mtbr member
    Feb 2006

180 rotor on Avids ?

Has anyone tried running a 180 mm rotor on there Avid brakes - with the 185 adaptor ?

Does it work ?

thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    It'll work.

You can either run it as is, and run your pads ~2 to 3mm off the edge of the rotor (not recommended due to a pad wear pattern that will result in high spots which may eventually prevent full application of brakes), or...

...you can remove the CPS washers and use flat washers to adjust spacing accordingly (which may or may not work -- I like the adjustment the CPS washers offer), or...

... you can file ~2 to 3mm of material off of the 185 adapter, which is pretty quick, and doesn't need to be perfect, since the CPS washers do such a great job of making up for any mounting surface imprefections.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    It'll work.

You can either run it as is, and run your pads ~2 to 3mm off the edge of the rotor (not recommended due to a pad wear pattern that will result in high spots which may eventually prevent full application of brakes), or...

...you can remove the CPS washers and use flat washers to adjust spacing accordingly (which may or may not work -- I like the adjustment the CPS washers offer), or...

... you can file ~2 to 3mm of material off of the 185 adapter, which is pretty quick, and doesn't need to be perfect, since the CPS washers do such a great job of making up for any mounting surface imprefections.
    He covered all the options.

I'm not sure what rotor you plan on using, but be sure that the braking path of the rotor is wide enough for the pad.