Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    LOVE the built bikes (sans seat for Jaysrubi in its presence state)! I'm oh so close to getting one but will live vicariously via this thread. The ride must be INCREDIBLE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    they look gorgeous, how do they fit size wise, or how tall are you for which frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

I am 6ft and a large fits be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    cheers, I really must not go near the local dealer when they come in.....

mtbr member
    Any long term feedback now that people have had these for a few month? Love it? Hate it? It looks like it has killer geometry but I'm having a hard time getting a demo and the reviews have been quite polarized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Check out this site to see if the demo is near you:
    BMC Ride Experience - BMC Ride Experience

mtbr member
    here is mine...

New trailfox TF 29-485238trailfox29.jpg

New trailfox TF 29-421293trailfox29b.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    are you guys getting heel rub on the chain stays?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    are you guys getting heel rub on the chain stays?
    I am not and running flats.

dog lover-not in that way
    I've put about 2k miles on my trailfox and it's without a doubt the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I haven't had heel rub but I've noticed a bit of crank arm rub on the chain stays. You can see it in the picture below. I'm using the 175mm XX1 cranks with the 168 (wide) Q factor.

New trailfox TF 29-wilson-lake.jpg

I don't notice any "play" in the rear end, and the pivots are smooth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Quote Originally Posted by 417markg View Post
    I've put about 2k miles on my trailfox and it's without a doubt the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I haven't had heel rub but I've noticed a bit of crank arm rub on the chain stays. You can see it in the picture below. I'm using the 175mm XX1 cranks with the 168 (wide) Q factor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilson Lake.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	931161

I had Chainstay rub during the first several months when I bought my trailfox. My bike shop finally adjusted the rear triangle and it has not rubbed one time since and that is a lot of miles since he done his magic. Just a heads up to check the adjust on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Double post sorry

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Nice bike my the way.

mtbr member

Nice to hear that. I've had my eye on this thread, waiting for more rider reports/reviews, but Trailfox owners must be a reticent bunch who've been too busy riding during the past 7 months to write anything here ;^) Only 3 owners have posted pics of their new bikes (4 if you include 20.100 FR's pic of a "friend's" bike), but no one has posted any details from the trenches.

In a nutshell, I've exchanged a few flirty texts but I'm not gettin any love from this little Euro minx, so for those of you who've been gettin it regularly all summer long, spill the beans already--I wanna live vicariously through all your sordid details dammit! The bike mags have had their way with the svelte carbon TF01, but she seems a little high maintenance; I ain't sayin she's a gold digger, but she ain't messin with no broke guy. So what about her bigboned cousin, TF03--she's all about dat bass, right? Anyone got the lowdown on her? Anyone?

Pics too, or it never happened either ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    I had Chainstay rub during the first several months when I bought my trailfox. My bike shop finally adjusted the rear triangle and it has not rubbed one time since and that is a lot of miles since he done his magic. Just a heads up to check the adjust on the rear.

what exactly did they do to "adjust" the rear triangle?

I can't imagine there's anything to really adjust other than tightening loose pivot bolts??

also, to the guy that rides flats and hasn't had any heel rub, what size shoes are you guys wearing?

btw,

ditch that POS fox shock!! even the reviews mentioned problems withe float x shock, and that shock is miles better than that XC-oriented shock you've got on there.

is anyone else scratching their heads at BMC offering the new Pike AND the outstanding cane creek DB air CS on the X01 model w/ the alum triangle??!?

why put the top end suspension on your mid level bike, and force everyone to stick with the shitty fox stuff!?!

The xx1 bike should come fully spec'd with rockshox, while the xtr version should come with the new fox 36...which ALL their enduro riders are on, anyway.

I REALLY want to like this bike, but I can't help feeling like they pushed the tolerances way too tight in an effort to keep engineer their way around the limitations of a long-travel 29er....

chainstay rub on a $4,000 frame is simply unacceptable.

I have a feeling that they're going to fix this by making a 27.5 version for 2016, as there's really no way to resolve the issue without completely redesigning the rear triangle and accepting more comprises into the design.

Anyone care to speculate how it could be fixed, aside from lengthening the chainstays so that they're narrower where the crank arm/pedal extends to ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Well I have ditched the float x for the DB Air CS and it is better. Still trying to get used to it and have only two rides on it so far.
    As far as Chainstay rub mine has none after my bike shop guy adjusted it. And that has been many miles ago since then. I am 100% yours can be fixed with some adjustment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    what exactly did your shop "adjust" on the rear triangle?

also, which size pike did you end up going with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

PM sent and I just changed out the rear shock for now with the DB air cs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

what at size Pike did you go with?

mtbr member
    ...I REALLY want to like this bike, but I can't help feeling like they pushed the tolerances way too tight in an effort to keep engineer their way around the limitations of a long-travel 29er....

chainstay rub on a $4,000 frame is simply unacceptable.

I have a feeling that they're going to fix this by making a 27.5 version for 2016, as there's really no way to resolve the issue without completely redesigning the rear triangle and accepting more comprises into the design.

Anyone care to speculate how it could be fixed, aside from lengthening the chainstays so that they're narrower where the crank arm/pedal extends to ??
    keeping 29er chainstays as short as possible while also providing the space necessary for suspension linkages is probably an engineering nightmare. eccentric linkages like those used by ibis for their ripley may be one way to squeeze more clearance for the virtual pivot/mini-link design.

New trailfox TF 29-image.jpg

back in the day, balfa used steel for the swingarms on their virtual pivot/mini-link 2Step/2Step DH frames, and claimed increased clearance was one benefit since the steel members had considerably smaller diameters/cross sections than comparable aluminum members. xprezo cycles (founded by former balfa guys) still builds full squish bikes w alloy mainframes and steel swingarms that appear spindly but are probably way stronger than they look. i'm not suggesting BMC weld steel swingarms for their trailfox or speedfox 29ers, but just using that as an example that material choice can also improve clearance.

it probably won't happen anytime soon, but as carbon fiber construction techniques progress, swingarms and suspension linkages could slim down to provide more clearance and better tolerances. for the immediate future, i think you're right--moving to a smaller wheel standard like 27.5" may be the easiest solution to keep chainstays short while improving clearance.

what at size Pike did you go with?
    150 solo air. As others have said, I'm not really impressed with the float shock but I'm getting the monarch plus instead of the cane creek. With all the adjustability of the CC I'm not sure I'd ever get it right and I've heard good things about the monarch with the debonair can.

The pike is really smooth. I've got it in "open" mode 95% of the time and it feels perfect. I stay seated while climbing so I don't notice any bob and it doesn't dive under hard breaking.

The crank rub isn't a deal breaker for me. It's rubbed the clear coat off the chain stay but it's not a hard impact because I can't ever tell when it's happening. I'm about to replace the rear pivot bearings so I'll see if there's a way to make any adjustments when I have it apart.

I've gotten my first ride in with the new shock; a RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 with Debonair. It's an M/M tune with 30% sag and rebound in the middle. On a pretty rocky trail system I kept it in the open setting and it was wonderful. I could definitely feel an improvement over the stock Float. I'm looking forward to getting it on some burlier stuff.

New trailfox TF 29-monarch-plus-rc3-debonair.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Built my own and I did changed Float with Float X with remote, did try DB Air CS but did not like it. Fork is Pike 160DA, love DA. Had few days Specialized Enduro but TF01 felt better for me, hard to explain why. I am Is 6'5 and Enduro felt like truck.
    No chainstay rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

My TF01 custom build

New trailfox TF 29-imag0063.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	937777

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

How come you didn't like the double barrel?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast