mtbr member
    Apr 2004

08 dual control levers with magura marta calipers, possible?

Been looking all over to find out if this is possible.

Read somewhere that Magura was a high pressure system vs Shimano's low pressure and therefore would not work.

Does anyone have the facts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Noc

mtbr member
    It is rare that the levers from one company will work with the calipers from another, they all have their own pressure 'volumes' designed to work with their own calipers.
    Why would you want to do this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    have seen shimano brake levers with marta caliper. it was one of the first sort of brake lever for disc from shimano, but I donīt think they have changed that since then.

magura are high preasure to, or the truth is that marta and loise is it, but not julie (not hs33 either, but that is a rim brake). but magura is the only other brand that even would be possible to mix with shimano, bescouse itīs the only other company that use the same sort of oil

here is one thread about it: XTR levers/Marta calipers: works

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The reason for this is the desire to use dual controls with the lightest possible calipers

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    It is rare that the levers from one company will work with the calipers from another, they all have their own pressure 'volumes' designed to work with their own calipers.
    Why would you want to do this?
    It's not that rare for them to be compatible. It's just rare for people to do it. There are still lots of folks that experiment and come up with matches. It's trial and error, but in no way is it "rare" that one lever won't work with another caliper or brand of caliper (fluids being equal).

There are lots of variables to consider, and stroke volume is one of them. As more people are doing this, they are finding less of a difference in stroke volumes of SOME freeride levers compared to XC levers that originally thought. FWIW, I have bolted Hope Mini Levers to a V2 caliper temporarily, and it worked.

Barnett Certified
    I have had experience with magura blood ruining the piston seals on Shimano calipers. I would imagine there is some sort of additive in the magura blood that doesn't mesh well with shimano rubber. If you do try it, I would recommend using shimano fluid.