Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

07 Hope M4's on a Lyrik?

Does anyone know what adapter I would need, and what size rotor would work with this?

Thanks,

Meh.
    Is the 07 M4 Post Mount?

I know the Lyrik is PM, so depending on what rotor size you want to use, you may not need an adapter.

mtbr member
    yes, the caliper is post mount. I've got a 185 rotor, so it do they make an adapter that will work with that rotor, or do I need to go up to a 203?

unless I don't understand right, looks like they make an adapter for both, no?

http://hopetechusa.com/voir_hbm_imag...deimage_1.html

mtbr member
    You can get adapters for 180 and 203mm

laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    edit :- got the damn linky working
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRick
    You can get adapters for 180 and 203mm

thanks. I have a avid 185 adapter, but it doesn't line up right with the hope calipers.

but does hope make an adapter that will work?

mtbr member
    post mount is stndard 74mm spacing. Do you mean the mount wont fit the calliper, or whens its mounted its too far away from the disk ?
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    post mount is stndard 74mm spacing. Do you mean the mount wont fit the calliper, or whens its mounted its too far away from the disk ?
    not, the caliper fits the mount just fine. it's just that mounting it directly to the fork it won't work with my 185 (or 183, whatever) rotor. It looks like it will work with a 160, but I haven't mounted it and tried.

I was using the Avid adapter you mentioned earlier since I already had it, but it's not a good fit. I was hoping that Hope made one so that I could use it and everything mount flush.

mtbr member
    can you post a pic of it once youve tried to ft it ?
    If hope made an adapter, then it would be the same fittings as they avid one, post mount on all forks, and all mounts are the same width, 74mm.(some one will prove me wrong im sure).....
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    oh i get you !
    the mount and caliper fit the fork fine, but not with your size rotor ?
    i think for a 160 rotor you use no mount, and for 180/185 + you need to use a mount......
    am i getting the right end of the stick now ?
    if i am, then you want "e" on this list ....
    Hope mount
    Buy me !
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    hahaha, yes i definitely need a mount.

but the avid won't line up right. i don't time to take a pic (pack for a trip tomorrow), but basically if i use the avid adapter, i have to use washers or spacers to make it sit flush with the posts and caliper, and then the caliper isn't aligned with my rotor. make sense?

and adapter E on that page won't work for me, as I don't have a fox 40 shock, it's a rock shox lyrik.

i was thinking if anything I would need adapter C or adapter H, but I was trying to confirm which one and if it would work.

I was told my Hopes would not work with a Lyrik.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    hahaha, yes i definitely need a mount.

but the avid won't line up right. i don't time to take a pic (pack for a trip tomorrow), but basically if i use the avid adapter, i have to use washers or spacers to make it sit flush with the posts and caliper, and then the caliper isn't aligned with my rotor. make sense?

and adapter E on that page won't work for me, as I don't have a fox 40 shock, it's a rock shox lyrik.

i was thinking if anything I would need adapter C or adapter H, but I was trying to confirm which one and if it would work.

I was told my Hopes would not work with a Lyrik.
    It works fine, whoever told you that is wrong. I run 07' M4's on a Lyrik, and have used them with both 183 and 203 rotor sizes. I can check which one is correct for 183, I think it's the "J" mount if I remember correctly.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    J is IS to post.......
    I meant "h" hahhaha (it was late !!)
    if you look at the designs of the hope and avid they seem quite a bit different, the hope mount seems to set the calliper back a bit, where as the avid mount is literaly 10mm of metal to push it away from the mounts.
    Id just buy that hope mount "h" or the other link i sent you, and that sure cure all your problems.
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    update: I should have been more clear about this. We couldn't get my Hopes to work with my Lyrik when using the 2 piece rotors. It works ok with the one piece rotor. So all is good again.

mtbr member
    cant se why they wouldnt work with the floating rotors, thats weird
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    cant se why they wouldnt work with the floating rotors, thats weird
    b/c the inner part of the 2 piece rotor kept hitting/rubbing the adapter. insanely tight tolerances on hopes. we even had to trim the avid one a bit to make it work.

mtbr member
    Update:

So I have now tried two Lyriks, a Uturn coil and a Solo air, and neither will work with my 07 M4's and a 183 rotor.

The first, the U-turn, I could rig and make work, but it would not work the proper way with Hope's Adapter. I had a warranty issue with this one, so it got sent back, and I am using a Solo air for the time being.

When using the Hope adapter on both forks, the adapter would hit the inner part of the rotor (these are 2 piece rotors BTW.) It was worse on the Solo, I couldn't even bolt the adapter on unless the front wheel was off, or if I positioned one of the gaps of the inner rotor right behind the bottom post/adapter hole.

I haven't talked to Rockshox tech yet, but the Hope tech said that with Rockshox it's a total hit or miss. Some forks work, some don't. He said they (Hope) had basically come ot the conclusion that Rockshox has so much variation in their post mount locations, they assumed they weren't using jigs to weld the post mounts to the lowers.

I know some people have had success at this, as Larry stated earlier. But I have not, so I am now thinking the only solution is a new fork, as I am not parting with my brakes.

So if you have any suggestions, please drop in the shock forum and give me some advice. Thanks!

Meh.
    The mounts aren't welded... So somebody is way off. Welding Magnesium is a bad idea. This is the first I've heard of poor manufacturing tolerances with the Lyrik. Marzocchi has knowingly shipped forks with twisted lowers before. Stuff happens..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The mounts aren't welded... So somebody is way off. Welding Magnesium is a bad idea. This is the first I've heard of poor manufacturing tolerances with the Lyrik. Marzocchi has knowingly shipped forks with twisted lowers before. Stuff happens..
    Ah, I didn't realize, I was just going off what the Hope tech guy told me.

mtbr member
    Update this morning: Talked to a very helpful guy at RS customer service. They hadn't heard about this issue, and had no fix for it. They were willing to send out another set of lowers to my shop to try (this would be the third, since I am on my second fork), but he really wanted me to send in my entire fork and brake set up so they could take a closer look at it.

Which I am not doing. I have had too much downtime on my bike as it is.

Meh.
    Usually SRAM is pretty good with the CS. They'll do what they can to make it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Usually SRAM is pretty good with the CS. They'll do what they can to make it right.

Oh definitely. The guy was extremely nice and helpful, but just honestly couldn't help much without seeing the setup, which is understandable.

mtbr member
    I was messing around with this again last night and shot this pic. It's not the greatest, but hopefully you can see just how close the rotor is to the post mounts. When I took this pic, I the rotor was in the way to the point where I couldn't even tighten down the adapter.

And even when the adapter isn't being used, the inner part of the two piece rotor is MAYBE 2mm from the post mounts. I think it's closer than that, but I am being generous with my estimate. It's too damn close for my liking no matter what.

So still not solution for running my brakes with a 183 rotor. I have been running a 160 on the front waiting on my U-turn to get back from warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have tried mounting the avid adapter on my lyriks for a 183mm rotor / hayes hfx9's and cannot get it to fit properly.

Anyone got a pic?

mtbr member
    i cannot see why it doesnt work well. If the mount fork and brake are all correct tolerances then it should, sounds liek the forks mounts are buggered ?
    laser guided democracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast