mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff

Wow mojo contender all over this thing. I heard a 67.5 HA and 150mm. Not much on the site aside from this:

http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bike...x-01-2012.html

and two 29ers!!!! I am so screwed and my slr01 is pretty pissed.

mtbr member
    sweet great....

mtb'er
    I demo'd a carbon 2012 Trail Fox from Folsom Bike today, and rode about 30 miles in Auburn, CA... home of lots of ups and downs. The bike is an All-Mountain MACHINE! Weighing in at roughly 25 lbs, this SOB climbed more efficient than my hardtail Stumpy EVO 1x10 and descended very well (not quite as plush as my '06 Nomad, but not complaining). I know nothing about BMC, but is this THE bike? I have not ridden a carbon Nomad or and Ibis Mojo, but I can't see either of those performing any better than this rig. 25lbs vs. the 32.5 Nomad I'm used to... and the Talas fork rules. I wish I had the $$$ to purchase

mtb'er
    Ummmm... update: My buddy and I, who both rode the carbon Trailfoxes yesterday... well, we both discovered we(?) cracked the frames... in the same place. Top tube, just in front of the seat post

Sooooo.... while I still feel the bike is probably the best performing all-mountain bike I've ridden, obviously BMC has an issue to deal with in terms of the frame stability. Keep that in mind before ordering. Such issues are not uncommon for many bike manufacturers, and as far as I know, BMC has probably already dealt with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Interesting, so you each demo'd a bike and each cracked a frame. How did you figure this out? Did the shop point it out?

Was it in between the top-seat tube strut?

Sharp as a knife facts cut a hole in us.
    I'm still lusting. I..I..I'm still lusting.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    Interesting, so you each demo'd a bike and each cracked a frame. How did you figure this out? Did the shop point it out?

Was it in between the top-seat tube strut?

Sharp as a knife facts cut a hole in us.
    I'm still lusting. I..I..I'm still lusting.
    After the ride, my buddy was cleaning the bike up to return it and noticed the crack. Then I looked at the one I rode, and it had the same crack! When we went back to the shop, they were surprised but cool (they don't own the bikes... it was part of a BMC traveling demo thing). I asked one of the shop guys if they noticed cracks on any of the other demo's they had, but didn't get an answer.

Here's a photo of mine. My buddy's was worse:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-dsc05507_medium.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Outch!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are these frames available yet? Anymore ride reports.

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    repairable? how was it resolved?

mtb'er
    they were demo's. We returned them to the shop. I have no idea what happened from there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    crap

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Voici le petit suisse :

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here is the story of my experience with BMC frames from the last four months...

I'm about 6'4 and 105kg (~225 lbs) but mostly XC riding - no real drops or anything just normal XC riding - These are all alloy frames

1st bike - 2009 BMCTF03 snapped downtube around Sep 2011 (Purchased Oct 2010)

2nd Bike - Warranty replacement for TF03 - 2009 TF01 frame replaced in ~November 2011 - crack in the top tube 4ish weeks later

3rd Bike - Warranty replacement for TF01 - 2010 Speedfox 01 (Replaced in the 2nd week Jan 2012) - 5 weeks later crack in the top tube...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0169.jpg  

Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0190.jpg  

Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0315.jpg  

Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0442.jpg  

Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0506.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry the 3rd pic should be this one - 2009 TF01 alloy frame crack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff-img_0318.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You worry me. We just bought 2 BMC bikes. The sfo1 as a frame to build up and an sf03. Haven't even received them yet. Both are 2011 models. Did all these frames crack on drops or just trail riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Both my TF01 and SF01 were 2010 models, and I'm a big guy so that may be the cause. I have a friend that rides a 2009 TF02 and he has had not problems at all. he's only about 160lbs though

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I missed the part that they were carbon. We didn't get the carbon, but my husband is about 230, however he's not planning on doing drops or even logs for that matter just trails. I hope it holds out. I'll post otherwise. Thanks