrade to hydraulic, but im at an impasse here. I dont know whether to upgrade to 180mm rotors, and even if this is possible on my rockshox dart 3 fork. I ride mostly technical singletrack in the whitetanks of arizona. I weigh around 170, so i was thinking maybe getting a good 160 would be ok for what im Doing, but i dont know what rotor would be good for this in that size. I figure if i upgrade to 180s i wont worry about overheating, but i dont know if I can feasably adapt up on the dart3. Any help? What rotors should i go with to keep the power up with 160mm? Or Is my fork strong enough to handle 180s?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It may physically fit larger than 160 but 160 is the max size recommended by Rockshox.

Personally, my recommendation would be to pick up a stronger/better fork that would allow you to safely use a 180mm rotor and then maybe upgrade your brakes to BB7's

Rebas and BB7's can be found fairly inexpensively and would be a very noticable upgrade to your bike..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Unfortunately i cant afford a decent fork right now. Thats why im just doing the brakes. Eventually want to get a fox air fork, but the hayes come first at this point

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can get a Reba for around $200 on eBay right now. It is a great fork and will work well with a 180mm front rotor.

Unless someone is blowing them out right now., aren't you going to spend more then that on a set of Stroker Aces..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Getting a deal on the aces from a local dealer. Basically paying for one brake and getting both, with a bleeder kit. Im assuming the reba would eliminate the current flex issue i have with thedart?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by raleighrider0912 View Post
    Im assuming the reba would eliminate the current flex issue i have with thedart?
    Most of it, yes.. The Reba has 32mm stanchions and is Dual-Air which gives you nice control over damping...

I only suggested this route because.. In MY opinion.. Having a Reba fork with 180mm front rotor and a well set up BB5 or BB7 would be MUCH more fun (and safer) setup to ride than a Dart 3 with an oversized disc and a Stroker..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the advice. Might get a reba next paycheck then to go with my new brake setup, ride my bb5s and dart until i have everything then. Any particular rotors preferred?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hopefully others will respond with other ideas/suggestions.. Can't hurt to get a few other opinions..

Don't forget... You'll also need the proper brake caliper adapter when you increase the size of the front disc.

I don't have any real preference on rotors.. Cheap and straight is good..