Thread: 140mm up front?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

140mm up front?

i have been using v brakes all this time. I m going to disk up front. I only weigh 130lb and try to keep my XC race bike as light as i can. Can i run 140mm disk up front with a BB7? wouldnt a 140mm still be stronger than V brakes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    first of all, idk what fork accepts a 140mm rotor. Also, 160mm rotor is the standard minimum up front, I think, and barely heavier than 140mm. You will only benefit from increased braking power, provided you have decent braking skill. Don't create a problem where there isn't one, and have fun riding
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    As nepernesu noted, I am not aware of any MTB fork that will work with a 140mm rotor. All MTB forks with post style direct mounts are sized for a 160mm rotor minimum, with the exception of some down hill forks which start at 180 and go up from there. And no one I know makes a 140mm IS adapter for IS mount forks. For the front I'm afraid that your pretty much stuck with a 160mm rotor.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    160 is fine. I was just trying to see what my option are.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Its about a 15g difference between 140-160. I had the same thought process and went with 160 but now im debating goin 180.

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    If you care about weight at all (or at least enough to think about using a mini-rotor), why would you even consider a BB7?

T.W.O.
    I've tried 140mm f/r on my road bike, even that I think it sucked. It does not have crisp response. I'd say stick with 160mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My advice to you is to gain some weight.

mtbr member
    How about 160 front, 140 rear?
    That's what I run, I like to have more power front than rear, but I don't need any more than 160 front.
    Plus, I like to be a bit different...