Vintage Hardtail Rider
    May 2011

Thoughts on a fork for 2010 Speedfox

So I bought my first FS frame, a 2010 Speedfox lrg. from Competitive for what I thought was a good price I need helps with pickin out a fork as I have no experence with the whole shock thing.
    I'm 6'2" 200lbs and closer to dead than being born. I wont be doin anything to wild just havin fun. I hope to pick up a 2011 fork for $$$ off while they are still around.
    Any thoughts feelings and/or expert advice will help out a LOT !
    I also figured i'd check with the BMC crew rather than the general shocks thread as the best source for info.

Thank to all

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Magura Durin Marathon (120MM) on mine and so far it has been awesome.

It came stock with a Reba that I swapped off, I am sure that would have been fine as well.

Professional Speed Bump
    Any 120mm should do, but I would recommend a Fox F120 (RL or RLC).

Vintage Hardtail Rider
    May 2011
    Thanks for the replies !

I found a 2011 fox 32 F120 FIT RLC QR15 for a little under 6 bills so far.
    Kinda looks like a decent price for what i'm guessing is a good fork for my not to radical needs.
    My goal with this build is to max out at $ 2,500.00 and build a $ 5,000.00 bike

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post
    Thanks for the replies !

I found a 2011 fox 32 F120 FIT RLC QR15 for a little under 6 bills so far.
    Kinda looks like a decent price for what i'm guessing is a good fork for my not to radical needs.
    My goal with this build is to max out at $ 2,500.00 and build a $ 5,000.00 bike
    Make sure that QR15 is what you want.

Vintage Hardtail Rider
    May 2011
    TY Captian,

From what I can tell the advantage of the 15QR is it's sturdier than a 9mm open end ?
    I suppose that a possible disadvantage is that you would be limited to the choice of hubs for the 15QR and removing the wheel would not be as simple as the open end setup.
    If i'm totally off or missing somthing please chime in as the darn fork is gonna be as much as the frame $$$ wise and I don't need to make a mistake for noobish reasons
    I will say that all 4 of my bikes (all vintage) have the open end forks and I have never lost a wheel yet. After the fork is done i'll be tryin to sort out all the rest.

Again TY for all help !

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TY Captian,

From what I can tell the advantage of the 15QR is it's sturdier than a 9mm open end ?
    I suppose that a possible disadvantage is that you would be limited to the choice of hubs for the 15QR and removing the wheel would not be as simple as the open end setup.
    If i'm totally off or missing somthing please chime in as the darn fork is gonna be as much as the frame $$$ wise and I don't need to make a mistake for noobish reasons
    I will say that all 4 of my bikes (all vintage) have the open end forks and I have never lost a wheel yet. After the fork is done i'll be tryin to sort out all the rest.

Again TY for all help !

you want a thru axle, makes the bike way more stable when flying down the trail and the unexpected rock garden or root orgy pops up you will plow through with out getting bounced off your line. enjoy the speedfox i picked one up over the winter and its one bad machine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love my BMC SF02 but I swapped the 120mm for a 150mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just bought a frame also and put on my Reba 120 from another bike
    I think any 120 fork would be fine

Vintage Hardtail Rider
    May 2011
    TY to all that replied !

I ordered the Fox 32 f120 FIT RLC QR 15.
    It was 2011 sale price which was 6 bones "gasp" well 3 bucks under anyway.
    I'm now lookin at wheels to get the frameset off my floor and outta harms way.
    Like i wrote earlier, 'im not doin anything to radical unless there is some type of misadventure involved
    I'm thinking an XC wheelset is the way to go although i'm a feathery 210 lbs.
    but like most lookin to keep off the poundage off the bike. Me, well thats a work in progress. This build is takin the place of going to the gym.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TY to all that replied !

I ordered the Fox 32 f120 FIT RLC QR 15.
    It was 2011 sale price which was 6 bones "gasp" well 3 bucks under anyway.
    I'm now lookin at wheels to get the frameset off my floor and outta harms way.
    Like i wrote earlier, 'im not doin anything to radical unless there is some type of misadventure involved
    I'm thinking an XC wheelset is the way to go although i'm a feathery 210 lbs.
    but like most lookin to keep off the poundage off the bike. Me, well thats a work in progress. This build is takin the place of going to the gym.
    These are the wheels that I bought.

Easton Havoc AM

I have been very happy with them. Make sure you get the 15mm hub adapter.

Hub adapter

Vintage Hardtail Rider
    May 2011
    Hey BikinCO,

I was lookin at that wheelset.It's well within my pricerange and Bikebling is a 5 min. walk from my house
    While it would be nice to get a custom wheelset I was thinkin 5 bills was gonna be the upper limit.
    I can already see my cost projection as mentioned was a bit off

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bargin

Hey BikinCO,

I was lookin at that wheelset.It's well within my pricerange and Bikebling is a 5 min. walk from my house
    While it would be nice to get a custom wheelset I was thinkin 5 bills was gonna be the upper limit.
    I can already see my cost projection as mentioned was a bit off
    For $350 + tax, these are hard to beat. You could send me $100 and still come in under your budget!

mtbr member
    May 2010

How do you like the 150mm?.. worth the swap?
    what type of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

150mm Fork

Quote Originally Posted by Dparmar3 View Post

How do you like the 150mm?.. worth the swap?
    what type of riding do you do?
    I really like the 150mm fork. It's a Fox Float 32 150 FIT RLC, you can see my bike here.

The stock Marz we ****. With the Fox, I can actually set sag and the ride height is just a little higher. It does wander a bit on steep climbs but it does not really bother me. As for type of riding, I ride it everywhere but don't freeride or race.