mtbr member

160mm G2 vs. 185mm Roundagon

I am a super-clyde. I am getting ready to order BB7's for a bike build I am doing this spring. I was going to get 185mm but I only see them with roundagons and I am not spending $45 for the brake plus $30 extra to get the G2 rotor(185mm's). The 160mm can be bought with the G2 rotor for $46 each. Will the G2 rotor with the 160's perform as well or better than the 185's with roundagon or with the larger brakes still be better for my application? I ride XC, no DH but there are some hills, mostly steep and short and often technical. By super-clyde I mean 300 pounds of beef.

ol' dusty lungs
    Two trains 150 miles apart travel toward each other along the same track, the first train at 60 mph, the second at 90 mph. A fly buzzes goes back and forth between the two trains until they collide. If the fly's speed is 120 mph, how far will it travel?

ol' dusty lungs
    ...I'd go with larger rotors. Make sure your frame/fork can handle the larger sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You could go with 160mm + G2 in back (combo from Bluesky) and then get the 185mm and a G2 (additional) for the front. Who knows, maybe you can sell the new Roundagon rotor from the 185mm kit?

Slightly cheaper and shouldn't hurt perf (esp if you're doing XC)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the sloth
    Two trains 150 miles apart travel toward each other along the same track, the first train at 60 mph, the second at 90 mph. A fly buzzes goes back and forth between the two trains until they collide. If the fly's speed is 120 mph, how far will it travel?
    120 miles

mtbr member
    It's funny cause I never really realized there was a difference in rotors until just recently and I was moving my bikes around today cleaning up my workshop area and I noticed that my RockHopper with BB5's has the G2 rotors. Most likely the new bike will be my main bike and I may end up selling off the RockHopper so I might have to "borrow" the rotors from it and replace with the cheaper Roundagons.

mtbr member
    Nubster, in the other post you mentioned getting the 160 at Jenson. Did you confirm with Jenson that the 160 will come with the G2 rotor? I went to their site and the pic shows a roundagon rotor. If the 160 comes with the G2, then I'm willing to spend that extra change at Jenson instead of at PP where it could be a hit or miss. Plan to call PP to get the scoop on rotor type with their $39 BB7.

mtbr member
    No...I was actually going to get the 185mm from Jenson. However, you can get the G2 160's from Blue Sky Cycling. They give you the option of getting the roundagon or the G2 for a few dollars more. Choose your size and you will see the option for getting the G2.

Blue Sky Cycling

mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The G2 Rotors....

are certainly better. They are more heat resistant, i.e. are less prone to heat fade than the Roundagons, and once heated up do tend to cool down quicker. However a 160mm G2 won't be as powerful as a 185mm Roundagon. It has to do with larger lever moment and other physical properties of the larger rotor. It'll tend to heat up faster and hold that heat longer than the 160 G2, but it will still give you more power until it does heat up to the fade point.

Personally I'd go ahead and order up the 160mm BB7 with G2 for the rear and then spring for the extra and order a 185 G2 for the front. You really don't need the bigger rotor in the rear as most of your braking should be done with the front anyway. The 185/160 combo will make it less likely that you will lock up the rear wheel under hard braking and give the brakes a more even feel at the levers.

Your call of course, but IMHO, the extra performance of the G2 rotor is worth the extra cost.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Yeah, what you say makes total sense. I just wanted to make sure the even though the 160's were a smaller rotor that the superior design did not make them hands down better than the 185 roundagons. Perhaps if I was not a clyde it would be a different story. I think I will do as suggested at go with the 185/160 setup. Thanks for the input.