mtbr member

Frames - Sette Ace XC or 2007 BMC Trailfox 2.0

Decisions decisions decisions.....

First I've never owned a FS bike, i'm currently on a hardtail and plan on swapping over my components to the new frame if I do decide to go ahead with the purchase. My current bike (08 Giant XTC) is not stock and has almost everything upgraded so I do not want to get a complete bike. I'm 5'10 with a 31inseam.

They are both the same price, but I was looking to get some opinions on the 2 frames. Mainly used for XC. If you were to choose one why? I first started off see'ing the Sette Ace XC and then came across the BMC..

Sette Ace XC (18.5inch):

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/184...onarch-3.3.htm

or

2007 BMC Trailfox 2.0 (17inch):

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...+Frame+07.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Honestly, I don't know much about either company (they most likely get their frames from elsewhere).

However, on design alone, I'd side with the BMC. I like the three-point pivot linkage over the linkage system on the Sette.

After that, it just depends on overall weight, welding techniques, etc
    2006 Giant Pistol 1 - Full XT Drivetrain

mtbr member
    What is the travel on the fork on your 08 XTC that you'd be swapping over?
    The Sette is a 100mm (4") travel rear suspension, and they recommend using a 100mm-120mm fork with it. The BMC is 120mm (5") rear suspension and they recommend using a 110-140mm fork with it. If the fork on your XTC is the stock 100mm, and that's what you'd be putting on either of the frames, then you'd probably want to go with the Sette as the 100mm is probably too short of travel to balance out the BMC frame correctly.

The Sette's rear suspension design is a faux four-bar, with the rear pivot on the seatstay to get around Specialized's patented Horst FSR linkage. This won't perform as well has the Advanced Pivot System on the BMC (which looks and performs similiar to the highly rated DW-link rear suspension).

Another thing to consider is what your current frames BB width is and therefore what BB is in it. The Sette has a 73mm Bottom Bracket, the BMC a 68mm BB. If your XTC has a 68mm BB, then you'll need a new 73mm BB with the Sette frame. Conversely, if the XTC has a 73mm BB, then you'll need a new 68mm BB for the BMC.

I have an 07 BMC Fourstroke (100mm travel) and the suspension action and build quality is first rate. Between the two frames, I would rate the BMC much higher than the Sette, but the issue would be what fork you'd be using.

Also, what size XTC are you riding? I ask this since you mentioned comparing the 18.5" Sette and the 17" BMC. Why would you not consider the 19" BMC size?

mtbr member
    Thanks for your inputs..

I have the 08' Reba Uturn 85-115mm fork currently. I got this fork not to long ago, the steerer tube is currently cut to (8 3/16").

As for the BB I have the 08' Shimano LX Hollowtech II, and I have the spacers which should be able to adjust to the different widths.

I'm currently riding a medium size XTC 18", and I'm wanting to get something a little bit smaller than what I currently have. Just preference.

mtbr member
    Cool, that fork should work with either frame (BMC website says they are fitting 120mm forks to the Trailfox) and the steerer tube cut length should work on either bike (Sette is 120mm/4.7" headtube, BMC is 140mm (5.5"). I have Shimano HollowtechII cranks and you are correct that it will work with either 68 or 73mm BB with the right spacer arrangement.

Looks like both have 73 degree seat tubes with the Sette having 70 degree headtube vs. the 69 deg of the Trailfox, so their pretty close in that respect.

It's probably going to come down to whether you want 4" rear travel or 5" travel and which suspension design you prefer.

The both have great reviews:
    http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/sette/xc-sus...6_1526crx.aspx
    http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/bmc/xc-suspe...9_1526crx.aspx

workin' it Administrator
    First as far as quality goes I would tend towards the BMC. They have a good support system in the US, have a great build quality (the frames have a definite german industrial clean appearance and quality) and they ride really nicely. I demoed a BMC and they were great to deal with and great to answer questions.

Second the sette is just a generic bike available from pricepoint, which as many who had supergo bikes could attest, could stay or disappear with no notice and little support. BMC is imported by quality bikes, sponsors major teams on both dirt and road and is available all over the world.

Get the BMC.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Thanks again Whitedog and Rockcrusher for your responses.

I actually got to see the BMC frame in person at JensonUSA, and it looks very well built. I think i'll lean towards the BMC, but I am going to have to think this over now if I should spend the money...=X

mtbr member
    Just came up with another question, in regards to the BMC. Will the existing chain I have on my Giant XTC length wise work with the BMC (It has a longer chainstay from what I read). Will this mean a longer chain is required? I'm running a long cage SRAM X.5 rear derailleur, if that makes a difference.

workin' it Administrator
    more than likely if you are coming from a hardtail you will need a longer chain, but it is better to get a new chain anyway.

That said you will more than likely need a new seatpost and front derailleur plus new cables and if you run hydro brakes possibly new lines as well.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Got it, thanks!