Thread: Cracked frame

mtbr member

Cracked frame

Noticed this after a 50 mile bike race last weekend.... Thankfully covered under warranty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked frame-img_0568.jpg  

Cracked frame-img_0567.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What is this? More info needed here.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

Jan 2012
    I am about to saw my second TF02 frame in half once I hear back about warranty replacement. My cracks were both on the top tube right before the divide though.
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    This is my 2011 Speedfox 01. I've had it since August and probably put about 100 miles a week on it. I weigh 150 lbs and haven't done anything crazy on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bummer. At least they are taking care of you.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi - i am on my third BMC frame in approx. 4 months. The first one was a 2009 TF03 that cracked through on the downtube as yours has. That was replaced under warranty with a TF01 (same year). The TF01 subsequently cracked on the top tube just in front of where it splits to connect to the down tube. This was replaced under warranty approx. 5 weeks ago with a Speedfox 01 (2010) This has also now developed a crack in the top tube just in front of where it divides into two.

I am a big guy (Approx. 225 lbs) but do not ride the bikes hard (the usual bumps etc.) and I would expect the frames to be able to stand up to someone much bigger than me. If they are not built for bigger guys there should be some restriction on who they can sell them to.

The retailer has been very helpful through the whole process, but the experience has completely shattered my confidence in BMC mountain bikes. I am waiting to see what their next move will be...

Jan 2012
    cwsmith, I am in the exact same boat as you, same weight and everything. I am about to get my third TF02. Well that's my guess because I am waiting to hear back from BMC after it has been a full month since I first contacted my dealer. I am hoping to sell whatever they give me and have enough money to buy a good downhill bike. However, I do ride pretty hard. I just think that BMC uses thin aluminum tubing that just doesn't hold up to anyone much more than 210. My mindset on the issue is that BMC likely still makes great bikes for people that weigh less than 195 or so. I have just learned my lesson and will hopefully end up with a sweet 8" DH sled in the end
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi Teqtonik - I am going to try a slightly different approach and see if the dealer will offer a different brand of frame - We have recently had some changes to consumer protection laws here in Aus that mean that if the goods aren't of merchantable quality, they have to give you a refund if you ask for it

I do a few XC events a year, but luckily nothing for the next few weeks

Keep in contact and let me know how you go - I'm sure that BMC will be keen to avoid any negative feedback about their bikes so hopefully will bend over backwards to help

mtb'er
    not sure where all the old threads went, but my buddy and I both cracked demo TF 02's last summer (Do want: 2012 Trailfox Carbon and stuff). Sounds like they have fixed the issue... maybe you guys have the defective frames?

Jan 2012
    I would love all 8 grand of a carbon TF01 too, as long as I knew I wouldn't have a cracked frame on my hands in 6 months! lol
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    I got my SF01 this August. I weigh about 150 lb. I do ride on really rocky technical terrain, but I don't do anything crazy on this bike. I'm a big fan of the bike so hopefully I won't have any more issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A couple of pics of my history with BMC dualies...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked frame-img_0172.jpg  

Cracked frame-img_0191.jpg  

Cracked frame-img_0318.jpg  

Cracked frame-img_0442.jpg  

Cracked frame-img_0506.jpg  

Jan 2012
    Just got off the phone with Competitive Cyclist, my frame shipped from Switzerland on Tuesday. I'm curious whether they had any 2011s in stock or if I will have the yellow 2012? Either way, I am selling it as soon as I swap everything over.
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think BMC need to handle this issue very carefully, as word of mouth travels quickly and they already have a bad rep amongst the guys I ride with, and when people get together on forums like this it can get out there very quickly. I know that they are very helpful, but if the frames keep breaking, no amount of customer service is going to save their brand.

Jan 2012
    That's why I am reluctant to even post in this thread, I am going to have to sell this dumb thing
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Im glad that sold my -09 TF01 few months ago

Jan 2012
    New frame got here today

Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Teqtonik View Post
    New frame got here today

Sweet! Build it and go for a ride.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

Jan 2012
    Yeah right! this one will not see the slightest spec of dirt. It is getting sold and I am getting a transition
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cwsmith75 View Post
    Hi Teqtonik - I am going to try a slightly different approach and see if the dealer will offer a different brand of frame - We have recently had some changes to consumer protection laws here in Aus that mean that if the goods aren't of merchantable quality, they have to give you a refund if you ask for it

I do a few XC events a year, but luckily nothing for the next few weeks

Keep in contact and let me know how you go - I'm sure that BMC will be keen to avoid any negative feedback about their bikes so hopefully will bend over backwards to help
    Man, that's a tough law for retailer. I'm a retailer, I can't control quality at mfg processing. If you can, have BMC handle it. That's very taxing for your retailer, and it will come out of their pocket. Sounds to me like BMC knows about this issue. Has decided to keep replacing instead of reengineering the frame!