Thread: ST02 Lightening

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

ST02 Lightening

Since I actually ride all mountain, I could use a bit of help with lightening my bike up since it just weight in at 15,6 kg, which is about 3kg heavier than all my friends AM bikes. I know the wheels are stupidly heavy, what which other parts on this bike are obese?

Many thanks guys!

mtbr member

weight

Lots of parts could be heavy what is the setup?? for example stem and the seatpost and the bars and the crank and the fork. You are talking lots of money to lighten it up. You could get a slx crank off ebay.de for 90 Euro and fsa carbon seatpost of ebay.de for 45 Euro and new set of light tires and lighter disks for the brakes something like hope plus you could get some freeride carbon bars but your talking lots of cash for all of that if you drop like 350 to 400 euro you could loose like a pound or 2 not a lot let me know what you will do I can help with ebay.de

mtbr member
    Plus If you are just doing AM a big upgrade would be a set of Fulcrum Red Metal 3 they are tubeless and light and strong with the qr option I have a set of the redmetal 5 and love them super strong not for freeride but AM is ok only 200 Euro

mtbr member
    Plus your fork is really heavy You could lose like a pound with a Fox fork. so you are talking like 4 pounds or like 2 kg fyi 1 pound is 2.2 kg all together in short if you want to spend a lot of money you can lose weight in a lot of places but you talking a new bike minus the frame. But if you ride a lot its worth it because the weight really stinks. I ride a bmc Trailfox tf03 09 120mm for Am and its a good weight I could not imagine adding 3 kg that would stink I know when I have like 2 liters of water in the bag with some food I can feel it. So If you can drop like another 4 to 6 hundred euro you could have like a 12-13 kg bike but the biggest difference would be the wheels than the fork than the other stuff. The frame is not that heavy and its a good frame its just all the other stuff they put on the bike
    I have a Fox fork 32f with a slx crank and fulcrum red metal 5 wheels light tires and the bike feels just as fast as my Focus Hardtail (in the woods) Not on the road but so what its not a road bike Ps. sorry about English I am German You could also ebay yours and get a trailfox

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the ST01 and it pops in at 13.8, even on the top model the wheels are pretty heavy.

The best cost effective way to get the thing moving is with lighter wheelset, look at some hope pro 3 hubs and maybe Stans rims. The forks, bars, seat post etc will help with weight but the wheels will make a massive performance improvement to the suspension and you legs!!!

Oh and ditch the std seat, apart from being like a butter knife up the crack it's heavy as fook, I replaced mine with a Bell Air Ti, lighter and comfortable for full day rides.

Regor