mtbr member

New question here. Warranty replace or fix?

I have an 08 Trailfox that just had the water bottle cage bolts pull through the frame WITH part of the frame intact. I have never seen this on any bike and not sure how a 16-20 ounce water bottle could cause this to happen. It has rendered the cage useless and now I have two big holes in the down tube.

I bought the frame off Ebay used and not sure if BMC will cover this. Any thoughts on course of action to fix appreciated. I can post close-ups of the frame soon.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    One big hole from the bolt that pulled through the frame...and the other bolt is on its way to coming out with about 1/2 the frame material pulling out with it. This has to be very thin aluminum to be able to pull the frame material out with it, even with a full water bottle. Should I take this up with BMC and push for a warranty replacement frame? I bought it used so I don't expect to get far going that route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warranty replace or fix?-may-2012-040.jpg  

Warranty replace or fix?-may-2012-041.jpg  

Warranty replace or fix?-may-2012-042.jpg  

08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Used = no warranty. You don't exist to BMC.
    Best to try to fill it and ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Could you take it to a local frame builder and see if they can repair it? That looks an awfully big hole to just go out and ride on it.

Sorry to hear this.

mtbr member
    No worries...just picked up a brand new 08 Trailfox 02 off Ebay for $400 from Singapore! It does not have the carbon rear triangle but it does still have the DT Swiss XM 180 rear shock and I can swap all the parts!
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does this mean you have a spare rear triangle? I've just cracked the carbon seat stay on my Trailfox, would you be willing to part with a triangle?

mtbr member
    Sorry Mr.c, I am holding onto the complete frame in case the same thing happens with the new one. I will have the DT Swiss XM 180 rear shock available soon though...just need to get through the rest of the season before I start stripping her down. Check out Ebay for new complete frames...they can be had on the cheap.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!