mtbr member
    Aug 2008

sf29 speedfox sizing

I was looking at the specs for the SF29 Speedfox and I see two different specs relative to the same frame. BMC's site has it a tad larger than other sires selling the bike. I ride a trek large 19.5 now and it fits great. I am 6-0 tall, and inseam of 32.5-33". The ETT of the Trek is at 24.5 where as I get info of 24.25-25" for the BMC. Everything seems equal on sites and BMC had everything a half inch longer. I could compensate the extra top tube by going down a stem size and be close, but do not want to pull the trigger on a too big frame. Who has a large that give me a little insight or comparison. BTW, I did ride a TE29 hardtail in medium from the shop and it felt fine, but maybe a hair small as compared to what I have. He doesn't have a large to try.

two wheel whore
    I believe the SF29's all come with relatively short stems - 70mm, so I'm not sure how much shorter or longer you could go to keep it handling like it was intended.

I'm between a s/m, and went with the medium. Of course I ended up swapping out the bar, post, and stem. Going with the 50mm stem, zero setback post, and down to 685mm bar. I don't think I'd want to go with a longer stem, had I gotten the smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well with a 70mm stem I think I would not have to do anything. The difference in the top length would be negated by the extra length on my Fuel. My fuel has either a 90mm or 100mm, so they would dang close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Has is the small bump compliance with yours?

two wheel whore
    It is ok. Being a 29er helps. Had to send the rear shock back to Fox for warranty work, I think I will upgrade it later next year.