Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,607

    $400 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?

    So Ive just about had it with my Avid XX brakes on my Blur LTC and want to sell them on Ebay and replace them. Im looking to spend about $400 (maybe a bit more if necessary. I know that Hopes will probably run me a bit more than that) on brakes/rotors.

    Ive read through this forum some and hear a lot of good things about the new Shimano XTs as well as Hopes. So, can I go wrong with either set? Which would you go for?

    As for the Hopes, their website is super confusing. There are a ton of brakes on there and its hard to differentiate between them.

    I ride in Austin, TX, so a lot of short ups and downs and rocks, but no real sustained downhills so brakes overheating is not really a serious concern.


    Im mainly interested in brakes that are strong, dont feel spongey and are easy to bleed (the Avids were a nightmare to bleed due to the bleed port being below the reservoir in the lever....).

    thanks

  2. #2
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Dude . . . call Hope Tech Monday morning and ask them what they have left on the Limited Ed. sets. I just picked up an entire M4 caliper for $60 (I already have the levers). I bet they can easily set you up within your budget.

    I'd look at an M4 front and an X2 rear for your setup. I ran this here in SoCal for a few years, but the X2 just wasn't able to keep up on the sustained downhills. You might even be able to get away with an X2/X2 setup, but personally I'd rather have an M4 in the front. I'll sell you my X2 caliper with a brand new set of EBC red pads for cheap. You'd just have to buy two levers and hoses, and you'll be good to go. PM me if you want to work something out.

    Bleeding Hope's is SUPER easy and doesn't require any fancy kits.

    P.S. I know it seems like I'm trying to sell you on my caliper, which I'm not. You can see my post history to know that I love Hope brakes
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163
    Hope every time, no brainer imo.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Dude . . . call Hope Tech Monday morning and ask them what they have left on the Limited Ed. sets. I just picked up an entire M4 caliper for $60 (I already have the levers). I bet they can easily set you up within your budget.

    I'd look at an M4 front and an X2 rear for your setup. I ran this here in SoCal for a few years, but the X2 just wasn't able to keep up on the sustained downhills. You might even be able to get away with an X2/X2 setup, but personally I'd rather have an M4 in the front. I'll sell you my X2 caliper with a brand new set of EBC red pads for cheap. You'd just have to buy two levers and hoses, and you'll be good to go. PM me if you want to work something out.

    Bleeding Hope's is SUPER easy and doesn't require any fancy kits.

    P.S. I know it seems like I'm trying to sell you on my caliper, which I'm not. You can see my post history to know that I love Hope brakes
    thanks for the advice. whats the deal with this Limited Edition sets? are they like leftover sets from last year? just wondering why theyre such good deals. how do i get in touch with em? just call em or email or what? I assume Ill need new rotors as well, correct?

    honestly, Id like to go with Hopes becuase ive heard great things about em and they just look solid. but Ive heard good things about the newer XT brakes as well so wanted to check out multiple options.

    i have an Avid bleed kit. you said you dont need a special kit to bleed Hopes. not sure what that means exactly.

    thanks for your input and feel free to just PM me these answers. everyone might not care to hear all this. ha. ill think about your offer on your X2, but think I might just prefer to go all new on this.
    Last edited by sooner518; 03-30-2013 at 02:46 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,326

    Hopes

    Give Bikerbob a shout bob.at.bikerbobdotcom, I'm sure he can get them near your price range. Hopes are money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1030034-1-.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1030033-1-.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1030039-1-.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1030035-1-.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1050370.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1050368.jpg  

    0 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?-p1050367.jpg  


  6. #6
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Hope every time, no brainer imo.
    What makes them so much better than the XT's?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,326
    I've only ridden XT's on a buddies bike, I didnt like the lever shape or feel of the modulation. I also cant stand how big the master cylinder is. Hopes look great, are super easy to bleed and just reak of quality. You can upgrade to the stainless line for minimal cost and the fittings are all reusable. They are super quiet to boot.

  8. #8
    Quiet Professional
    Reputation: chef7734's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    515
    I just got a pair of Shimano Zee for under 300.00 shipped from germany. If you want the xt and dont mind a couple of weeks they can be had for 172.10 plus shipping for the pair, saints are 366.23 plus shipping for the pair, zees were 275 after shipping for the pair. Hope are about the same price as us. 204 for m4 each, and about 180 each for x2.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953

    Upset

    From one OU fan to another. I have both, XT's and Hopes. XT's are very good. Not great on modulation, but very easy initial depression, but not a lot of feeling Or feedback. Hopes are just awesome. They are a little heaver but much better at speed. Great modulation, great power, unbelievably reliable, unlike avids, or formulas.

  10. #10
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    I was in the same boat and chose the xts, but you really can't go wrong with either. The xts are a stronger brake, but the hopes have slightly better modulation and they look great. Both companies have stellar customer service. It all came down to price for me, as I got the whole xt kit for $220 vs the $390 I was going to have for the hope set up I wanted. My next bike might have hopes, but I love my xts. The nice thing about hopes is you can purchase all the parts of the brake for rebuilds and maintenance, with xts it's kinda just replace the lever/caliper, but shimano is awesome about warranties. Just my 2 cents...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I was in the same boat and chose the xts, but you really can't go wrong with either. The xts are a stronger brake, but the hopes have slightly better modulation and they great.
    The xt's are not in the least bit stronger. Maybe between the x2 series which is hopes xc brake, but not the m or v from hope.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    There are a few really good places to get hopes, but tartybikes.com has different color parts for them which makes things even cooler looking.

  13. #13
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    The xt's are not in the least bit stronger. Maybe between the x2 series which is hopes xc brake, but not the m or v from hope.
    Agree to disagree. I've never tried the v caliper, but they're definitely a sharper brake then the m4, and much stronger than the x2. But both of those hop3s are plenty strong, I have just found that the xts ha ve a harder bite than the m4s that I tried.

  14. #14
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Agree to disagree. I've never tried the v caliper, but they're definitely a sharper brake then the m4, and much stronger than the x2. But both of those hop3s are plenty strong, I have just found that the xts ha ve a harder bite than the m4s that I tried.
    Agreed . . . which is another way to say they have less modulation.

    For me, the XTs are more powerful than the X2s and they do indeed have more bite than the M4s, but in terms of stopping power, I don't think the XTs are the same. Granted, I've never tried the XTRs with the servo-wave thing.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    Im ok with agree to disagree, but the m4 has almost double the power of the xt's. i have x2 set up by me. I have a set of m4's currently sitting in a box, i have a set of v2 and v4s. My x2s are on a hardtail, and my v4s are on my HD and my V2s are on my slr. I have a ton of time on a lot of brakes and xt's are very good brakes, a great choice by many. But not nearly the power of an m brake from hope. You also have to take into account disc size and tire and grip. You could get an xt to bite hard on big discs and grippy tires, but having had all of them on my bikes i can attest that the m and v series are far stronger than the xt's. the x2s i will give you.

  16. #16
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Hope is an awesome company, but you pay the price for their products. Like I said, my next brakes will likely be hopes, especially with the braided hoses. But for me, in Ohio, on my trail bike, the xts have more than enough power. The lever on the xts is also pretty slick for one fingered braking, but some people do not prefer them.

    For the op, try both out if you can, but I really doubt you will be disappointed in either choice.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Agreed . . . which is another way to say they have less modulation.

    For me, the XTs are more powerful than the X2s and they do indeed have more bite than the M4s, but in terms of stopping power, I don't think the XTs are the same. Granted, I've never tried the XTRs with the servo-wave thing.
    Are you taking initial bite or power? The xtr's are just a little lighter, no more power than the xt's

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Hope is an awesome company, but you pay the price for their products. Like I said, my next brakes will likely be hopes, especially with the braided hoses. But for me, in Ohio, on my trail bike, the xts have more than enough power. The lever on the xts is also pretty slick for one fingered braking, but some people do not prefer them.


    For the op, try both out if you can, but I really doubt you will be disappointed in either choice.
    Yeah they are pricy.

  19. #19
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    There are a few really good places to get hopes, but tartybikes.com has different color parts for them which makes things even cooler looking.
    Great link man. Thanks.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    If you order though tartybikes or direct in Texas, they seem to be a touch cheaper. Ask for Phil in Texas and ask for a deal.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Great link man. Thanks.
    Anytime. Those guys ship fast. Real fast. I had stuff in 2 days. From England no less.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,859
    Shimano Zee. It may seem like complete overkill to put DH brakes on an XC bike but it isn't. While they do have more power than you'll ever need, they also have better modulation and control than Shimano's XT and other 2-piston brakes. I'm not sure if it's because of the 4-piston design or what feels like a slightly different leverage curve on the Servowave mechanism, probably both. I find that the Saint/Zee modulate every bit as well as my old 4-piston XT brakes, and those ones could match the Hopes for modulation & control.

    The SLX/XT/XTR brakes are nice and work well for many people, but to me they have a bit of a wonky spot in the Servowave curve which makes it harder to feather the brakes. It's easier to accidentally lock up a wheel than with the Zee/Saint.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    What makes them so much better than the XT's?
    Every thing that has been mentioned already about how good Hope brakes are!
    Availability of spares and how easy they are to service if you need to. The ease of bleeding them. They look the bizz and they are powerful with the best modulation in any brake, meaning you can control the bike better and not just lock up the wheel which translates into being a faster rider.

  24. #24
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Every thing that has been mentioned already about how good Hope brakes are!
    Availability of spares and how easy they are to service if you need to. The ease of bleeding them. They look the bizz and they are powerful with the best modulation in any brake, meaning you can control the bike better and not just lock up the wheel which translates into being a faster rider.
    I think the thing that took me the longest to realize is that the Hope brakes are indeed substantially more powerful; however, their ability to modulate that power makes them SEEM less powerful if you are used to an ON/OFF setup.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Give Bikerbob a shout bob.at.bikerbobdotcom, I'm sure he can get them near your price range. Hopes are money.
    Thanks for the suggestion. He had the cheapest price I've seen so far for lever, caliper, rotors and adapters. Prolly ordering them tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Limited Edition Pink Hope X2 brakeset - $322 @ probikesupply.com
    By Radarr in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
  2. Best HOPE TECH brakeset for trail/am
    By LGavin in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 07:02 AM
  3. XTR brakeset to replace Hope tech M4
    By justbuster69 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
  4. I cannot get a good bleed on my 2012 Shimanos
    By Mr WingNut in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
  5. how good is Shimanos Pro stuff
    By nauc in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •