mtbr member
    Dec 2011

'12 Avid Elixir 5's (OEM) - turkey gobble

Brakes have approx 220 miles on them, the rear is experiencing the dreaded turkey gobble, while the fronts squeak but are not AS obnoxious.

Brought the bike into my LBS this weekend and they sanded the rotors / pads which helped for ~20ish miles, then the gobble came back. I'm 215 lbs geared up and ride in dry/dusty (socal) conditions, bomb some hills but my brakes never smell as bad as the rest of the group.

While I'm sure my LBS will take another look at them:
    1) has anyone had any luck w/ diagnosing & fixing this?
    2) does anyone know if the OEM pads on a '12 anthem x1 9er are organic or sintered metal?
    3) is there a regular preventative maintenance schedule for these things aside from not sh*tting them up with gunk? Given the dry socal conditions I'd not expect to have the same problems as the PNW.

Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    1) The sound is caused by the rotors, seems as though avid's own rotors are incompatible with their brakes.

2) OEM or Retail most everything avid comes with semi-metallic pads (xx only, alu-backed organics)

3) Preventive maintenance? just switch rotors for something else like shimano or formula. Elixirs only need to be bled once in awhile when they feel like they need to be. Have them adjusted correctly and they will work flawlessly!

I'm also writing from socal. I must be in luck since I have the '12 elixir 9s, they are silent and provide awesome braking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the heads up re: rotors. Going to head home now and bring the bike into the shop.

Frankly, wouldn't mind paying up for something that didn't squeal (even a little) but everyone I ride with has some level of brake noise at some point during the ride, seems like it's just part-and-parcel with having discs.

In related news, I'm very happy with the braking power and modulation having come from mechanical discs some six years ago. Just don't remember my old avid mech's making this much noise, or having the gobble noise. It's a pretty horrid sound. -_-

edit: Forgot to mention it in the first post, and not sure if relevent, but there appears (rear rotor only) to be heat discoloration where the 'spider' arms meet the rotor face, will try and take a picture this evening, but is that normal? It's not on the front rotors, which I expected would come under much more severe braking stresses.