mtbr member
    Feb 2007

08 Xt vs Magura Marta

which one?

I've read very good things about the maguras, if I search around I could probably find them for under $230.

I've had good experience with XT 765 brakes, especially bleeding.

opinions?

Thanks

Commit or eat sh!t
    Martas are okay for XC use (on my Intense 5.5). My local bike shop (Path in Tustin and these guys are good) was gung ho on the new Shimano XT brakes (I think 775). Had them mounted on Intense Socom. But if price is no object, try to demo Formula Puro or the One. Best peformance and light too. I am looking at these for my freeride bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    it's funny you mentioned the formulas, I'm going the be picking up them, I'm not a racer so I don't need the puros, It comes down to the k24s or k18s, the only difference between them is a lever adjust feature and different metal plating on the fasteners:
    http://www.formulabrakeusa.com/?page_id=120

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Those white K24 look nice and are great brakes, powerful, smooth and silent but I donít think you really notice too much difference between the K18 and K24.

The K24 and 08 XT would be my best choice, the XTís feel nicer than the Formulaís or Maguraís, have equal power and are very smooth, but you have to be a proficient bleeder to make the new XTís fell like they are supposed to where as the old XTís didnít really need much bleeding.

Anyway go for the K24 or the XT, I love both, so here is some random pics,the Lapierre's belong to the Nivana bike shop, the Stumpy is mine, t[SIZE=2]his should help you salivate: [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

wyrd biū ful „rśd
    XTs are very good value ...

20080123 rear hub XT w Hope MTBR FORUM.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Those white K24 look nice and are great brakes, powerful, smooth and silent but I donít think you really notice too much difference between the K18 and K24.

The K24 and 08 XT would be my best choice, the XTís feel nicer than the Formulaís or Maguraís, have equal power and are very smooth, but you have to be a proficient bleeder to make the new XTís fell like they are supposed to where as the old XTís didnít really need much bleeding.

Anyway go for the K24 or the XT, I love both, so here is some random pics,the Lapierre's belong to the Nivana bike shop, the Stumpy is mine,
    What exactly do you mean, "the XT's feel nicer" , I had m-765 dual controls and got pretty good at bleeding them, but the formulas are just so much nicer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timms
    What exactly do you mean, "the XT's feel nicer" , I had m-765 dual controls and got pretty good at bleeding them, but the formulas are just so much nicer.
    [SIZE=2]The new XT has a servo-wave brake lever which makes the lever very soft but still have a very noticeable bite as it hitís the disc, thatís one reason it feels so good, the other is the new lever shape, the most comfortable lever I have ever tried, and I don't usually mind the lever shape.

Go and try them somewhere and you will understand why I think they fell so good.
    [/SIZE]

Meh.
    I think DC levers felt bad no matter what. The radial MC levers do feel pretty nice. They fit comfortably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I think DC levers felt bad no matter what. The radial MC levers do feel pretty nice. They fit comfortably.
    [SIZE=2]Assuming you have said YES on the Avid thread, I was just wondering what DC levers are.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    DC = dual control I'm assuming

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Oh right, so were you thinking of Dual controls or standard as you next brake?

XSL_WiLL is right the brakes on Dual controls almost always feel worse than standards.

The old XTís were OK for bleeding but unless you are very good you will end up doing it several times to get the new ones perfect.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    well, I have a homemade bleed kit, so I don't see it as being a problem, I don't mind doing it a number of times, the mineral oil is worth peanuts anyway, I used to use the mineral oil that you can buy at the pharmacy and it worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Some of the otherís on here probably no more about this but I have been told the seals are more sensitive to oil types on the new ones.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got into a pretty heated debate with XSL-WILL about this before, I bled my 765 dual controls with pharmacy mineral oil and It worked perfectly for months. according to wikipedia (I know) there are ony two grades, light and heavy, shimano uses light in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Meh.
    There have also been a couple threads where the seals have failed after bleeding with the wrong mineral oil. One of those is current. motormonkey is experiencing problems.

If it works for you, great. But I still wouldn't recommend it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    do you have the link, I'd like to read it.

Meh.
    Look a couple threads down about the Saints.

There was another user that bled his brakes using Pentosin. That was a little older...

mtbr member
    as soon as my XTs come back from Shimano, i'm selling them. that should give you my opinion.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]The Finish Line mineral oil is the one I had trouble with, the seals were tiny bit bigger than they should be and the brakes went completely mushy in very cold weather. Iíve put the proper Shimano stuff in now.
    [/SIZE]

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Look a couple threads down about the Saints.

There was another user that bled his brakes using Pentosin. That was a little older...

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikemineraloil.htm