mtbr member
    Feb 2004

180 rotor with BB7 on old RS Psylo fork?

I recently upsized to Alligator 180 round rotor (not serrated) on old RS Psylo coil fork. Used Avid 185 adapter. Brake now vibrates like crazy. I know Avid recommends 185 rotors but I am on budget. Tried removing CPS spacers to accommodate size difference but brake pad finger tab then touched 185 adapter.

Should I buck up for 185 Avid rotor or will I still get vibration?

No vibration with old 160 Clean Sweep rotor.

Did notice better braking with larger rotor in spite of vibration.

Thanks in advance!
    Brad

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm also using a Alligator 180 rotor with Avid and I just filed down the adapter a little at a time till the pads contacted the rotor correctly.

Works fine now

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    mtbkr 72,

Did you have any problems with brake pad tabs used for removing & installing the pads contacting the 185 adaptor w/ the gator rotor?

I'm running ritchey pads in my BB7s and when I removed the CPS spacers to accomdate the size difference in the rotors, the tabs contact the adapter.
    Thanks!

Never trust a fart
    I'm currently running the Avid BB7's with the Alligator 180mm rotors.

You must either file down the main caliper bracket or buy new ones to account for the smaller rotor. The BB7's require the CPS spacers to work properly.

I was able to successfully file down the front bracket, but had to purchase one for the rear for the caliper to fit properly.