mtbr member

04 Magura Louise

I am currently running avid mechs and i am looking to upgrade for more stopping power and modulation. i saw these on ebay---i know that the older magura's were horrible but have heard that these are great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Does anyone have any experience with these and can recomend them!
    Thanks
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

One more thing

I forgot to mention that i ride a cannondale jekyll with the lefty. i am wondering how hard the setup is for these as well!

Thanks
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Bodhisattva
    They'll provide better modulation but not necessarily more power.

If power is what you're after then look into a bigger Avid rotor.

Don't get me wrong, Louise is a great brake but unless you swap front calipers you're still limited to a 160mm rotor. Rotor size is the primary determinant of power.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Do It Yourself
    I just got the 2004 Louise XCs and they are outstanding brakes. Highly recommended! And at that price it's a steal. I bought mine direct from Magura so I don't have any experience with that seller but feedback looks good. I was using Magura Martas previously and Avid mechanical before that. The Louise will be a big upgrade from the Avids. Hydraulics are sooo much smoother and easier on your hands and the Magura modulation is legendary. But like Squeak said if you really want more stopping power, check out the Louise FR with a 180 rotor up front. The same seller had those for sale as well but for a bit more money. The 160mm are good enough for me at around 165lbs and I live in a relatively flat area. For a heavier rider and/or extended downhills, more differential between front and rear braking would be nice and the the larger rotor up front would probably work out better.

One tip for setup though. Get your disc tabs on your frame and fork faced with the Magura Gnan-0-mat or similar Hope tool. It will avoid any problems with aligning the calipers . With the tabs flush, it's simply a matter of getting the rotor center in the caliper with the proper shims (included with the brakes).