mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Protecting the Fourstroke toptube

I just got FS02 29. On the stock setup the brake levers and gear shifters hit the top tube when handlebars rotate more than 90 degrees. How do you deal with this? Are you using some kind of top tube protector or do you use riser bars or steeper stem?

mtbr member
    Yeah... Put a nice scratch on my carbon frame b/c of that. I have a slight rise on my bars and just adjusted my brake levers a bit which eliminated the problem. I also put some clear protective tape on the top tube, but this was mostly to protect the clear coat from my frame bags.

bikerpilot
    Clear tape isn't enough. Get some of this, it works very well. Has saved my top tube a couple of times. I put a single strip from underneath one side, across the top and underneath the other side, right where the contact occurs. This tape is padded so it protects the frame structurally as well as cosmetically.

Amazon.com: Shelter - Bike Frame Protection 2 Piece: Sports & Outdoors
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the link. I looked at their video and it seems to be really interesting product. I decided to go with low riser handlebars (Easton EC70) so the links will clear the top-tube. It goes nicely with the rest of the kit (EA70 stem and EC70 seatpost) and looks good in stealth black. My seating position is not yet in place, if I need to go back to lower position I will look at the top-tube protectors again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Got my new bars today. Some shots.

Before upgrade, with original flat SCOR alloy handlebars:

After upgrade, with Easton EC70 carbon handlebars:

Perfect, just as I calculated! Bars look really good with stealth black graphics, also saved 120gr and the carbon should have better vibration damping properties. Only downside is that the bars are 35mm shorter at 685mm. Easton Havens would have been better in this regard, but the EC70 had very attractive 50% discount on Wiggle. The look of the bike was more agressive with the original flat handlebars.

Also installed KCNC I-spec clamps, so I could move the triggers more inboard and rotate them away. Each much easier to reach the paddles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    CRANKSKINS has kits for frames and the guy on ebay that distributes crankskins sells scraps even .I think the have material from 4-22mils.

Cassoulet forever !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org