Distributor

New question here. Picked up a BMC Fourstroke 03 yesterday. Good Size?

Ive read a lot of positive reviews and am hoping the 21" works for me. I am 6'3" at 195lbs with a 34" inseam.

BMC's road bikes are sized large, so large in fact that the 57 cm fits more along the lines of a 59. I did so much homework when building the SLT01, the only BMC's Ive ever seen in person are my own.

Regardless its a done deal now. I won a Cannondale Lefty Carbon with the Fox internals on eBay today but read that it wont work due to the bonded clamp, oh well. I'll return the Project 321 steer tube adapter for it I bought the other day as well. Should be fun when its done, given that I'm in Chicago, I'll have to travel to make proper use of it, but I'm just looking forward to getting it built up.

Was going to do Avid Juicy Ultimates, Mavic SLR Lefty wheels but still undecided between SRAM's X.O or the new XTR offerings?

Anyway, insight on sizing, (did I do good) and opinions on the group set would be greatly appreciated. Ive been out of the loop on the MTB side of things for a while, but thats what makes these forums worth while.

and of course, some pics.... Cheers

Last edited by carbonLORD; 06-09-2007 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the BMC mtb - sharp. I've admired your roadie over on the rbr site.

The Sram vs. Shimano will probably yield the same answers as a Campy vs Shimano debate. They each have their ergonomic differences, but both work to near perfection. I've been happy twist shifting for the past 13 years - so I run Sram, although many folk praise their triggers as well. Sorry to be of little help - enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I also have a Fourstroke 03 trail version in a 21". I'm 6'1" and weigh 225 and have mine built up moslty with Shimano. As far as fit goes, I think this bike fits better than any mountain bike I've aver owned. But for 21", I think it measures more like a 19 - 19.5" should measure. But for me it fits great! I run a 120mm stem and a 410mm Thomson seat post and a 140mm Fox Vanilla on the front. This is a great riding bike, but it doesn't climb like my old AS-R used to. But to the BMC's defense, it does have another 1"1/4 of travel over the AS-R. I have had a few issues with the reat shocks swing arm, but Todd at QBP has taken very good care of me and no questions asked, not that there's a need for questions. I think you will like the bike when you get it built. Find a good trail with a long, technical descent and let her rip...........you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

Distributor

Thanks for the feedback.

I was concerned it was going to be too large, but it seems like they run small, unlike BMC's road frames.

Going to put a 100 mm fork and full XTR with Mavic Crossmax ST's and see how I like it.

Thanks again for the feedback on size. I hope to hit any trail as soon as possible.

Cheers.