mtbr member
    Jun 2004

180mm rotor with hope mono mini

I have an Intense Tracer with 160mm Shimano XT discs which I am going to put on my downhill bike. So I am going to replace them on the tracer with Hope mono mini... my question is should I go for a 180mm or 160mm front rotor, or will I not notice the difference in power from the 160mm XT's to 160mm Hopes?

mtbr member
    Go for the 180mm rotor in the front, it is a better feeling brake. A bud of mine just did this combo.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

just got a set of 180/160mm Mono Minis...

installed them, with no problems. take your time wit the shimming of the caliper. as far as power goes, i came off a set of 160mm (f & r) xtr discs and the 180/160mm mono minis do have abit more power. i think this would be a good lightweight switch from you xt discs. i put close to 30 miles on my first ride on them, they felt great just after a few miles.

the mono mini rotors are very light (thanks to a very narrow brake track), going from 160mm to 180mm will not add much weight at all. check out the weight weenies website for rotor weights if that concerns you.

if you are a heavy rider and do very long downhill runs, check out the m4.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunk
    I have an Intense Tracer with 160mm Shimano XT discs which I am going to put on my downhill bike. So I am going to replace them on the tracer with Hope mono mini... my question is should I go for a 180mm or 160mm front rotor, or will I not notice the difference in power from the 160mm XT's to 160mm Hopes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    installed them, with no problems. take your time wit the shimming of the caliper. as far as power goes, i came off a set of 160mm (f & r) xtr discs and the 180/160mm mono minis do have abit more power. i think this would be a good lightweight switch from you xt discs. i put close to 30 miles on my first ride on them, they felt great just after a few miles.

the mono mini rotors are very light (thanks to a very narrow brake track), going from 160mm to 180mm will not add much weight at all. check out the weight weenies website for rotor weights if that concerns you.

if you are a heavy rider and do very long downhill runs, check out the m4.

cheers!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking about getting either the XTR discs or the Hope Minis. Which one would give me more power???

Thanks

Ming