mtbr member
    Feb 2010

FS 01 pivot maintenance - advice needed

Looking for someone who has taken the pivots apart. Getting some squeak and need to do some maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    usually creaking is the result of loose pivots moving side to side. how old is your bike?

mtbr member
    I have the same problem on my 2 month old fs 01 and I've had the same problem on my speedfox. I re-torqued all the pivot points (none were lose) and the suspension is still squeaking pretty bad.... Looks like I'll be pulling the pivots apart this weekend to grease everything up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    you aren't torquing it correctly it it's still creaking.

You need to get a smaller allen wrench and hold the other side of the bearing bolt so you can really tighten it down. you also need to take off the shock to get at the other side of the bearing.

If your bearing bolts rotate when you put a single wrench on it, then it's not tight enough.

mtbr member
    It's still creaking... and I basically did as you said. I've done pivot maintenance before. All my bolts were reasonably tight, but I pulled the bolts to make sure they had locktite on them and then torqued them (using a torque wrench) to the recommended Newtons. I've had the same issue with my speedfox that I rode for 2 years and I have had to pull the pivots apart before... it's kind of a pain so I figured I'd try this first. On my speedfox replacing the shock bearing with the new plastic enduro (I think) bearing seemed to eliminate a lot of issues. My fourstroke came with those bearings so I don't think it's coming from the shock. For now I'm just going to turn up the music and try again this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I didn't exactly follow torque specs. I just tightened till snug, and then a tiny bit more.

I think the torque spec will allow the bolts to turn without much effort. it's definitely erring on the side of caution.

try cranking em down harder. worked for me, and no problems for the past 400 miles.

are you sure it's not your fork/crown/stanchions area that's clicking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    After torquing to the specs and still having the creak, I retightened the pivot points past the recommended levels. On the stand some noise seemed to be coming from the bottom rear pivot which also happens to be the pivot bolt I've previously had loosen and bend on my speedfox. After I put the shock back on I noticed a bit of play in the suspension coming from the top rear suspension bushing which I replaced today. It was fairly worn, especially considering I've only ridden it for 2 months, although I ride almost everyday. Hopefully that will do it. The front end seems quiet and the headset is tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is there some kind of guide or tutorial for BMC Fourstroke pivot maintenance? I did not find anything on BMC site.

mtbr member
    FS 01 pivot maintenance - advice needed-img_0741.jpg

My pivots loosened up on my ride (after having tightened them up 2-3 weeks ago while replacing my bottom bracket). That's what the bottom rear pivot looked like. I emailed BMC to see if I could get a replacement kit and also asked if they had suspension instructions/maintenance recommendations. I'll post up if I hear from them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    any update now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I also wrote to them (info@bmc-switzerland.com) and asked about some instructions. No response so far. But this mail address gets read, because when I asked earlier about where I can buy their bikes in my country, they responded within week or so.

Really ugly behaviour from their side. They have time to post all kind of unimportant stuff on their Facebook page, but their manuals are just inferior.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    I also wrote to them (info@bmc-switzerland.com) and asked about some instructions. No response so far. But this mail address gets read, because when I asked earlier about where I can buy their bikes in my country, they responded within week or so.

Really ugly behaviour from their side. They have time to post all kind of unimportant stuff on their Facebook page, but their manuals are just inferior.
    so, whats reminds me here is have you try to post the problem on their facebook site?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well, I'm not that desperate yet to join Facebook just for that

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    any news???

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nope. I just found out that they haven't responded for my email for one month, so I asked again. Will see.

mtbr member
    I still haven't heard back either. Was on a road trip for a couple weeks and really expecting a response. Fortunately I had some spare parts to work with, although the bolt is still loosening up. I love my BMC, but I cannot accept poor customer service when I spend 10,000 on 2 bikes. They did warranty a broken frame fairly quickly a couple years ago, but this good around has been frustrating. Think I might be taking money elsewhere next new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi kinsler, is your fs01 a 29er or 26?

I remember some member ID named "BMCUSA"maybe? used to respon question for the brand, have a try

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    New trailfox TF 29

find this link,may be you can try to contact the op "RiDe_BMC"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi Kinsler,

I had an FS03 with a faulty rear pivot part. When I snugged it down, the bolt bottomed out on the nut and there was still play in the link. I talked to Tyler Miller a tech at BMC. He ground down the bolt so it wouldn't bottom as a temporary fix which worked. He was also able to send me replacement parts. Because my frame was less than a year old it was under warranty. I think you can order a rear suspension pivot kit from a BMC dealer. Anyway Tyler should be able to help out with some tips and parts. His email is Tyler.Miller@bmc-switzerland.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scombridae View Post
    Hi Kinsler,

I had an FS03 with a faulty rear pivot part. When I snugged it down, the bolt bottomed out on the nut and there was still play in the link. I talked to Tyler Miller a tech at BMC. He ground down the bolt so it wouldn't bottom as a temporary fix which worked. He was also able to send me replacement parts. Because my frame was less than a year old it was under warranty. I think you can order a rear suspension pivot kit from a BMC dealer. Anyway Tyler should be able to help out with some tips and parts. His email is Tyler.Miller@bmc-switzerland.com

Emailed Tyler and he's getting new rear pivot kit sent out to me. Thanks! If I knew how to rep you I'd pour it on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    Emailed Tyler and he's getting new rear pivot kit sent out to me. Thanks! If I knew how to rep you I'd pour it on!
    Good to hear that! It will be nice that if you can take some pics while the whole rebuild process