Dr. Pepper drinker

160mm front rotor enough for aggressive xc riding? (Avid mech's)

Yet another Avid mech disc question from a first time discer. I'm a 180lbs or so and ride mainly aggressive xc in the Salt Lake City area (lots of downhills). Am I going to be asking for problems with the 160's front and rear or should I maybe go with a 185 or even 206 up front and the 160 in the rear? I'm thinking the 160 would be okay but don't want to be having regrets a week into my disc brake venture.

I love Pisgah
    No problem. The Avid disc's are a brute of a brake, and for aggressive XC, they are fine. I've run a 160 up front and a 140mm rear with Avids before. I'm 165lbs and race Sport xc.

mtbr member
    In the SLC area, I would run 185s up front, no question. I find that it isn't generally a question of power, but rather heat build up that kills discs on longer/steeper downhills. The bigger rotors are much better in that area.

-James

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Yet another Avid mech disc question from a first time discer. I'm a 180lbs or so and ride mainly aggressive xc in the Salt Lake City area (lots of downhills). Am I going to be asking for problems with the 160's front and rear or should I maybe go with a 185 or even 206 up front and the 160 in the rear? I'm thinking the 160 would be okay but don't want to be having regrets a week into my disc brake venture.

Linoleum Knife
    I built my trail bike with Moab in mind, and put a 185mm up front.
    I'm not sure if you "need" it, but then what do you really need in life anyways?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    In the SLC area, I would run 185s up front, no question. I find that it isn't generally a question of power, but rather heat build up that kills discs on longer/steeper downhills. The bigger rotors are much better in that area.

-James
    I agree. The 160s are fine for most riders but the 185 up front makes all the difference when it gets long and steep. I run the 185s on both ends of my singlespeed with no regrets.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

On MTBR hiatus :(
    And yet another...

At 235 pounds, the 160 had all the power I needed but the heat buildup produced enough squeel to drive me batty after just a mile or two into a long descent. Never noticed a whole lot of fade due to heat build up, but I'd always lay off to the extent possible just to avoid the noise.

I miss the better modulation of the 160's, especially now that I weigh a bit less, but these brakes are tuneable to the point that I can make 'em do and feel whatever I want, and when it comes down to it, the superior heat shedding ability of the 185mm rotor far outweighs the extra grabbiness (which I'm sure you'll quickly adjust to and have no problem dealing with).

Oh, and I've stuck with 160/165 rotors in the rear and this hasn't presented a problem, but I don't tend to rely on my rear brakes except for when it gets tricky.

mtbr member

np

i had hayes on my trek with 165mm and i beat the pis_s out of them, they got hot a few times and warped but later on in the day they went back to normal and didnt rub anymore, i would say that they are fine....

scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.1 KB, 234 views)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nobody ever complains about too much brake power,. The 160's are good and quite powerful but the larger rotor's are better cooled and more powerful so I'd say go with the 185's because there's plenty of steeps in slc.