Thread: 08' XT setup

mtbr member
    May 2004

08' XT setup

I have been using Deore 555's for years. Really I am pretty happy with them but thought I would go with a new set and maybe gain some stopping power. I bought some 08 XT's.

It seems to me that the Xt's are unpredictable/too grabby. They just seem to lock up at a very small point in the lever throw. I have played with the freestroke but it doesn't seem to do anything. I mean when I turn the screw the lever moves in or out and then when I adjust the lever back to where I want it with the reach adjustment the brakes feel the same whether the screw is in or out.

To satisfy my curiousity I bought a used set of J7's. I have used juicy's before but was a while back and I wanted to directly compare to the XT's. The Juicy's just feel way better. It feels like there is much better/linear modulation and the overall power is about the same as the XT.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone else feel the same way? I really wanted to be stoked on the Xt's, have been using shimao brakes for years and I really would prefer to use mineral oil but I so far I don't feel confident with them. Is there some other setup I can do? What other shimano model could I get that would compare to the feel and power of the J7?
    Last edited by coolatt; 11-09-2008 at 08:11 PM.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I had a set of the 08's and never felt them to be too grabby. YMMV.

Much better brake than the Juicy. IMHO.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would switch to the resin pads if you haven't already. They will typically reduce that initial bite and allow for more modulation. if you're curious as to what pads you have, take them out and they should be marked on the back.