mnoutain bkie rdier

140 mm rotor kweshin'

I have always run 160mm rotors front and back. I am building up a new bike and have a 140mm rotor sitting around that I want to try on the back. I am pretty light and may not need the stopping power of a 160mm imo...

Question:The brake contact of the 140mm will sit lower, as the diameter is less than the 160mm was.....so...do I need to lower the caliper down somehow so that it grabs the disc at the same height/level as it did on the 160mm??

Edit: ALSO, the brake mount is inside the rear triangle (carbon 29er frame On One). Seems like a "direct mount" setup where and adapter is not an option??

Thanks.
    PS. Avid hydros with aligator rotor fwiw...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 140 mm rotor kweshin'-one-one.jpg  

Last edited by rydbyk; 04-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I believe a lot of XC race bikes are set up with 140mm rotors in the rear. To them, every gram counts.

As for the caliper position relative to the smaller-diameter rotor, I think you just need to use a different adapter for the 140mm rotor than the one you would mount to the seat stay for a 160mm rotor. Something like this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Adapter.aspx

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    I believe a lot of XC race bikes are set up with 140mm rotors in the rear. To them, every gram counts.

As for the caliper position relative to the smaller-diameter rotor, I think you just need to use a different adapter for the 140mm rotor than the one you would mount to the seat stay for a 160mm rotor. Something like this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Adapter.aspx

Hmm. That is what I was thinking BUT my disc brake mount is inside the rear triangle and seems to be a "direct mount" without an option of running and adapter...
    Last edited by rydbyk; 04-12-2011 at 09:52 AM.

transmitter~receiver
    you might call OnOne and ask what size rotor the frame is designed for standard. It is a post mount rather than IS, but they do make PM to PM adapters to go up in size for front rotors. It might be that there is an adapter that changes where the caliper contacts the rotor to make room for the adapter and bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    According to an email from them...it is set up for 140.
    You would use a pm adapter to run a larger rotor.
    You might want to check with them to verify