mtbr member

04 XT Integrated Brake/Shifter with

high normal derailer (non-Rapid Raise) VS XT Hydro brake levers & RF pods-which set-up is best for XC, epic rides & techical riding? Both set-ups use 04 XT disc brakes, dealer might be willing to swapout Integrated levers for the older XT pods with XT Hydro disc brake levers on a new bike that's on order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I like Dual Control...

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    high normal derailer (non-Rapid Raise) VS XT Hydro brake levers & RF pods-which set-up is best for XC, epic rides & techical riding? Both set-ups use 04 XT disc brakes, dealer might be willing to swapout Integrated levers for the older XT pods with XT Hydro disc brake levers on a new bike that's on order.
    okay. i'm going out on a limb here, but yes, i like dual control levers. why? It's pretty intuitive especially if you keep the thumb shifters there. I think it's more intuitive than the old RF shifters. With the old ones, you'd have to take a finger off the brakes to shift the finger trigger, but for the new ones, you're always right there with a shift. also i feel like the thumb action is a more natural action, pushing up into the bar, rather than parallel to the bar. and one sorta side benefit is that it clears up your grips. RF always seemed to have the triggers in the way and it's nice to have enough space to get a good grip. and yes, i'm a fan of rapid rise too - at least with the new shifters. i think it makes sense, all your low gear changes are crisp, accurate every time. you need that on a climb. you don't really need that going downhill. but yeah, if you're going RF, then keep the non rapid rise. I think it would seriously confuse me if i had RF and RR together. basically unlearning everything you know... hope this helps...

GL,
    -don