see me rollin, they hatin

probably getting a speedfox SF02 XT-SLX....

This is where you talk me out of it.

but you probably wont

i have an anthem right now. too steep and racy for me, but i love the weight. Also rode a trance and liked it so much more than the anthem. i was likely going to get a Trance, but i'm excited about the BMC too. i see that the BMC is a bit slacker in the head angle. anyone found it to be TOO slack? does it take tight corners well? my singletrack is very tight round here. i dont know how much 1 degree slacker would change the game.

Damn bike is beautiful, and supposedly pretty light (i'm seeing 26.3 lbs....yeah!)
    Last edited by NicoleB; 01-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    nicole, I have a speedfox, put XT on it and mine weighs 29#. It is not a light
    bike by any means-I think the frame weighs 6 lbs or so. Not an expert on
    handling comparisons but looks like a Turner or between Blur and Blur LT.
    I got it for the longer wheelbase of 44.25", I believe. My old bike was short
    and squirrelly On weight I could lighten up the wheels a little..

mtbr member
    I have a speedfox and use it for general trail riding- it handles well on technical singletrack/tight switchbacks and climbs really well. I also use it for long distance races and rides comfortably for multiple hours in the saddle. I've got mine setup with XO components and it probably weighs 25-26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Frame weight is 5.8 pounds frame, shock, hardware.

heh, that post was old. i got my speedfox about 3 weeks ago!

the weight was around 26.5 before i put slightly heavier pedals and tires.

then i got myself lighter wheels and i'd say its somewhere in the 26-27lb range right now. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nicole, yes I saw how old that was after I posted. Good that you got it-
    hope you like it. Wish I knew how everyone got theirs down to 26#. I
    would love to shave off 3 lbs. What wheels & tires?- tubeless?

Swiss Cycling Technology
    Jan 2012
    Just for reference, listed weights on mediums for 2012 are as follows:

SF01 frameset is 5.6lbs
    SF01 XO Complete is 24.5lbs

SF02 frameset is 6.0lbs
    SF02 SLX/XT Complete is 26.3lbs

Quote Originally Posted by s-mac View Post
    Nicole, yes I saw how old that was after I posted. Good that you got it-
    hope you like it. Wish I knew how everyone got theirs down to 26#. I
    would love to shave off 3 lbs. What wheels & tires?- tubeless?
    are you a big dude? my frame is an extra small, 2012. i have tubeless mountain king (black chili) tires, and crank bros cobalt wheels. the wheels are light (1500g); the tires, not so much.

i put a different handlbar, and trimmed them (dont see it making much of a difference in weight). The rest is the stock SLX/XT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have also been looking around to get an Speedfox. My main concerns are about bobbing and air pressure used on the shock. I donīt like bikes that tend to bob nor bikes that use 'high' pressures (overdamp) not to bob. (lets see Scott Spark, Merida 96...)
    Never tried one but anyway geometry seems very interesting. Step seatpost angle (74) combined with an slack head angle (68); the bike is not too long, the only thing which I find strange is the head tube length which seems a little bit to long.
    Sure you are going to notice that the bike 'wants' to go straight when tigh cornering, but on the other hand you are going to gain stability and confidence when going down. Thatīs exactly what happened to my Jamis Dakar xlt (with very similar geometry)

the head tube was actually shorter than my last "race" bike. that worried me at first, becuase my torso is short, and i didnt want to be leaning over. but my bar has decent rise, so it all evens out. i'd say it feels between and Anthem and a Trance (if you've ever ridden those Giant bikes).
    Somewhat racy in performance, but with slacker angles i guess.

mtbr member
    Can you give a review of the Speedfox now that you've had it for a while?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chico2000 View Post
    Can you give a review of the Speedfox now that you've had it for a while?
    Thanks.
    Sure, have you ever ridden Giant rear suspension? i'ts similar. I was down to a Trance and BMC when i was choosing. I ended up with the BMC because the Trance at the time, was out of stock and i was excited to ride a bike that nobody else in the region had. basically, i was helping out my LBS who decided to take on BMC even though they were pretty unheard of for mountain biking.

Keep in mind, i prefer 140mm of travel because i was coming from a Stumpjumper. Since i felt a little bit "low" on the front end (BMC has a shortish top tube, and since it only had 120mm of travel, my body position was a bit leaning. Then again, i have a super short torso). i ended up getting a 140 fork anyway, and stacking up the front end a bit. Of course, that made the bike slacker, which i liked for descents. i was told though, that making that "upgrade" had caused some geo changes and a bit of trail/wheel flop. Because at that point, i had taken a 68.5 degree head angle, and turned it into a 67.5 angle..., it was nearly AM geometry. This was an experienced rider who felt the "flop" on my bike, but i didnt notice it. The bike fits me very well and its comfy now, even though i compromised the angles a bit.

On the other hand, my bf also has the same bike. He did did the opposite from me...he wanted the angles STEEPER so he bought a angle-set adjuster to bring it up to 69.5 degrees (like his old Trance).

So in the end we both ended up changing our bikes significantly, not because it was a bad bike, but we just prefer different things. To me, it felt a little more "racy" than the Trance, a similar trail bike. Not because of the angles, but the suspension felt a bit "sharper" and not as pillowy. It felt a lot like a cross between the Anthem and Trance. Some may fine 68.5 a bit slack, but i prefer slacker angles and less twitchy handling.

the bike is also light and looks really cool. If you already know that a 120mm trail bike is what you're looking for, i cant imagine you being disappointed.

On the other hand, the Trail fox is sick!!!! there were times i looked at that bike, and wondered if I should have chosen that one. its a 28ish pound bike, which isnt bad, but when you pick it up and ride it, it feels lighter than that.
    fap

double post.
    fap

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Still new here and cant post a new thread yet...this thread is pretty close, so here we go! LOL

I have some general SpeedFox/TrailFox questions that hopefully someone can help me out with...First, Im 5'9" and about 220 with gear, anyone have recommendations for frame size? Im looking into the SF02, and TF02 but have never actually seen one in person. Found some good deals on complete bikes online, and even though I cant ride before I buy, its super tempting! I should also mention that this will be my first full sus bike. Like the OP, I like the idea of having something unique, but I am not sure which size would be best between medium and large.

Second question is, would the SF be a good candidate for light/medium duty AM riding for someone of my size, or should I look into the TF? I dont get crazy, no big jumps, just some light stuff and small 2-3' drops. Once I get myself back in shape and ready for battle, I will be in the 180-190# range, but I want to make sure the bike will be able to handle some abuse till I get there.

Swiss Cycling Technology
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    Still new here and cant post a new thread yet...this thread is pretty close, so here we go! LOL

I have some general SpeedFox/TrailFox questions that hopefully someone can help me out with...First, Im 5'9" and about 220 with gear, anyone have recommendations for frame size? Im looking into the SF02, and TF02 but have never actually seen one in person. Found some good deals on complete bikes online, and even though I cant ride before I buy, its super tempting! I should also mention that this will be my first full sus bike. Like the OP, I like the idea of having something unique, but I am not sure which size would be best between medium and large.

Second question is, would the SF be a good candidate for light/medium duty AM riding for someone of my size, or should I look into the TF? I dont get crazy, no big jumps, just some light stuff and small 2-3' drops. Once I get myself back in shape and ready for battle, I will be in the 180-190# range, but I want to make sure the bike will be able to handle some abuse till I get there.
    Hi Norcal.

Good questions. To be completely biased. I'm 100% in love with my TF. I rode the alloy version for the last season and just upgraded to the TF02 (carbon front / alloy rear). The bike is just about as light as the Speedfox, climbs like a mountain goat with the aid of propedal / ctd and can take a beating on technical trails and small drops....

That being said, the Speedfox is probably the most versatile 26" bike that we make. You could go as far as to race XC on it, or have an agressive trail day. It is what you make it.

This probably didn't help narrow anything down...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info Frame size is going to be a big factor, cuz I can get the TF02 SLX/XT in medium only, and the SF02 SLX/XT in medium or large, plus the SF is $700 cheaper! My current bike is a Felt Q520 17.5" that is a bit too small for me...I need to make sure this bike fits.

light AM? i'd say the trail fox. my speedfox felt somewhere between racy and aggressive XC. There is a 2 ish pound difference in the entire bike, (forgive me if thats wrong, but that's what i read) but the TF "felt" light. There were times i wondered if i should have gotten the TF. maybe because it was so damn sexy.
    fap

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What do you consider "aggressive XC"? Sounds a lot like "light AM" to me

Anyone know if there is a BMC sizing chart somewhere?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs and ride a small frame.

well i live in the northeast where there are lots of rocks and roots, but i dont do drops. maybe 2 feet tops. maybe even a bit less. It can handle chunk, just not hucking!
    fap

Swiss Cycling Technology
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    What do you consider "aggressive XC"? Sounds a lot like "light AM" to me

Anyone know if there is a BMC sizing chart somewhere?
    Here's how I reference all these different categories:

XC.......Trail......AM.......Freeride.......DH

So technically light AM and agressive XC are totally the same thing...Trail.

Scroll down on each and there will be a tab for geo. All the way to the right of the chart should be suggested rider height to give you a reference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    LMAO Sorry, I never clicked the Geo tab...shame on me!

mtbr member
    I rode a Trance X 29er 0 and Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 at a recent demo day, and I've ridden my dad's BMC SF01.

Giant's suspension is very similar to BMC, or vice versa if you prefer. BMC definitely makes bikes about 1/2 size larger than you would normally ride. I ride a Santa Cruz Blur, and SC makes bikes 1/2 size smaller than average. So my Blur XL is actually smaller than a Speedfox L. They both fit me very well at 6'0" with long arms.

The Speedfox handles very, very well. The bike feels very nimble and accelerates instantly out of corners. Speedgoat is running a sale right now on the SF02-- most sizes and colors are $1,699. There can't be a better sub-$2,000 FS bike to be had. I personally see no drawback to 26", having ridden a number of 29ers and I just don't "get" them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've got a 2011 SF02 with XT gears and SLX shifters coming tomorrow. And to say I'm excited is a massive understatement.

Got it at less than half the original list price.

I've ridden dirt jumpers up until now but wanted something that could handle some trails (mainly natural with no big drops etc) and not be too hard work on the flat and ascents.

slow and old
    I love my Trailfox, it is a 2011 SFO2 all stock with Crank Brothers Mallets. This has been a great bike for the trails around DFW, there is no problem with bob in the rear, I am considering a new fork. New wheels will be in order soon, the factory DT X-1900's are probably great for a lighter rider but I am 175 with gear. I have bent a couple spokes in the 6 months that I have owned it. I am leaning toward a set of Crank Brothers or Easton Havocs.
    The SLX/XT drivetrain has been nice but the cranks are a little lacking in stiffness. They are neither SLX or XT. I am considering a set of FSA Afterburners and possibly going to a 2x10 set-up, which would require a new rear derailleur as well as a new front shifter and possibly a new chain. With the total costs involved I may consider an entire drive train up grade possibly full XT or going to SRAM and running all XO. The bars are a bit wide for the narrow trails around here but I like the stance and feel. I believe that this bike could be taken down to about the 24lb mark, mine is a medium 17,5"
    The Avid Elixer 5's have been great for the trails I ride, if you are in the mountains I would consider something a bit stronger. The BMC house branded SCOR components have proven themselves to be quite well designed and up to any task, and I have put them to the test. This is my first time on a full suspension bike and my first time with clipless, the first month was a steep learning curve. Part of the that is due to my banzi let's see what happens riding still. Me and this bike have bounced off trees, cartwheeled down ravines and other such spills and the bike has always been able to be ridden away. This is also a testament to the quality of the paint work. This bike has minimal scratches especially for the beating it has taken. All in all I think BMC really nailed it with this set-up. I bought mine as a left over model in 2012 and was given what I consider to be a more than fair deal. My LBS sold me the bike, the CB Mallets, Shimano cf mountain shoes (also old stock) and some other odds and ends for 2k out the door and have been there for me with free adjustments, fittings and advice. The only problem I have had was with the left side upper pivot bearing. I got caught in a rain storm on a local trail which caked the bike in 15 or so pounds of mud an rocks. We were 6 miles into a 12+ mile ride when the rain started and had no choice but to ride it out. By the end I was stuck in one gear with rocks in the drivetrain. When I got home and cleaned to the bike I noticed that the upper left pivot bearing was gone. I took the bike in to my LBS and let them know what happened. When I returned to pick up the bike they had replaced the bearing with one they had on hand and since it did not match, the replacement was red as opposed to the factory silver they did not charge me. Further more the bike was far cleaner than when I had brought it in. They had also cleaned my brake pads and adjusted the system as well as the drive train and serviced the pedals which I did not expect. So all in all I could not be happier with my purchase or my LBS. Thank you BMC for building such a quality product and a huge thank you to Bicycles Plus in Flower Mound, Tx for their excellent customer service both before and after the sale.
    BMC if you see this, the only thing I would request is remote lockouts for the front and rear. I would love to see you guys build a 650b on this platform with adjustable suspension, say 120-150mm front and rear. That would quite possibly be the perfect bike.