Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    LOVE the built bikes (sans seat for Jaysrubi in its presence state)! I'm oh so close to getting one but will live vicariously via this thread. The ride must be INCREDIBLE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    they look gorgeous, how do they fit size wise, or how tall are you for which frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

I am 6ft and a large fits be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    cheers, I really must not go near the local dealer when they come in.....

mtbr member
    Any long term feedback now that people have had these for a few month? Love it? Hate it? It looks like it has killer geometry but I'm having a hard time getting a demo and the reviews have been quite polarized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Check out this site to see if the demo is near you:
    BMC Ride Experience - BMC Ride Experience

mtbr member
    here is mine...

New trailfox TF 29-485238trailfox29.jpg

New trailfox TF 29-421293trailfox29b.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    are you guys getting heel rub on the chain stays?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    are you guys getting heel rub on the chain stays?
    I am not and running flats.

dog lover-not in that way
    I've put about 2k miles on my trailfox and it's without a doubt the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I haven't had heel rub but I've noticed a bit of crank arm rub on the chain stays. You can see it in the picture below. I'm using the 175mm XX1 cranks with the 168 (wide) Q factor.

New trailfox TF 29-wilson-lake.jpg

I don't notice any "play" in the rear end, and the pivots are smooth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Quote Originally Posted by 417markg View Post
    I've put about 2k miles on my trailfox and it's without a doubt the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I haven't had heel rub but I've noticed a bit of crank arm rub on the chain stays. You can see it in the picture below. I'm using the 175mm XX1 cranks with the 168 (wide) Q factor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilson Lake.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	931161

I had Chainstay rub during the first several months when I bought my trailfox. My bike shop finally adjusted the rear triangle and it has not rubbed one time since and that is a lot of miles since he done his magic. Just a heads up to check the adjust on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Double post sorry

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Nice bike my the way.

mtbr member

Nice to hear that. I've had my eye on this thread, waiting for more rider reports/reviews, but Trailfox owners must be a reticent bunch who've been too busy riding during the past 7 months to write anything here ;^) Only 3 owners have posted pics of their new bikes (4 if you include 20.100 FR's pic of a "friend's" bike), but no one has posted any details from the trenches.

In a nutshell, I've exchanged a few flirty texts but I'm not gettin any love from this little Euro minx, so for those of you who've been gettin it regularly all summer long, spill the beans already--I wanna live vicariously through all your sordid details dammit! The bike mags have had their way with the svelte carbon TF01, but she seems a little high maintenance; I ain't sayin she's a gold digger, but she ain't messin with no broke guy. So what about her bigboned cousin, TF03--she's all about dat bass, right? Anyone got the lowdown on her? Anyone?

Pics too, or it never happened either ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    I had Chainstay rub during the first several months when I bought my trailfox. My bike shop finally adjusted the rear triangle and it has not rubbed one time since and that is a lot of miles since he done his magic. Just a heads up to check the adjust on the rear.

what exactly did they do to "adjust" the rear triangle?

I can't imagine there's anything to really adjust other than tightening loose pivot bolts??

also, to the guy that rides flats and hasn't had any heel rub, what size shoes are you guys wearing?

btw,

ditch that POS fox shock!! even the reviews mentioned problems withe float x shock, and that shock is miles better than that XC-oriented shock you've got on there.

is anyone else scratching their heads at BMC offering the new Pike AND the outstanding cane creek DB air CS on the X01 model w/ the alum triangle??!?

why put the top end suspension on your mid level bike, and force everyone to stick with the shitty fox stuff!?!

The xx1 bike should come fully spec'd with rockshox, while the xtr version should come with the new fox 36...which ALL their enduro riders are on, anyway.

I REALLY want to like this bike, but I can't help feeling like they pushed the tolerances way too tight in an effort to keep engineer their way around the limitations of a long-travel 29er....

chainstay rub on a $4,000 frame is simply unacceptable.

I have a feeling that they're going to fix this by making a 27.5 version for 2016, as there's really no way to resolve the issue without completely redesigning the rear triangle and accepting more comprises into the design.

Anyone care to speculate how it could be fixed, aside from lengthening the chainstays so that they're narrower where the crank arm/pedal extends to ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

Well I have ditched the float x for the DB Air CS and it is better. Still trying to get used to it and have only two rides on it so far.
    As far as Chainstay rub mine has none after my bike shop guy adjusted it. And that has been many miles ago since then. I am 100% yours can be fixed with some adjustment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    what exactly did your shop "adjust" on the rear triangle?

also, which size pike did you end up going with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

PM sent and I just changed out the rear shock for now with the DB air cs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

what at size Pike did you go with?

mtbr member
    ...I REALLY want to like this bike, but I can't help feeling like they pushed the tolerances way too tight in an effort to keep engineer their way around the limitations of a long-travel 29er....

chainstay rub on a $4,000 frame is simply unacceptable.

I have a feeling that they're going to fix this by making a 27.5 version for 2016, as there's really no way to resolve the issue without completely redesigning the rear triangle and accepting more comprises into the design.

Anyone care to speculate how it could be fixed, aside from lengthening the chainstays so that they're narrower where the crank arm/pedal extends to ??
    keeping 29er chainstays as short as possible while also providing the space necessary for suspension linkages is probably an engineering nightmare. eccentric linkages like those used by ibis for their ripley may be one way to squeeze more clearance for the virtual pivot/mini-link design.

New trailfox TF 29-image.jpg

back in the day, balfa used steel for the swingarms on their virtual pivot/mini-link 2Step/2Step DH frames, and claimed increased clearance was one benefit since the steel members had considerably smaller diameters/cross sections than comparable aluminum members. xprezo cycles (founded by former balfa guys) still builds full squish bikes w alloy mainframes and steel swingarms that appear spindly but are probably way stronger than they look. i'm not suggesting BMC weld steel swingarms for their trailfox or speedfox 29ers, but just using that as an example that material choice can also improve clearance.

it probably won't happen anytime soon, but as carbon fiber construction techniques progress, swingarms and suspension linkages could slim down to provide more clearance and better tolerances. for the immediate future, i think you're right--moving to a smaller wheel standard like 27.5" may be the easiest solution to keep chainstays short while improving clearance.

what at size Pike did you go with?
    150 solo air. As others have said, I'm not really impressed with the float shock but I'm getting the monarch plus instead of the cane creek. With all the adjustability of the CC I'm not sure I'd ever get it right and I've heard good things about the monarch with the debonair can.

The pike is really smooth. I've got it in "open" mode 95% of the time and it feels perfect. I stay seated while climbing so I don't notice any bob and it doesn't dive under hard breaking.

The crank rub isn't a deal breaker for me. It's rubbed the clear coat off the chain stay but it's not a hard impact because I can't ever tell when it's happening. I'm about to replace the rear pivot bearings so I'll see if there's a way to make any adjustments when I have it apart.

I've gotten my first ride in with the new shock; a RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 with Debonair. It's an M/M tune with 30% sag and rebound in the middle. On a pretty rocky trail system I kept it in the open setting and it was wonderful. I could definitely feel an improvement over the stock Float. I'm looking forward to getting it on some burlier stuff.

New trailfox TF 29-monarch-plus-rc3-debonair.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Built my own and I did changed Float with Float X with remote, did try DB Air CS but did not like it. Fork is Pike 160DA, love DA. Had few days Specialized Enduro but TF01 felt better for me, hard to explain why. I am Is 6'5 and Enduro felt like truck.
    No chainstay rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

My TF01 custom build

New trailfox TF 29-imag0063.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	937777

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

How come you didn't like the double barrel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I did play with preasure and settings but could use only limited travel or it was too soft. With Float X with the default setting I do get much more travel and it is not too soft. Float X is much more active and this matches the behavior of Pike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I also think the Float X matches the Pike quite alright. Would love to know the difference vs the DebonAir however nonetheless... Well hope I can get a leg on a TF02-X01 next year sometime.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've gotten my first ride in with the new shock; a RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 with Debonair. It's an M/M tune with 30% sag and rebound in the middle. On a pretty rocky trail system I kept it in the open setting and it was wonderful. I could definitely feel an improvement over the stock Float. I'm looking forward to getting it on some burlier stuff.

Name:	Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	937548
    Now that you've had more time to ride your Trailfox with the RS Monarch Plus RC3, how do you like it? I'm seriously considering this shock or a DB Air (or DBInline) and would love any additional feedback you could provide, especially for more aggressive riding. I've found it tough getting the Float X to work the way I'd like - to keep it from blowing through all its travel, it has to be set up fairly firm (lots of rear-wheel deflection, less rear traction) or softer, which uses up all its travel, even on less aggressive rides. I swapped to a non-Debonair Monarch Plus on my previous Tallboy LT and liked how it performed, so I'm wondering what your experience has been with the new model on a Trailfox. Thanks for your insights.

With the Monarch Plus the M/M tune is too stiff for the Trailfox's VPP suspension. No matter how hard I've tried, with 30% sag, I haven't been able to use the entire range of travel. Small bumps feel great but I'm going to have to send the shock off for a low compression tune.

I hope these pictures aren't too big.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the feedback on your Monarch Plus. My TF01 is set up similarly (Pike, XX1, ENVE, etc.), so it's interesting to hear your experience with it. I'd really like something different than the Float X, so I may also look into the Cane Creek DBAir CS, especially since it's now spec'ed on the 2015 Trailfox TF02 and has its own a CC base tune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ended up pulling the trigger on a Monarch Plus Debonair (M/M tune) and have so far been very pleased with how it works, especially with my 150mm Pike. When compared to the stock Float X, the rear end feels noticeably more supple on the small stuff, better supported in the mid-stroke and still capable on the bigger hits. I rode it on a local PNW enduro training loop (fire road climb, rolling singletrack peppered with occasional roots and rocks, steeper technical descent with roots, rocks and a couple drops) and appreciated the improved composure everywhere. I'm hoping to take it out on some genuine DH trails this week and will report back if my initial opinion changes in any way.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    How much do you weigh? Considering trying a Monarch debonair M/M as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I weigh just under 200lb. fully geared up.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Nice, how much sag you running and which compression lever position? Getting full travel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm running 30% sag with 230psi in the can. As stated elsewhere in this thread, the Debonair requires higher pressures, which I've also seen mentioned in other reviews - it certainly doesn't seem to mind. For most riding (on this bike and another that had a Monarch Plus) I leave the compression lever fully open. The only time I flipped it into the middle position the other day was for the fire road climb. I can't imagine using the full firm position for anything but the smoothest climbs or on the road. That's pretty much the criteria I use for my Pike too.

As for travel, on a fairly aggressive section of trail (high speed, roots, rock drops, g-outs) where I typically use nearly all of my Pike's travel (sag also set at 30%), I used all but 5mm or so of shock travel. My next ride will be on a faster, steeper, choppier DH trail, so we'll see if it uses that last bit. If bottoming's an issue, I'll pop a hair more air in it.

YMMV, but overall, and based on just one shakedown ride, I'm happy with the shock, the tune and the general performance improvement vs. the Float X.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quick update: I rode my Debonair-equipped Trailfox on some decidedly more aggressive DH terrain today and am pleased to report that I'm even more impressed with the improved traction, control and general composure that the new shock delivers. Of course it's no secret that the Pike and Monarch Plus Debonair work extremely well together, but it's reassuring to know that it applies to the Trailfox as well. Didn't need to tweak the air pressure either. All good.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Rad, I think I'm about to order a 150 mm Pike and probably a Monarch+ Debonair.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New trailfox TF 29

New trailfox TF 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422144373.796561.jpgNew trailfox TF 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422144389.109072.jpg

Finally got my 36 on!!!

mtbr member
    Brroooooaapp

New trailfox TF 29-image.jpg

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Update. I've been digging on the Fox just fine for more rough AM side of things but was wanting a firmer feel for trail riding. Adding a bunch of pressure to the Fox made it more efficient but harsh and I couldn't find a rebound setting that I liked. So, I picked up a Monarch RT3 Debonair. Just back from a week in Moab. As expected the Monarch doesn't have the deep, compliant feel of the Fox damper but pedaling performance is up hugely. The medium/medium tune I have is very firm but very good on the compression side although I'm having to run the rebound circuit almost all the way open. I think a M comp / L rebound would be a little better at my weight but I'm close enough that I doubt I'll shell out for a re-tune. FWIW, I'm around 165 lbs ready to ride and expert/pro level rider with aggro tendencies. Based on how the RT3 feels, I really want to try a Monarch Plus but I really only need so many shocks. That and I have a Nomad 275 for the days that are more AM/DH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What size is everyone riding on this bike. I'm 5'7", looking at the geo numbers a medium would be a good fit? I haven't ridden one, but i did notice I'm just a little under what BMC recommends for a medium. I ride a medium supefly 100, medium pivot les. Going off there geo numbers I should have about the same reach on the BMC with a 50mm stem.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm 5'8" and on a small. I run 780 bars and a 35 mm stem, saddle is about centered on the rails. This yeilds a nice semi-upright, aggressive trail / all mountain pedaling position for my slightly long torso. I've run a 50 mm stem and 780's, that's a bit more stretched out. The reach is long on this bike so I don't have issues whacking my knees on the bars/shifters while standing. The medium is a fairly big bike for someone 5'7".

FWIW, I normally ride mediums and I'm on a Med Nomad 275.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank for the reply Err, still up in the air on the sizing. Can you do my a favor and measure center of the saddle to center of the bars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Last edited by bipolarbear; 05-29-2015 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member

Few questions to BMC TF01 riders

Hi there,

I have gone through this entire thread and I am impressed with the feedback so far.

I have few questions, though:

• Has anyone on here ridden S-Works 29er and is able to give me long term user feedback, not the usual internet review?

• It has been suggested (i.e. suspension software used to establish this) that due to the suspension design and layout the actual rear wheel travel is 140mm, and not the 150mm advertised by BMC. Is anyone here able to verify this?

• Apparently the new rear triangle fixes the crankset rub issue. Can anyone verify this?

Many thanks. I would be grateful for any input and comments.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by tatankainlondon View Post
    Hi there,

I have gone through this entire thread and I am impressed with the feedback so far.

I have few questions, though:

• Has anyone on here ridden S-Works 29er and is able to give me long term user feedback, not the usual internet review?

• It has been suggested (i.e. suspension software used to establish this) that due to the suspension design and layout the actual rear wheel travel is 140mm, and not the 150mm advertised by BMC. Is anyone here able to verify this?

• Apparently the new rear triangle fixes the crankset rub issue. Can anyone verify this?

Many thanks. I would be grateful for any input and comments.
    I don't see any reason you couldn't run an angled headset if you wanted to make adjustments. The cups are not integrated, so you're good to go.

I've ridden the S-Works 29er Enduro nearly back-to-back with the Trailfox. I liked the shorter CS on the Specy but it gave up a bit on pedaling performance and at 5'8", I found the stack height to be too much. The Trailfox has a bit more all-around feel in that it's right at home on huge days of climbing and really handles rough AM and light DH but starts to feel a touch out of it's element in real DH terrain. The Specy feels like a chore on long climbs, is equally at home on the AM terrain, and feels a little more beefy in the real DH.

Not sure on the suspension travel thing, have seen the debates...

Not sure, I have a '14 and solved the rub with a couple of cheap BB30 spacers, no biggie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't have anything to add on the headset, Specialized or suspension travel questions, but I can confirm that the swingarm rub issue has been resolved with the '15 model. It's basically identical to the '14, but with a very slight indentation to provide added clearance.

mtbr member
    Many thanks guys. This is very helpful. I need to start looking for a second-hand TF01 frame as the brand new prices are completely out of my reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    ... The Specy feels like a chore on long climbs, is equally at home on the AM terrain, and feels a little more beefy in the real DH...
    Err, would you mind elaborating on this one a little bit more?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by tatankainlondon View Post

Err, would you mind elaborating on this one a little bit more?
    I think it has a bit to do with the stack height on the Specy and a little bit to to with the pedaling characteristics of its suspension design and also a bit to do with the CS length. The super-tall stack seems to work against the steep seat tube and lends to a vague, floppy front end feel despite not being all that slack. I felt like stack dictated a body position that made both steep and moderately steep climbs, even if not overly technical, feel like more work than the needed to be. This seemed to be compounded by the short rear (for the record, I LOVE short CS!!!) creating a tendency to get some front wheel lift. The Specy had a CCDB-A CS on it and I know that shock very well and took time to set it up. I actually think they did a bang-up job specing that shock and tuning the pedaling characteristics, my gripe is really positioning oriented. On the DH, none of this stuff mattered, the short CS and tall front end equaled confidence and speed through quick turns. I really liked the Specy any time it was pointed down, such a fun bike. Everything else about the Med seemed to fit pretty well, including TTL, reach, ST, etc. I tend to believe if they simply shortened the stack height across the board that it would work much better on the types of trails that most folks ride most of the time.

The BMC has its drawbacks too, it has a very sporty (firm) feel and the stock Fox 34 is absolutely awful compared to what's now available. It can be a handful in really rough terrain if not ridden very aggressively. Can't get lazy on it... The body position on the BMC is just so damn perfect, maybe I wouldn't have been frustrated with the Specy if not having ridden the BMC. The Float-X can be tricky to get set just right to ride high enough in its travel to get the most out of climbing while still getting good traction. I've been playing with a Monarch RT3 Debonair lately on mine, it's makes hitting this balance a little easier. I really want to try a CCDB-A or a Monarch Plus, we'll see... Point is, BMC takes some careful setup to get the most out of it. Lots of 1 and 2 psi tweaks and damping adjustments.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast