mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Upgrading Wheelset-'09 TF 02

I got that good deal at Competitive Cyclist last year. Looking at the specs, it looks like they sent out a TF02 with the TF03 wheelset. I'm looking to upgrade to Stan's arch/flow on some Hadleys and wanted to know if there will be compatibility issues with the fork, cassette or the brakes. Also, I have no idea what cassette is on there. Is this something I should be thinking of upgrading as well?
    Last edited by Gregor1; 02-01-2011 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    What wheel set do you have now if what you say is correct you should have Alex? I think new wheels make the biggest improvement out of anything on a bike and Alex wheels are not so good. I would say a good wheel set would be a good upgrade for your bike and also make sure the hubs are good. The cassette will not be a issue and you just need to make sure the the wheels are six bolt disk wheels. Other than the wheels the seat post bars and stem that is a very good bike and you don't need to upgrade. As far as the seat post and the bars and stem go they are heavy I would go with some wider lighter bars a gravity drop seat post and a lighter stem maby a new seat other than that you have a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, I have the alex rims. Looking forward to the new wheelset. Thanks!

mtbr member
    If your are leaning towards the Stans I think youre making a good decision. I have a set of Arch rims with King hubs on my 575 and love them. They have more rolling resistance than the Fulcrum Red metal 1's on my TF but they are two completely different bikes. Dont know if that is a factor when looking for your next wheel set

Good luck
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    Sweet so you will order the Stans? Let me know how you like them I have never used them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i picked up a pair of hadley/arch wheels last winter built by mountain high cyclery. very stiff, roll forever, and the added grip from the tubeless setup made it a very worthy inverstment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    THAT's what I like to hear! Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    not much better than a wheel with good engagement!! I just built a set of DT4.2d rims to King hubs. SOOO much better than the crossmax I had before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It turns out my original setup is centerlock, so I'd need new brake rotors along with a new cassette(to protect whichever hub I get), which ended up pushing my cost well out of my price range-close to $900 built and shipped. Any recommendations for a comparably sweet wheelset closer to the $600 range? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the arch/hadley 20mm/10mm wheelset i got was right around 650 , check out mtnhighcyclery.com and contact larry they also have great prices on other components too

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=59628&cat=10

There are some nice builds for sale in the Classifieds section here. This is just one of them that I saw. Don't be afraid to buy used. I don't understand your reasoning for a new cassette. a center lock hub has nothing to do with how the cassette fits. Also rotors are not expensive. Less than $100 and that is paying MSRP...A 6 bolt hub will give you more options when buying new rotors. They do make a adapter to allow you to use a 6 bolt rotor on a center lock hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was just mentioning the cassette as another upgrade that I wasn't planning on. I've read on here that my cassette would wear out the softer materials of a new hub like the Hadleys. An XT or comparable cassette apparently has an aluminum carrier of some sort(I have no idea what I'm talking about here) that would not dig into the new hub. So, new rotors, cassete plus shipping added about $300 to the $650 I was planning on spending. Not a huge deal. I may just have to wait a little longer to get the wheelset I want.