Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Err,

This is massively helpful. In particular the fact that you are able to compare two bikes which appear to be the best in the long travel 29er class.

I am after a frame alone so this would be a little build-up project. I looked on the BMC's website and my size would be a medium one (I am 173cm tall).

Thanks all for your comments. Keep those comming, either on forum or feel free to pm me.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Am 183cm, own a M one. Fits me nicely

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Err,
    Size question for you. Which size specialized did you ride? And which says TF did you go with? I'm thinking about picking up a TF (hopefully as part of the ambassador program) and the large enduro 29 that I have now slots in between the medium and large sizes that BMC offers. The medium shortens up the reach and wheelbase a bit, which might be nice, but the large would be similarly big and I could run an even shorter stem. I'm a bit conflicted.

FWIW, I'm 5'11".

mtbr member
    Can anyone on here confirm the frame weight?
    According to BMC, the TF01 frame is 2.49kg (incl. shock) - trailfox TF01 29 Frameset ? mountain ? BMC Switzerland

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Paid Spam: I'm selling my '14 Trailfox TF01 frame that's been updated with a '15 (no crank rub) rear triangle and new pivot hardware. It's fast, fun, light and in excellent, near-new condition. Available with the stock Fox Float X rear shock or a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair:

2014 BMC Trailfox TF01 - Large - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Feel free to PM me with questions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Paid Spam Update: I lowered the price on the frame to $2100 and am now also considering selling the whole XX1-equipped bike for $4850. Thanks.

Frame
    2014 BMC Trailfox TF01 - Large - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Bike
    2014 BMC Trailfox TF01 Trailcrew - Large - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    Attachment 958259Attachment 958260

Finally got my 36 on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you running that 36 at 150 or 160? I am thinking about doing the same thing to my TF03 but I am not sure if I can get away with a 160mm of travel. Fox claims the A2C height between the 34 150 and the 36 160 is only 5mm, so I don't think it will be a problem.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It is a 160 and haven't had any issues. It is a beast compared to the 34 that was stock. I would say go 160. You are right on the measurements. I called also and checked. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    +1 - I also use a 160mm Pike - and it's much better at 160 than at 150 (bought the Pike with 150mm - then travelled it to 160mm later). For long uphills (longer than 45min or so) I do reduce travel using a strap though... With 160mm this is more needed compared to 150mm before..

Just Joshin' ya!
    I received confirmation from BMC that going with a 160 is acceptable. Now I just need to convince the wife to let me spend the cash.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I received confirmation from BMC that going with a 160 is acceptable. Now I just need to convince the wife to let me spend the cash.
    You ever buy a 160?

Just Joshin' ya!
    Not yet. The 2015 Fox 36 sold out after Jenson USA had it for $684.00. The 2015 Pike is $799.00. I am waiting to see if it goes down further.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just checking. Not much of anything going on in this thread anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just bought a Trailfox 02 frame from the Path Tustin at an awesome price. I was going to build up a Transition Covert 29er with a Fox 36 rc2 and a Vivid Air, fortunately the owner of my LBS wanted to buy the Covert 29er.

The Trailfoxes that they had at the Path felt awesome. Nice top tube , good standover.

In comparison when friend put the Covert 29er together it was unusual bike, short top tube and high standover. To each their own I suppose.

However the folks at the Path told me there was a mod for the Trailfox where you run a 7.87x2 rear shock and use a shorter fork preferably 140. I was told that the mod drops the BB and it slackens the bike out.

Has anyone tried the mod and what are the advantages of running the Fox 36 in 150 versus 160 on the Trailfox?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Are you seriously thinking that the bottom bracket is too high on the Trailfox?
    You could get the Vorsprung Corset for the Float/Float X - that will lower the BB for at least 5mm because with it you will run more sag.

I'm really thinking about putting a longer stroke shock - the bottom bracket is simply 1cm too low for most of my riding. It's fine for Enduro racing - but for technical stuff and uphill I smash both the pedals and the 32T ring far too often into the ground.

And yeah - go for 160mm at the front. Feels much better going down that way. All the BMC trailcrew riders run a 160mm fork (at least at the Trans Savoie).

I am considering putting a 210x63.5 shock into my Trailfox. (Monarch Plus Debon Air Trek Slash edition). I know from one rider who did this and say it was a real improvement. Running a Pike 160 at the front with dual rate air chamber. (similar to what brings out soon for Mattoc and Dorado and call it IRT).

If you install a shock that is the same lengths - but shorter stroke - you do the opposite from slackening the bike. Same for shorter length fork. Effectively you will end up with a bit more reach - but less travel and steeper head angle. I'ld call that the opposite from slackening out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    New trailfox TF 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446674742.552262.jpgNew trailfox TF 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446674759.939470.jpg

Well been riding my x2 for couple weeks now. Best shock I have rode so far. Just thought I would share some pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hows that x2 climb without a climb switch on it Jaysrubi?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think it climbs just as good as the previous shocks I have had in the past. I look for fox to add it sooner or later. The shock Is super smooth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After several months I finally got around to building my Trailfox TF02 frame and can't believe how amazing this bike is. At first the build felt like a disaster with my 3x
    drivetrain shifting terribly at my lbs. However after taking the bike for a ride I was shocked to find that the drivetrain actually worked on the trails! It's amazing how well the TF can perform with a little speed. The big shocker for me was the bike's maneuverability. The last 29er that I owned was an Anthem X. With it's 90 mm stem and long chain stays it was anything but maneuverable. The Anthem felt looooonnnngggg in sharp turns and I was expecting more of the same from the TF , I was pleasantly surprised. To my utter surprise the Trailfox was far more maneuverable and flickable despite using a 160 mm Fox 36 fork. In fact the TF was able to carve better than my 26 carbon Jekyll 2! Although in all fairness to the Jekyll it came with an 80 mm stem versus the 50 mm stem on the TF. Having 740 versus 700 mm handlebars allows me to throw TF around much more easily than the Jekyll. Of course being a 29er the TF has awesome grip. In terms of pedaling performance my 100 mm dropper didn't give me enough leg room. However my friends were impressed by my pace on the new bike. Descents are an absolute joke on the TF , between the 29 inch wheels the vivid air and Fox 36 I can plow through ruts that would make life interesting on the Jekyll . With the proper build the Trailfox is an absolute monster of a bike.

mtbr member
    Hi, glad for you, but you should check TF manual, because I think its not compatible with 3x crankset and you could void warranty

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The triple works well enough, shifting is acceptable rather than excellent even with XTR shifters and derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What kind of shock hardware do I need for the trailfox?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi everyone. I own a Spec enduro 29 and I am thinking in swapping it for the Trailfox.
    Any input from someone who has owned both bikes?
    I am afraid, maybe I am moving backwards, because the shorter rear travel
    My type of riding is AM, Enduro but without racing or big jumps
    I guess the Trailfox goes uphill better than Spec, but my doubt is going downhill
    I am really happy with my E29, but it's time to change and I 'd like something new.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    MY2016 are equipped with 160 forks, I dont think 10 mm less rear travel will have such an impact, its the different suspension system that will. FSR vs virtual pivot of bmc frame. If I remember correctly, bmc's geo is more extreme than specialized, and even more in 2016 because of the 160mm new fork

mtbr member
    By the way, i ve just upgrated o/c damper to a fit one inside the my14 tf02 34 fox fork and the step forword is just h u g e!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New trailfox TF 29

You are right. The E29 has a 67,5 HA against 67 from de Trailfox. I told it,not only for the rear travel but it is an important point,I was referring at the whole concept of the bike

Blurry SnowMonster
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by imitsus01 View Post
    By the way, i ve just upgrated o/c damper to a fit one inside the my14 tf02 34 fox fork and the step forword is just h u g e!
    I wanted to do just that.. But in Switzerland, you need a mortgage to upgrade a Fox fork. I ended up changing it to a bargain 160 Pike RCT3 dual. Never have I made such an amazing upgrade to a bike.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics of the world! Untie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHades View Post
    I wanted to do just that.. But in Switzerland, you need a mortgage to upgrade a Fox fork. I ended up changing it to a bargain 160 Pike RCT3 dual. Never have I made such an amazing upgrade to a bike.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Good move... Really the o/c damper just doesnt work, I dont get it why they made that fork line. Its no good for their reputation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Pike is way better than the Fox 34. This isn't for Enduro. Only Fox 36 or DVO can beat the Pike.
    Moreover, you can upgrade it with an external kit and then you have external HSC and LSC

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    well, I typed up a whole bunch of comments and lost them. I've ridden the Enduro, WFO, and Trailfox extensively. I like the Trailfox the best when it has well tuned suspension on it. The old 34 was hit and miss, now with a Pike it's better, I'll be running a 34 on mine. Hoping PUSH is going to have a tune for the 11.6 soon or I may try an EXT Storia on the rear. It's a great bike that handles a variety of terrain with ease and is particularly good on long rides. Oh and I have a -1 deg headset in mine at the moment. It feels pretty good but not a ton of ride time on it yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for your comments @Err. As I said, without demoing the Trailfox, It seems a more "do it all" bike ( what I am looking for)and E29 is more DH oriented, frame is beefier, but It doesn't pedal bad on flat plus uphill
    How about is Trailfox jumping and drop offs?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The trailfox likes to get airborne quite nicely. I even roll through our DJ's on it from time to time and have no issues taking it of most any jump or drop that I encounter on my typical trails. It's balanced in the air and is not at all awkward when when the wheels leave the ground. I do generally like how 29'er fly though and jumping is more of a rider dependent skill than anything. The biggest difference between the Trailfox and the Enduro is you can kind of lean back and plow with the Enduro where the Trailfox is better for a more active style of riding but it's also easier to throw around. That said, you can setup the suspension to be pretty darn plush on the Trailfox if that's what you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Yeah! It is what I suspect. The enduro's rear suspension is quite stiff,especially when you land after a jump or big drop,you must run a 35% sag and the shock full of tokens,but then the bike is bobbing uphill and slow descending. I run a monarch plus debonair,surely with a CCDB things would be better . I only could go for a short ride with the Trailfox,but not in the forest,and the rear suspension,was sweeter on the Trailfox.
    Anyway,a couple of pics from the François Baylli Maitre's bike. They are in Chile to race the WES

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    oooh, first Trailfox I've seen with a DHX2 on it. Very interesting there. I have that shock on my V10 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    ah thats sweet to see a TF with a coil on it. ive been wondering about throwing a dhx2 or eleven6 on my 2016 TF03 but thought that the slight regressive end stroke might not play well . Good to see others are running it.
    Im super stoked on my TF, its the best bike ive been on yet . But that being said if i was on a good enduro 29 i dont think theres enough of a difference to make me go out and change bikes. If your enduro is punched out and needs to be replaced for sure check out a trail fox, the geo is a little more progressive , longer lower slacker, but the rear suspension is a little shorter and more efficient. no need for lockout switches (run mine full open all the time). Really great bike all around, very little i would change to make it "perfect"

My 2017 wishlist though :
    Lyrik or 36 up front (ive had creaky crowns and blown damper on my pike already. covered by warranty though)
    coil rear option (dhx or cc. not complaining about the inline, just would like to try a coil)
    5mm more rear travel (eh why not)
    boost 148 (stiffness is already fine, but more clearance is good for everyone)
    take 5mm off the chainstay and add it to the reach (so 430mm cs, 440 reach Medium)
    roll the seat tube up .5 -1.0 degrees to keep the ttl the same with the longer reach
    cut the seat tube 10mm shorter so i can run a 170 mm dropper
    slack it out .5-1.0 degree (maybe with an angleset because i dont actually know that it would be better)
    bb height , no change
    colour, carbon models look great, my alloy model looks like its made of lego...
    finally, give me a premium build kit on an alloy frame. ive moved from carbon to alloy, i dont want carbon. but i do want quality components, i want the tf02 kit on an alloy frame that isnt painted like its from tonka.

all that being said, those changes are really minor in the scheme of things. id buy this bike again if they dont change a thing. But BMC, if you listen to any of this, the paint and the low end build kit need the most attention!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New trailfox TF 29

I appreciate your words Emmerz. Enduro 29 is going really well,but I 'll have to sell it if I want to get some money,because it's two years old next summer and I like to try something new,but not much different. I thought in 650b wheels,but I guess 29ers have more pros than cons for my riding style and type of trails I ride . Trailfox is a bike I like a lot. I was considering Intense carbine 29 too, but it's quite similar to the enduro aesthetically with less rear travel.
    I think Trailfox is the one. I agree with you,I prefer an alloy frame plus well equipped . For me,it's mandatory 1-Good geometry 2-Good suspensions 3-Good wheels and the TF03 meets that conditions and the rest of the components are really decent . The only downside is the paint job,is really terrible!!
    About your wish list,I agree,Pike is a nice fork,but currently some steps back from Fox 36 or DVO. There is a solution,at least in my country. You can instal a kit for 200€ and then you have external adjustments of HSC and LSC. With that,Pike is in the same level
    Coil, I think is a bit a whim. CCDB or Inline,are very good shocks. Only coil is better if your descends are more than 10-15 minutes. And don't forget the increase in weight,about 500 grams.
    In my local forum,always are talking about the same. The "short" head angle of Enduro 29. I think E29 and Trailfox are quite similar. If you slack the HA,then you increase wheelbase and slack the seat tube.
    The main feature about a rig as E29, is its polyvalence,it goes up as well as it downhill
    Personally think, 67 degrees HA is a good number and more in a 29er.
    By the way,what is the issue with the low end?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I already have enough room to run a 170 mm dropper so no complaints there. I don't mind the stock HA at 67º since it's easily adjustable with Works Components headsets. I'm running a -1º now and have a -2º on the way to try. HA is one of those things that can be fairly personal, it's nice to have options.

There are a few components on the TF01 trailcrew build that I chose to swap out but that's always going to be the case.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Latest build coming along (craptastic iphone pic) -

Fox 36RC2 @ 160 mm
    Works Components -1º headset
    sixc cranks @ 175 mm, 30t chainring
    sixc bars @ 800 mm
    atlas stem @ 35 mm
    sniper glide-on grips
    Fizik Tundra M1

Tires happen to be Hans Dampf in the photo but I have piles of tires depending on conditions. I have Saint brakes on the way and currently shopping for carbon wheels. Still hoping Push will have an 11.6 tune for it soon. In the mean time, the CCDB-A Inline feels great and is a huge improvement over the Float-X tune on my 2014 TF01. Previously I've run the BMC chain guide with excellent results but may try a One-Up guide this time around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sweet looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    ah man thats a good looking bike.
    head angle is definitely personal and terrain dependent. right now the 67 works great for me (north vancouver), but now that snow is melting and i can hear whistler calling i want to try slacking out a little. thinking about making myself some offset bushings to give it a try. if they dont work out ill try the works headset.

heres mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trailfox TF 29-20151228_091617.jpg  

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Digging the orange and blue! Not running the BMC lower guide?

I get to spend quite a bit of time on the trails around Whistler in the summer. Playing with the HA a bit for some of the spicier lines. My local trails don't warrant anything slacker than 67° either but so far 66° isn't causing any problems. I was in your neck of the woods and took my trail bike down 5th horseman on cypress last summer. 65° felt steep on those lines!😅

Note that with offset bushings you'll lower the BB, slack the STA, and slack the HTA. With a works headset you'll lower the BB, steepen the STA, and slack the HTA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    no lower guide on this bike. i demo'd the tf01 for a few rides and it had one, but i found it was more annoying then anything. havent dropped a chain yet, but my rings are still new.

i like the angleset idea more, the bushings are more of a play project that i can make in my machinist program

and yeah, really i dont have much need for it to be slacker, i just always tend towards the slacker is better side of things. i ditched the dh bike this year, so the trail fox will be doing double duty . Realistically though i should just leave it as is, the bike is already on the long side for the usual uphill downhill routine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nice rigs men! How about CC inline? Is it causing troubles in the rough stuff? You know on enduro 29 it doesn't work properly
    Almost all in my area have been swapped for monarch plus debonair.
    It seems there's something wrong on frame design or so.
    However, CCDB works well.
    I remember reading something on CC website, telling Inline isn't a shock for Enduro stuff.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I only have 1 ride on the Inline. It involved a nice mix of smooth and rough climbing and some fast descending with medium sized jumps. I've ridden this shock on a few other bikes with mixed feelings. On some it was great, on others it was just ho-hum. One of the things about CCDB's is that it's easy to get them totally out of whack with their wide range of tuning. It could be that on some of those bikes the settings were just messed up. So far, it seems to suit the APS suspension design rather well. With the 2014 Float-X it was exceedingly difficult to strike a balance between efficient climbing and maintaining traction while descending. I blew a lot of time going up and down in 1-2 psi increments and fiddling with the compression and rebound settings before getting to something that works fairly well. First impressions of the Inline is that it will be more forgiving to setup and work better across a broader range of conditions.

In terms of durability, that has been an ongoing concern with the Inline. I'm hoping that the latest iterations are a little better in that regard. Right now I see myself going for a more aggressive shock for a lot of my riding and using the Inline more for trail and light AM style riding. More to follow as I get more time on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Trailfox

In the process of building up my trailfox. I plan on getting 780mm bars and I have a 2016 float x evol on the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trailfox TF 29-20160330_153547.jpg  

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Looking good, curious to hear your thoughts on the Float X Evol. Could be a solid option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yea I'll definitely update once I get my first ride in

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Nice rigs men! How about CC inline? Is it causing troubles in the rough stuff? You know on enduro 29 it doesn't work properly
    Almost all in my area have been swapped for monarch plus debonair.
    It seems there's something wrong on frame design or so.
    However, CCDB works well.
    I remember reading something on CC website, telling Inline isn't a shock for Enduro stuff.
    I might be totally wrong here but i think from what ive seen the problem with the cc inline was mostly due to the solid yoke on the enduro. i think they had that problem on the demo too. im not sure why that wasnt a problem with other shocks though. Also i would bet that the enduro was probably the largest number of bikes sold that came spec'd with an inline, so naturally it would have seen the most failures . There were also failures from what looked like poor assembly, but lets hope thats been resolved by now.

i was a little weary myself after reading failures but so far its been all good. My pike blew its damper and needed a replacement csu already, but the inline is still feeling great. I have another bike with a fox float x, and the inline is definitely a step up. But im not going to exagerate here and say that its game changing or worlds apart, its just another step above the fox. For the price though i dont see why more bikes wouldnt come with this shock, its not that hard to set up. I started at the baseline tune, made a few tweeks to get it to settle in where i like it, and havent had to touch it much. If i wasnt picky the baseline would have been fine, and will be fine for most people. I run my set up stiff up front : 3 tokens in the pike, 6 clicks compression and 75 psi , 6 clicks from open rebound (rider weight 160 geared) . In the rear i run the air pressure to the soft side, but keep the lsc high ish and set the hsc & hsr to absorb more. For me this set up works well because it keeps the suspension stiff and efficient while pedaling with good support for pumping , but then it opens up nicely when things get chunky. For big jumps and drops (to falt!) it uses the travel completely without an audible bottom out. Repeated big hits are well managed without packing down. My overall suspension set up keeps the front riding a little higher, and encourages me to keep my weight forward since im old school and tend to ride off the back of the bike :P
    The sweet thing with the inline is that i could totally flip my set up and run something completely different. With the fox you just set the spring rate and rebound and go. Its not bad , just simple. Ive found that on my other bike (and 2 rides on a tf01) that the float x does start to suffer in repeated hits, but really so do my legs and arms :P

Ive got about a dozen rides on the TF now, and lately started hitting some bigger lines. The bike really shreds, its really comfortable in the air, easy to ride on steeps, and so much fun to lay over in corners. I do find that if im feeling fat and slow it starts to loose some of its luster, but drop a gear and keep the momentum up even a little and its a really easy riding bike. I dont want to come across as a "justify my purchase" kind of poster here, just want to add some of my impressions of the bike as i found there was little info when i was shopping.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast