There's no app for this.

06 Avid Juicy 5's Sticky Pistons

can anyone advise a fix? ...shop says "too much fluid and to bleed off a little". The rear locked today and the front has in past. The Pistons are more than reluctant to return when forced back in place. Brakes are new. I've read a few reviews that tell me this is a common thing. I'm 3 hours from the shop or I'd simply have them do it and follow up until the things perform properly.

I'm considering a little hammering if the damn things don't start to co-operate.

thanks in advance, Jim MCM11
    Last edited by JimC.; 02-19-2007 at 05:45 AM.

Not dead yet, just playin
    Can you take a tire lever or flat blade screwdriver and push the pistons back into the caliper? If you can, then you're suffering from sticky piston syndrome. Do a search on Juicy+sticky to find the instructions on how to lube the pistons with DOT fluid.

If you can't push the pistons all the way into the caliper, you have too much fluid in the system (another common Avid problem). Remove the bleed screw at the lever, hold a rag over the hole, and push the pistons back into the caliper.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Meh.
    Yeah. if they lock up after a little bit of riding or temperature changes, it's that the system is overfilled. Basically as the fluid expands, it runs out of room to go, so it just pushes the pistons out more.

I would flush out the OE DOT fluid and replace it with fresh DOT 5.1.

If it's a sticky piston (as in the piston cannot be forced back in, or the movement is inhibited), then hold the piston that is moving more freely in it's bore with a tire lever while pumping the brake lever. This will push the sticky piston out of it's bore a bit (don't go too far as to pop the piston out of the bore). Clean all around the piston with alcohol. Then lube it up with DOT fluid or silicone spray. Push the piston back into the bore, and work it in and out a few times. If it's still sticky, repeat the process.

There's no app for this.

Thanks guys

I'll give your solutions a try, it should work. Then I can tackle the pulsing and noise these things make. Jim MCM11

mtbr member
    Replace em with a set of Maguras Jim.....

Hey, when you gonna come over and ride again? I have not seen you for so long I thought you and your Island sank.........

There's no app for this.

good idea...

island didn't sink, I'm planning on my home being future waterfront though. I hope to get over there a lot more starting shortly.

On the brakes, of all the good and bad I've had, and I've had lots of both, these are the worst I believe. noisy, inconsistent, and badly executed. they do stop you OK but only if they are in a rare moment of the stars in prefect alignment. I'm not wasting my time with them.

Gimme a brake, Avid!

Jim