mtbr member
    Jun 2009

[Weirdest Question ever]Shimano brake's owners: what's wrong with the lever?

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm not fluent.
    I'm interesting in buying some new brakes, and i'm looking into something "strong", with a lot of power, like the new Shimano Zee for example.

I went to many shop, didn't find many Shimano brakes, but only a couple of XT and XTR brakes installed on display bikes.

I've "tried" with my finger, to pull the lever as I will do if I were riding. And i found something...weird.
    I had the feeling that when I pull the lever, I feel like a "hard point", (like if you were facing two magnets in front of each others). I thought first they were faulty, and tried the second one, and it was exactly the same feeling.

I don't know if someone will understand what i'm trying to explain, but if yes, thanks to reply as I don't understand if it's a normal behaviour or not...

Here's a picture:

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's the cam action in the lever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes. Shimano calls it the "Servo Wave" mechanism. The pads move more distance at the start of the pull, which can feel like they're jumping or snapping onto the rotor like a magnet.

It seems to work. You will get used to it.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

undercover brother
    Takes a minute to get used to it, but once you do they feel amazing. It took me a while to learn to feel and to be able to feather the brakes, but the power and modulation you get are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks to everyone for your reply. Because of you I found this feeling was normal. I'm just a bit worried not to get used to. My first impression when i've "tried" to pull the lever, was not good. Need to choose between the Saint, Zee, or Hope M4 now. Thanks for your helps guys, I really appreciate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You'll definitely get used to it if Shimano ends up being your choice.

BTW, I recently saw a chart with the power rating of many different brakes. If I remember correctly, the XTs were stronger than the Saint/Zee brakes. I might not be remembering correctly though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilva View Post
    You'll definitely get used to it if Shimano ends up being your choice.

BTW, I recently saw a chart with the power rating of many different brakes. If I remember correctly, the XTs were stronger than the Saint/Zee brakes. I might not be remembering correctly though.
    Thnaks for your reply. Here's the link with the chart:

How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

However, there's not a huge difference. Thanks anyway, i'm gonna thinking to XT now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    Yes. Shimano calls it the "Servo Wave" mechanism. The pads move more distance at the start of the pull, which can feel like they're jumping or snapping onto the rotor like a magnet.

It seems to work. You will get used to it.
    Oh, I never even noticed it on my M785 brakes. I knew they had a feature that quickly took up the initial travel so the pads can be a little further from the rotors to prevent rubbing, but I never noticed difference in lever feel throughout the travel. Must've gotten used to it.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    Oh, I never even noticed it on my M785 brakes. I knew they had a feature that quickly took up the initial travel so the pads can be a little further from the rotors to prevent rubbing, but I never noticed difference in lever feel throughout the travel. Must've gotten used to it.

Same here. The lever pull is the same thruout the pull on mine.

Are you sure it's not pads clamping onto the disc that give you the "hard point" and then it feels smooth again like during modulation?

I dont feel anything like what is being described. I even tried my 2 buddies bikes, one of which is SLX, the other is Saint.....no hard point thru the pull.

The only quality of the pull that I find different from other brakes, like the Formula or the avids that I used to run, is that the cam in the lever requires a bit of extra force when you initiaite the lever pull; at the beginning of the pull. There is no "hump" mid pull.