mtbr member
    Jun 2009

180 to 203mm worth iy, Alligator rotors?

So im thinking about upgrading my rotors and getting some aligator wave serrated rotors Front and rear at 203mm, My fronts right now are 180 and rear is 160mm, Will i notice any stopping power or will they only just not heat up as much on longer down hills.

Also i only found 1-2 threads when i searched Alligator rotors and they were all a couple years old any one got any recently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Check the weight weenies forum, there is a good thread there.

I can't weight in on the larger rotors, but the 160's were great as soon as I switched to sintered pads, cheap too.

*edit*

here:

Alligator Serrated Brake Rotor review

mtbr member
    First make sure your frame/fork can take a 203 rotor. Many frames and forks can only take upto a certain size.

Also with the Alligator rotors, they are light, but heat up quickly, and wear out brake pads faster. I used to run them on my DH bike but got tired of them eating my brake pads and warping. They may work OK for XC or AM riding though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    They may work OK for XC or AM riding though.
    True, but if your using them for XC or AM then you probably don't need a 203mm rotor.

Are you having trouble with brake fade now? If not then a larger size will probably be of no benefit (other then getting to haul around the extra weight).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    True, but if your using them for XC or AM then you probably don't need a 203mm rotor.

Are you having trouble with brake fade now? If not then a larger size will probably be of no benefit (other then getting to haul around the extra weight).

Yeah you're right. I generally wouldn't recommend the Alligator rotors for the type of riding a 203mm rotor would be necessary.

If I was the OP, I would stick with 180/160. Give the alligators a try (since they are so cheap). If he ends up not liking them, not much money lost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Would i be better off just getting hayes v8 rotors, Its about a 35 dollar difference between the two, And im pretty sure my frame and fork can take the brakes, Its a giant reign.

I liked the alligators for looks and was hopping they would not get as hot as my brakes do now?

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I got Alligator Wavy. I went from 160 to 180. Worked great for me. Didn't 'change' the world but got rid of the howling and fading I was having from the front after 100 feet down the Luge.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset