Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: meat tooth paste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    688

    So anyone build up a BMC Superstroke yet?

    Did an mtbr search and didn't find much on the Superstroke aside from Francis' thread with the photos and some dead threads.

    Anyone buildup one of those clearance Superstroke frames yet? Particulary their size 19?

    Did some reading and found some online reviews on other sites and some Interbike test ride feedback.

    What I am curious about especially is the standover height. From photos and judging from the straight toptube, it looks pretty high.

    Anyone have any new feedback and thoughts on this rig?
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    148
    Someone had one (maybe a week ago?) around here, not sure if it was in this category or not though. Keep looking, it's out there. I'm thinking in suspension for some reason....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    38
    Looking into building a 07 Trailfox 02 with a Pike, X9, Crossmax ST 20mm's. No word on the superstroke though...

  4. #4
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    I just built one up recently I got on clearance from jenson.
    It's sick. Yes the standover is kinda high, but nothing that has caused any problems. It seems maybe 1/2 - 1 inch taller than some other bikes with a straight top tube. I built up a 21".






    I am gonna change out the fork sometime after I build up my new wheels for it. Sun MTX Grey Camo Hoops on Pewter Chris King Hubs. Should be pretty sick. Gonna build em up within the next few weeks. Not sure which fork I will end up running yet.........Also gonna have the Fox RP2 pushed asap.
    The nixon that is on it now I have "devolved" and it is 1000 times smoother now.
    If you have any more specific questions about the superstroke, I'll help you out if I can.
    But I can say I am really loving this build. It's a hair under 34lbs as it sits btw.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: meat tooth paste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    688
    Sweet build!
    Thanks for the feedback on the Superstroke.
    You closeups really show how much detail BMC puts into that frame.

    How is tire clearance?
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: meat tooth paste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnider8
    Someone had one (maybe a week ago?) around here, not sure if it was in this category or not though. Keep looking, it's out there. I'm thinking in suspension for some reason....
    Just found this post in the Arizona forum.

    Preliminary ride report: BMC superstroke 01

    I'd rather be riding my bike...

  7. #7
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Tire clearance is fine so far. Running a 2.35 Nevegal which is bigger than most 2.5 tires. I think a 2.5 Nevegal will fit just fine as well......and is about the size of a 2.7 other brand. We'll see soon.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  8. #8
    Brackish
    Reputation: carbuncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,688
    That bike came out really nicely! How does it ride? Does BMC have some kind of VPP going on with their suspension?

  9. #9
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    It rides sick.I went with a much shorter cockpit on this build. Actually the shortest I have done yet.
    Usually I'd go with a 90mm stem 10 degree rise and push my seat back as far as possible.

    I went with the 65mm 0 degree rise Sunline AM V One stem and Sunline V Two bars with a 50mm rise. I run my seat about in the middle of the rails right now........further forward than in the above pic.

    My biggest concern was that the short cockpit would make climbing tough. But it actually climbs better than any of my old bikes, and I find myself not even getting as tired. And the best part is my legs seemed to burn less, which is weird because I haven't barely had a chance to ride lately because of work, so I am outta riding shape.

    A few days ago I was bombing down some trails and my max speed was 35mph.....but I could have gone much faster and the bike felt amazingly stable even going through the turns at 30mph plus.

    The BMC link is actually copied the world around and many people think they borrowed it from other manufacturers, but it actually the other way around. They invented it in the early 1990's and MANY companies use a variant of their design. I wish I could find the webpages I read up about this info on....I'll try to dig them up. This topic could be debated by many, but all bull aside it is a great linkage design. It's very efficient in the pedaling department, which prolly explains how much easier it is to climb without hurting me too bad.

    So to break it down, the bike is so smooth and plush I had serious doubts about it's climbing ability. That is until I took it out for it's maiden trail voyage. This thing is phocking radical. A do it all true AM machine that can handle the rough stuff and climb like a hardtail. I'm totally stoked with it. Now I just need to get it out again for some small-ish jumps and bigger drops.
    Tomorrow I'm doing a shuttle run down Mt.Diablo in the bay area, and will let you guys know how that goes.

    Anyone looking into this bike, give it some serious thought. It rips. And a hair under 34 pounds is a modest weight for such a sturdy rig.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  10. #10
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I just built one up recently I got on clearance from jenson.
    It's sick. Yes the standover is kinda high, but nothing that has caused any problems. It seems maybe 1/2 - 1 inch taller than some other bikes with a straight top tube. I built up a 21".
    Kinda High? Yeah, looks like a hardtail from 1989. C'mon BMC...a 6" travel bike should have a MUCH lower standover.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spindelatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    788
    That rocker arm looks like it might make a good bottle opener =P

  12. #12
    Brackish
    Reputation: carbuncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    It rides sick.I went with a much shorter cockpit on this build. Actually the shortest I have done yet.
    Usually I'd go with a 90mm stem 10 degree rise and push my seat back as far as possible.

    I went with the 65mm 0 degree rise Sunline AM V One stem and Sunline V Two bars with a 50mm rise. I run my seat about in the middle of the rails right now........further forward than in the above pic.

    My biggest concern was that the short cockpit would make climbing tough. But it actually climbs better than any of my old bikes, and I find myself not even getting as tired. And the best part is my legs seemed to burn less, which is weird because I haven't barely had a chance to ride lately because of work, so I am outta riding shape.

    A few days ago I was bombing down some trails and my max speed was 35mph.....but I could have gone much faster and the bike felt amazingly stable even going through the turns at 30mph plus.

    The BMC link is actually copied the world around and many people think they borrowed it from other manufacturers, but it actually the other way around. They invented it in the early 1990's and MANY companies use a variant of their design. I wish I could find the webpages I read up about this info on....I'll try to dig them up. This topic could be debated by many, but all bull aside it is a great linkage design. It's very efficient in the pedaling department, which prolly explains how much easier it is to climb without hurting me too bad.

    So to break it down, the bike is so smooth and plush I had serious doubts about it's climbing ability. That is until I took it out for it's maiden trail voyage. This thing is phocking radical. A do it all true AM machine that can handle the rough stuff and climb like a hardtail. I'm totally stoked with it. Now I just need to get it out again for some small-ish jumps and bigger drops.
    Tomorrow I'm doing a shuttle run down Mt.Diablo in the bay area, and will let you guys know how that goes.

    Anyone looking into this bike, give it some serious thought. It rips. And a hair under 34 pounds is a modest weight for such a sturdy rig.
    Thanks for the in-depth info! I think I see a Trailfox or a Fourstroke in my future.

  13. #13
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Sweet. I looked at a few diff bmc models, but the SS was the logical choice for me being such a huge dude. And the 6" of travel suit my riding style well. BTW, the standover is a total non issue on this bike with me. Could be for smaller riders though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •