mtbr member
    Feb 2007

08 xt vs stroker

Hey guys:
    I want to upgrade from my 05 lx hydraulics.I am looking at the new 08 xt's and the hayes stroker trail. I am leaning toward the stroker but would really appreciate any input.
    thanks

wyrd biū ful „rśd
    Any reason why you are leaning towards to the stroker?

Could not find any tech docs on the stroker? Is it a one piece caliper?

Bleeding is quite easy on the XT and power and modulation are excellant.
    Last edited by chinaman; 01-08-2008 at 05:42 AM.

ride hard take risks
    Cant speak on the XT's but sure they are awesome. The Strokers are excellent, feel, feed back & controlled braking.

Hayes Stoker

Anyone have stroker trails? Just won an auction, swingin deal.

Hayes Stroker disc brakes initial impressions

Hayes Stroker Brakes

Just a few for your reading pleasure.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I would suggest you speak to crisillo about the 08 XT brakes because although the levers feel much better than the Stroker`s or even any previous Shimano brake I cant comment on long term braking due to allot of shoddy mistakes from the dealer,
    1) They bled the brakes mushy.
    2) They bent the rotors.
    3) They contaminated both brakes when re bleeding them.
    4) They used the wrong fluid to bleed them both of those times so they had to be bled again.
    5) By that time my hubs had worn out so I have only just started using them again after putting some new 08 XT hubs on there with XT organic pads and new Centerlock rotors.
    6) The new organic pads are a tiny bit thicker than the sintered pads meaning I havenít yet worn them down enough to stop them rubbing and get the excellent lever feel back.
    I bought these back in September and have never been taken out for longer than 1 hr since because of these problems.

I donít want to put you of these brakes but please chose youíre dealers carefully and you wont have any of these problems.

Onto my Giant Trance X2 with Hayes Stroker brakes, because of the reasons above I am going to suggest you go with the Stroker brakes as they have worked perfectly, PERFECTLY, for over 3 months of riding them every weekend for at least 5hrs every weekend since which is brilliant. And they come pre-bled and ready to install with un-bent discs, the modulation is brilliant.

Just go with the Stroker, they are simple and just work brilliantly.
    [/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    both should be fine brakes... I prefer the shimanos though....

as I told EGF, unfortunately bad wrenching can screw up any brake...even the XTs that are as simple as hydros come....

MTBR Demi-God
    If you were the one who set up your LX hydraulic brakes, then you will definitely have no problems setting up the 08XTs.

Also, the performance of XT brakeset is simply great- no frills, no nonsense kindda deal. You get power when you need it, with an added advantage of it being flexible.

I vote for 08 XTs, and I am biased towards it because I have found them to be the easiest brakes to work on, and the fact that they use mineral oil is an added bonus
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    I recently swapped out a set of M960 dual control levers for XTR trigger shifters and 2008 Shimano XT levers. I'm still using M960 calipers. My XTR brakes were really great. However, I found to my delight that I had substantial improvement in my braking performance. The brakes now require noticeably less effort and my hands do not get as tired. Modulation is also better. The reach of the levers are also nicely adjustable without tools. Also bleeding them is a no brainer. I filled them up from the caliper with a syringe until the reservoir overflowed, put on the cover and wiped up the oil. Done! Try that with DOT fluid and see how much paint is left on your bike. I simply will not use brakes that use that nasty stuff.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "I simply will not use brakes that use that nasty stuff."

So you don't drive a car then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    sorry i havent been able to repost sooner i lent my computer to my sister and havent gotten it back yet. I was leaning toward the stroker because they use dot 3 instead of mineral oil.I found it difficult to get ahold of shimano mineral oil, only one of my local shops keeps it in stock and the only way they will sell it is if i bring in my own bottle for them to fill. a major pain in the butt. thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbsince1981
    "I simply will not use brakes that use that nasty stuff."

So you don't drive a car then?
    What has my car got to do with what I do for fun and want to work on myself?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    What has my car got to do with what I do for fun and want to work on myself?

Ronnie.
    DOT fluid
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    DOT fluid
    Duh! I know that my car uses DOT but I don't have/want to work with it like I "want" to work on my bike.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    I perfere the shimano 08 XT over the stroker. The XT seems to feel better and also I like the modulation alot more than the strokers. Comparing power I think the XT has more but then I tried the strokers on its first time out so yeaa not quite bedded in yet, but my XT are new too and they still seem to have more power. Heres some pics of my XT on my prophet.

mtbr member
    yea i probally should have cleaned my bike before i posted it on the World Wide Wed