mtbr member
    Nov 2006

frame weight of bmc fourstroke fs02?

anyone know what it is? i'm having trouble finding it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    geeze louise. i guess nobody knows.

the train keeps rollin
    ever try google? universal cycles lists the weights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, i googled it. universal cycles has the 01 and the 03 frame but not the 02. go figure.

mtbr member
    universal cycles has the 01 and the 03 frame but not the 02
    Er... aren't the 02 and 03 frames indentical? You just need to take into account the different shock on the 03.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just built a BMC fourstroke 02 2007 model. The frame weight is 5.8 lbs (including rear shock) for a 19". I hope this helps. The 02 and 03 frames are not identical for 2007. The 02 has carbon in the seat stay and twistahas legs.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Four stroke reviews

Wyoman, I was looking for some info on BMC mountain bikes. What are your thoughts on the Four Stoke.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoman
    I just built a BMC fourstroke 02 2007 model. The frame weight is 5.8 lbs (including rear shock) for a 19". I hope this helps. The 02 and 03 frames are not identical for 2007. The 02 has carbon in the seat stay and twistahas legs.
    yes, this does help. thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I own both an '06 03 and a '07 02. I rode the 03 for a year and liked it so much that I built up an 02 this year. I believe BMC has an excellent design. My first impression was that the BMC design was gimicky but once I studied the build of the frame I understood how the "skeleton" design offered what no other manufactueres do. I was impressed. The fourstoke design is a four-bar so it will be heavier than simpler designs but you gain rear axel that is curvilinear insteard of an arch. I have had no reliability problems with my two BMC's. You can read the reviews that are posted. The 02 model was not avalible in the US untill this year. I believe that for the cost the 03 is a great buy and worthy of a high end build. I recomend looking at the fourstroke frame in person so you can see how they are constructed. I think that you'll be impressed and in comparison find other frames lacking detail and design that you wish you had. Obviously that is my bias for what it is worth.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It is hard to find much information on BMC. I do not have a local dealer so will have to go out and do some more research.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I own both an '06 03 and a '07 02. I rode the 03 for a year and liked it so much that I built up an 02 this year. I believe BMC has an excellent design. My first impression was that the BMC design was gimicky but once I studied the build of the frame I understood how the "skeleton" design offered what no other manufactueres do. I was impressed. The fourstoke design is a four-bar so it will be heavier than simpler designs but you gain rear axel that is curvilinear insteard of an arch. I have had no reliability problems with my two BMC's. You can read the reviews that are posted. The 02 model was not avalible in the US untill this year. I believe that for the cost the 03 is a great buy and worthy of a high end build. I recomend looking at the fourstroke frame in person so you can see how they are constructed. I think that you'll be impressed and in comparison find other frames lacking detail and design that you wish you had. Obviously that is my bias for what it is worth.
    You seem to know what your talkinig about with the fourstrokes. Currently I'm trying to decide between a Salsa El santo and the fourstroke 03 - and it's very difficult to find any info about either of these bikes.

- How tall are you and what size frame do you run?
    - What other bikes have you ridden in the past before the BMC?
    - Do you ever notice the 'overly long' wheelbase?
    - Any idea how much heavier the 03 frame is then the 02?
    - When you weighed your frame - was that with the headset or anything else?
    I currently ride a salsa hardtail and love it - this was my main reason to get the dually - so i could have matching bikes. But I'm being told the BMC is something special - it seems you agree

Anything else you could tell me about this bike? I have seen them in person (I work at a dealership) and they are nice.. but sadly I have not ridden one nor weighed one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ... the build of the frame I understood how the "skeleton" design offered what no other manufactueres do. I was impressed...
    I was looking at this model too... I've curious about the design of the top tube junction with the sat tube, is this the "skeleton" design? and how does it offer a different desgins offered by other manufacturers? Thanks for the info!! And, any info on how to test ride one of these guys would be fantastic too!

matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i don't have much experience with full suspension and am in the market for one in about a year, so i have some time to shop around. i currently ride a pretty light felt hardtail. i rode a fourstroke around the parking lot at the local shop that carries them but it's pretty hard to get a feel for how they really perform in a parking lot(with some dips). a friend at that shop who knows them pretty well says they ride just like a blur but are a little stiffer. right now i'm thinking about the fs02, the giant anthem, and possibly an frm 10hp because i can get a good deal on them through my shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here is what I know:
    I am 6 ft. tall. Based on my inseam length I am between a 19 and 21 inch frame so I choose a 19in and donít feel cramped in the cockpit with a 110 mm stem and zero setback seat post. I donít have much experience with other designs; I tend to ride bikes until a museum offers me money to display them (think of the early 90ís proflex with elastomer rear suspension) and an early Kona design that I can no longer recall. I have ridden many bikes but owned few. I donít believe that it is fair to make comparisons based on a switch-a-roo with my friends bikes and conclude that one is better than the other. An honest mountain biker should admit that there are several frames that are satisfactory if properly fitted. However, because I knowingly fall in love with my bikes and plan to ride them for a long time I place a premium on reliability. Of course, this means that I must re-educate myself to keep up with new trends when I am back in the market.

Accordingly, I was surprised to find BMC among the many bikes out there and I admit that I initially wrote it off until I learned more about it. I didnít consider the wheelbase when making my choice. My position is that wheelbase is adaptable to ridding style and not performance inhibiting among all possible factors. But if you know what you are looking for donít compromise on what you donít want.

Unfortunately, I donít know the weight difference between the 2006 003 and the 2007 02. I always calculate gram per dollar ratio on the bikes that I build and I recommend doing the same to help decide if the difference is worth your money. For example, you donít want to spend most of your budget on a light weight frame and be forced to use heavy weight components just to ride it. On the other hand, if youíre willing to upgrade over time you donít want a heavy frame to limit your bike weight despite using light weight components. Thatís my thinking anyway, so I guess it all depends on money. Note that the 2006 frames are different for 2007 and thus will weight differently. The í06 01 is now the í07 02 and the í07 01 is now made out of full CNT carbon and I donít even want to know the price. A bonus feature is that the fourstroke can be converted from 120mm of rear travel to 150 mm of rear travel with a new rocker arm and horst link (sold as a kit) and the fourstroke is approved for 130mm front forks.

When I weighed my 02 frame it included the lower and upper bearing cup which are pressed into the frame. The FSA integrated ZS-3 headset is included with the frame but to my knowledge it is the only headset that is compatible with the BMC diameter head tube. Reducer cups are not available for say a C. King external bearing headset.

Here is the advantage of the ďskeletal designĒ (it helps to look at the frame). Critical tube junctions are connected by a separately machined joint that connects tubes as per what you see in the meeting of the seat-tube and the top-tube. This feature is also found in the bottom bracket, dropout, and the support for the rocker arm placed on the seat-tube. The goal is to make stiffer joints and perfect angles. In this respect, this is where BMC excels and is not matched. Additionally, I cringe whenever I see bikes with poor bushings that when ridden sound like rocking chairs. BMC appears accomplished in this aspect too since my frame is still silent (time will tell).

I canít make comparisons between bikes that I havenít owned so I will only tell you what my experience is. BMCís are new to MTB so I took a gamble but I am satisfied thus far. All things considered, mountain biking is about happiness so donít discredit sentimental feelings for a trusted friend or the possibility of owning a new ďdream bikeĒ whatever choice you make. I hope that you can take advantage of what I have learned along the way.

Attached are pictures of my 2007 02. Complete bike is 26.1 lbs thanks in part to a set of
    I9 wheels! I tried to keep with a white /silver color scheme with minimal compromise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Ok - so it looks like i may be on a blinged out fourstroke 03 by the end of the week (Will have to canabalise my Salsa Bandito for parts - oh the horror!).

I threw a leg over a 19" which on paper looks ideal - but my stand over space is far from ideal (read: nearly non existant)... I think this is due to the rather high BB. I'm just over 5'7" - does a 19" sound about right? On paper it is... as it has a 587mm effective reach where my salsa has a 585mm and feels great - but once on the bike it feels much bigger then the geo leads me to believe.

Any insight into this? Am I just stuck with a bike that has no standover height?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, it's too bad that frames (BMC) only come in 2 inch intervals. The top tube slope is approximately 34 1/2 at the head tube and slants to 30 1/2 at the seat tube. Of course, it only matters where you stand over the bike. If you plan on ridding XC, when dismounts are predictable, little stand over space may be tolerable. Who knows, factors like tire selection, and shoe sole thickness may make a difference.

FYI BMC also makes the "trail fox" which is the AM model and may have the geometry you are looking for such as shorter wheelbase, lower stand over height, longer suspension, etc. In '06 the AM model was called the superstroke, now in '07 it is called the trail fox. The geometry of the fourstroke is intended for XC ridding.

Alternatively, how does the effective reach on a 17" feel? If 17" geometry doesn't feel right then you may feel more confident in a 19" knowing that nothing is perfect (i.e. no 18" inch avalible). I understand the importance of getting a good fit. But don't underestimate your ability to adapt your ridding style. Be willing to get a new stem, the same length on your Bandito may not work on a FS.
    Send pictures when you get set up!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Ok.. so it turns out that the 17" feels ALOT better then the Geo spec sheet led me to believe.. these really are large feeling bikes!

The bike is built and is sitting JUST under 24lbs. But she is not quite done yet.. As I needed longer then a 350mm post, my masterpeice will not work So I ordered an Elite, at the moment I am using a 27.2 Elite with a shim to get me the right length, this is a heavy set-up. Also the chain is just for a wee while - until my KMC arrives I think I may have to flip the stem aswell - the bike feels good.. but I think the bars should be lower.

For those of you who are interested - my 17" 03 frame with FSA headset (and bearings) Rockshox Ario rear shock and seat post binder bolts weighed 2.78kg (6.16lbs) - not light but not THAT bad.

The build quality on these bikes are just great - lovely welds, awesome bearings and it feels plenty stiff

I was too anxious to ride it, so it has a little dirt on it (it's not so picture perfect).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great bike! Your going to get some attention on the trails with that rig. I'm impressed with the finished weight. Thanks for sharing your pics. Ride hard!