Chamois Dropper

$1.99 SLX upgrade

I had noticed that my wife's M666 SLX brakes had the same threads in the calipers where the pin goes through to hold the pads as my XTs. I looked up the part, its called a "Pad Axle". Found them online for cheap and ordered some.They come with the little retention clip. This will replace the cotter pin and possibly cut down on the clacking sound that the SLXs have when the pad hits the rotor and moves in the caliper. It took about 2 minutes to change them out. I was somewhat apprehensive that the cotter pin had mashed the threads in the caliper but the new bolts spun right in smoothly. Great 1st wedding anniversary gift, right? right?
    The Shimano part # is Y8JZ98010
    This is where I bought them :
    Shimano XT BR-M785 Pad Axle & Snap Ring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alt=.99 SLX upgrade-001.jpg  

alt=.99 SLX upgrade-002.jpg  

alt=.99 SLX upgrade-004.jpg  

2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Gigantic Hawk
    Bolts are always better than cotter pins. Nicely done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Great 1st wedding anniversary gift, right? right?
    :

Not if you want to have a 2nd anniversary.. lol.. Get the girl something gold , earnings or a nice necklace pendant and youll be in gooood shape .. Costco has some really nice earnings and its one of the only places i would trust not to be ripping me off when it comes to jewelry..

Congrats on the easy-pezy upgrade that really will make a difference-- and on the first year anniversary

Chamois Dropper
    Just kidding. We actually agreed not to get gifts, as we are saving for a trip to Spain in December. I did bring home flowers, though.
    We will test out the bike on our thanksgiving ride to see if it cuts down the clicking sound,but its really no big deal if it doesn't. My XTs don't make a sound so I thought the bolt might help.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Nice - now for another buck or so you can upgrade do an SLX mod that Mr.Magura did to give the SLX the free stroke adjustment that the XT also have.

Shimano Zent