I like to ride my bike.

Salsa El Santo vs BMC Fourstroke 02

I would like to build up one of these bikes up as a XC race bike fit for 2 hour XC races, endurance races and also a shortrack machince. I was all set to get a Salsa, until I thought of the BMC. I'm about 6', 135ish lbs and will be racing on primarily technical XC courses.

A few things...

-Both have 71/73 - HA/ST, but the BMC appears to have really poor standover.
    -BMC is known for bad customer service, while I can chat with a few Salsa guys here on mtbr.
    -Both are made in Taiwan.
    -The Salsa simply looks better.
    -I'll be changing the rear shock to a DT Swiss SSD190L, and the BMC already comes with that. With the Salsa, I'd have to order one and the hardware. With this, it about evens out the cost.

Probably something else, but anyway, what are your thoughts? I'm open to suggestions on other frames, but my shop may not be able to get them.
    Thanks!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I had the exact same choice to make awhile back..

I ended up on the BMC (but the fourstroke 03) - my main reason is that the suspension design looked better and the bike just seemed like it was really well made. I can definitely tell you that the quality of the BMC is top notch, but also owning a salsa hardtail I can tell you the salsa is also good (but with weak paint).

The stand over on the BMC is poor as it has a tall bottom bracket, this BB height does lend its hand in technical terrain and especially on uphills. I find this amazing in endurance events when your not really concentrating, very rare for me to get pedal strikes...

Overall I'm super impressed with the BMC, sadly mine is using the Rockshox Ario shock which just plain sucks. The DT or the Fox will change this bike to a whole new level (I know this.. as i tried the DT shock on this bike for a ride and it was awesome). Also, my frame weighed a portly 2.8kg with shock, but mine is the 03 (the 02 is not available in Aus ATM), the 02 should be a little lighter - if anything.. lighter then the salsa.

The suspension design definately works well and handles all types of terrain confidently. Overall - I'm happy with my choice.. just wish the bike never came with that rockshox Ario shock....