mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Speedfox or anthem

Hi guys, due to an injured knee Im looking for a efficient pedaling and lightweight bike. I almost made up my mind to buy a Giant anthem but then I saw the speedfox.
    Which system do you think is best in terms of pedal efficiency (no or little bobbing)?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I never rode an Anthem but the Speedfox def had noticeable bob when I rode it. If you are looking for pedal efficiency, the 4" Anthem is always going to beat a 5" AM bike like the BMC. A more appropriate comparison would be the BMC Fourstroke to the Anthem.

mtbr member
    I would have to disagree- I notice very little bob with my Speedfox and find that it climbing very efficiency. The addition of the propedal also helps with this. I previously rode mainly a Santa Cruz Blur. I bought the speedfox wanting a bike that I could ride everyday, but also would be an efficient and comfortable bike for racing endurance events. I've been riding my Speedfox about 4 days/week since August and have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The main reasons for comparing the Speedfox with the Anthem are the price (the cheapest fourstroke is almost twice the price of the cheapest anthem) and also the fact that in accordance with BMC, the speedfox is considered as a marathon bike (so it should be peal efficient)
    As kinsler I look for a comfortable bike for medium to long rides but with high pedal efficiency and I fear that the Speefox, as other Virtual pivot systems, suffers from excessive bobbing.

Salty member
    I cant say anything about the speedfox, but I am an Anthem X 29er owner. It pedals great, never any knee pain.

I have had my ACL, PCL and LCL all replaced about 10 years ago, so I know about knee issues. My Anthem has been a great and comfortable ride.

Good luck with the knee, I've been through my share of problems with the knee.
    2011 Anthem X 29er - Full XT, Carbon riser bars, tubeless
    If you're not bleeding, you're not trying...