No Tail-Just a Nub

07 XTR pod shifter firmness and brake compatibility

While I really like the firmness of SRAM shifters, I prefer the rapidfire setup better (despite the mushiness of my older XT shifters). Have the new XTR pods captured any of the SRAM firmness? How about the current XT's?

Also, which disc brake levers do these shifters NOT work well with (considering XTR, Puro Oro, Avid Ultimate)?

thanks much...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I run the current Xt shifters and really like their action, although I never considered previous shifters mushy.... a friend also has the new XTR and they feel really good

regarding lever compatibility I don't see any issues, although the XTR has a much broader adjustment range than the XT

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The new XTR pods have a more positive feel, they also shift on or two stops. I can actually get three cogs on the rear per shift.

Firm and precise.

The pods have a little stop that fits into the XTR brake lever, not a requirement but it works nice for me.

K Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by sangmatt
    While I really like the firmness of SRAM shifters, I prefer the rapidfire setup better (despite the mushiness of my older XT shifters). Have the new XTR pods captured any of the SRAM firmness? How about the current XT's?

Also, which disc brake levers do these shifters NOT work well with (considering XTR, Puro Oro, Avid Ultimate)?

thanks much...

the XTR shifters beat the X.O in my opinion in ergonomics, adjustability and precision. the X.O feels like Shrek Shifters after using XTR's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I love my new xtr. I can go all the way up the cassette in two pushes and then i can go down in 4. The downshifts have two per push if desired or you can click just once... I think they are way nicer than the sram...