mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Interested in hearing your thoughts. 2011 BMC Speedfox SF01 frameset

I recently came across this frameset in great condition minus the seat post. I picked it up for a price that was to good to pass on.

I have been out of the biking scene for some time and previously road BMX. So this bike is a big jump back in for me.

I have talked to a couple of the LBS here in town on building it out. Of course they priced it with their markup and shot me around $2500 out the door. They are talking Fox Forks, X.7 Groupo and similar quality items for the remainder of the buildout.

My thoughts should I go this route and build it out knowing I will never get anywhere out of it close to what I would put into it. Or should I sell it and go buy a complete bike?

I am in Kansas so a full suspension bike is not needed with maybe the exception of Camp Horizon which is not far away.

Would be open to hearing your thoughts or any suggestions on how you might proceed if you were in my shoes and didn't have a bench full of spare parts to throw on the bike.

A link to the frameset. Let me tell you this thing is beautiful.

Speedfox SF01 Frameset - Mountainbike – BMC swiss cycling technology

Thanks for your time and your response.

Everything-rider
    If you have the skills to build it up by yourself, research online for components and prices. It really is a matter of how much you want to spend and how light it should be. If you want a very light bike with top notch components, prepare to spend, if the "budget items" are more your kind of language, go full aluminium on the cockpit, RockShox Reba RL and X7 or SLX. Keep in mind you can find good wheel-sets for rather cheap, if you look in the right areas. Also: Euro Bike is coming up, so the deals will soon be anywhere on the web. Last year's components will do a brilliant job (as just a few days ago it was this year's stuff).

mtbr member
    The SF01 is a very capable frame. My dad rides a 2011 SF01 complete bike that he bought from Speedgoat about a year ago for $2300-- full XT drivetrain and brakes, Fox RL fork, etc. (And then Speedgoat went out of business in the Spring of 2013, how surprising...)

Sounds like you might be in Wichita. That's where I call home. If your quote is for parts and labor only I hope that's from BXC because I don't think I would trust any of the others to get it done, right, in a reasonable time. But $2,500, phew. That's a lot.

You don't need a full suspension bike anywhere, technically, but I would highly recommend it on any trail I've been on outside of Miller's Meadow. Camp Horizon and Wilson Lake are pretty amazing.

If you shopped around carefully you can build up the bike for $1500 or less. I am very sure of this because I just built a Santa Cruz Juliana for my wife and spent about that for a bike that ended up 27 pounds on the nose. It's a 3x9 drivetrain with X0 twist shifters, X9 FD, X7 RD, Mavic Crossmax SL wheels, Manitou Marvel Pro fork, XT brakes.

If you don't have a stand, tools or expertise, building it yourself will take some time and money to get the tools. I have BXC install a headset, cut brake hose, and bleed the brakes because I don't have the tools for that and I'd have to build another six bikes to make it worth getting the tools instead of paying them to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I transferred some parts from my old bike but found it really fun and
    rewarding picking up components from the internet and local bike sales-
    but I live near Boulder with lots of outlets to choose from. You have to
    do the research also but that was fun in itself.